Which is better reader to work with clone?

vbimport

I have just finished putting together a new PC. I am trying to decide which is better to use as a reader against Safedisc and Securom…etc… The two drives I am deciding between is a Toshiba DVD-Rom SD-M1212 6x and a Lite-on DVD Rom 16x ltd-163 (shows up in device manager as a JLMS XJ-HD166S). I also want to know which is more compatible with clonecd, which is why I am posting this here.

Thx :slight_smile:

[edit]Any advice on which is a better sub reader or weak sector reader would also greatly help.

I have the Liteon LTD163D(shows in device manager as thus) and it has never let me down. I have most newer games with safedisk and securom protections. I read all games at max speed with CCD. With CCD and either Sony CRX175 or Asus 5224, safedisk is a walk in the park. Securom is easily beaten with BWA builder, twinpeak and CCD. All burns at max speed also.:slight_smile:

What do you mean by shows up as thus? Why does mine show up differently? Even though my toshiba is older, I am just skepticle because all the tests, like the sheep test, revolve around a toshiba dvd-rom.

Also, anyone know if the litey dvd can read the pre-gap correctly, I know my toshi does cause I used it to copy new SD with DiscJuggler.

Toshiba drives are better at extracting subs.

On the balance of what I have read in the forums, I would say that the Toshiba is probably the beter reader, especially in reading the sub-channel. However the read quality scores against it when it comes to reading the disks made with a twinpeak patched CloneCD image. So, if you don’t install from the originals you will need 2 play disks of each SecuROM V4 game you backup. An unpatched one to install from and a patched one to play from.

The quality of Sub-code reading was only important with the release of SecuROM immediately prior to V4, when some Lite-On burners would not correctly extract the sub-code, however the ‘Lite-On SecuROM New’ profile [which regenerated data sectors] seemed to cure that problem.

So on balance I would go for the Lite-On, the flexibility of the drive would be more important to me that the exactness of the read. However the next release of SecuROM or SafeDisk could change all that…

As for the lite-On drive that you have, if the device manager says you have a 166S, then I would believe that. If you were bought a 163 then you got a newer drive for the price of an old one - enjoy…

Does anyone know if one of the following drives can read subs correct (and fast):

• SONY DRU510;
  • Plextor Premium;
  • Lite-On LTR52246S/ LTR52327S?

Thanks.

Toshiba DVD-Rom SD-M1212

or the m1612???

Originally posted by damiandimitri
[B]

or the m1612??? [/B]

Nope, you heard it correctly the first time

SD-M1212 :smiley:

the best reader is an ASUS burner but to partner it, you need a Toshi sd-m1402

Originally posted by Namoh
[B]Does anyone know if one of the following drives can read subs correct (and fast):

• SONY DRU510;
  • Plextor Premium;
  • Lite-On LTR52246S/ LTR52327S?

Thanks. [/B]

Anyone?? :confused:

yes
yes
no

nobody has really still given me a direct answer, should i chose the toshi or litey dvd rom as my reader???

They’re both good readers. Take your pick.

However, consider 2 things-

[list=1]
[li]If you go with the tosh, you’ll be able to use it as a reader to copy sd 2.8 and 2.9 with discjuggler but you will not be able to install a twinpeak copy of a securom 4.8x game from that drive.
[/li][li]If you go with the Litey, you will be able to install from a twinpeak copy but it may not read the pre-gap of sd 2.8 and 2.9 cds well enough to use discjuggler (still ok with alcohol or discdump/fireburner though).
[/li][/list=1]

Personally, I’d go with the Litey because of its greater tolerance of copies than the tosh, particularly if you have an Asus writer (other than the 24x model) which itself reads the pre-gap with sufficient accuracy to use dj.

Originally posted by FutureProof
yes
yes
no

Thanks.

Originally posted by xtacydima
nobody has really still given me a direct answer, should i chose the toshi or litey dvd rom as my reader???

I’ve already said this;

Originally posted by Orinoco
… I would go for the Lite-On, the flexibility of the drive would be more important to me that the exactness of the read.

and subsiquently…

Originally posted by philamber
Personally, I’d go with the Litey because of its greater tolerance of copies than the tosh …

which means the Litey is now 2 - 0 up.

Off the topic but my Litey LTD 165H can rip a dvd(11-12x) much faster than the “turtle” Toshi(SD-M1502= 2x). The Litey has fast dae& accuracy to, and plays backups of SecuROM 4.8.x& Safedisc 2.9.x flawlessly. There is some “hacked” firmware for particular Toshi dvd-roms that allows the drive to rip dvd’s at a much faster speed. I’ve had both drives for about a year and for what I do, the Litey is my personal prefernace.

Shoey :cool:

I’ve just finished a quick look at the Pioneer A06. The specs state that it can rip

DVD-ROM (single) Max 12x CAV (16.62MB/s)
DVD-ROM (dual) Max 8x CAV (11.08MB/s)

12x is pretty darn good and 8x is not bad either. My 1402 seems to rip a single at 8x and a dual at snails pace. I don’t rip much with my 163D but I guess I should take another look

I would go for the Lite-On. And my reasons are already stated by others. (3-0 for Litey).

Lite-On LTD 165H (JLMS XJ-HD165H) Nero DVD Speed test results:

Shoey :cool:

But regarding reading DVD-R Tosh is faster then LiteOn (hackfirm)