Which is better PX-716A or PX-716SA

vbimport

Greetings Gentlemen

Congratulations to all the members on a very good forum and all the very helpful and useful information posted by the members in all the threads, from what I been reading for a wile now in this Plextor sub-forum it sounds like the Plextor PX-716A is a very good burner. I been looking around to buy one and have noticed on the TechBuy.com.au web sites there are 2 types one being the PX-716A and the other the PX-716SA burners advertised for sale one being a Internal IDE and the other being a Internal Serial ATA (SATA). Any thoughts on one type being better than the other ? or is there any advantage in having Serial ATA over IDE other than to free up a IDE channel for a extra HD or burner? Also are Plextor DVD burners as good in burning CD’s as the Plextor CD burners of old used to be ? Im interested is some feed back from members that are currently or have previously used the IDE or Serial ATA PX-716A and if they think one is better than the other and why they think so. Any feed back is greatly appreciated and would like to hear some comments both good and bad about the PX-716A and SA burner.

There are no differences at all apart from the connector.
I’ve read about a lot of problems with the SATA version on this forum (incompatibilities with SATA controllers), so I would strongly recommend the IDE version.

it sounds like the Plextor PX-716A is a very good burner.
Where did you get such an impression??

Any feed back is greatly appreciated and would like to hear some comments both good and bad about the PX-716A and SA burner.
Just look at the write quality sticky

Forgot to answer that one. :wink:

• I don’t know how well the old Plextors used to burn CDs, but the PX-716A burns them perfectly at least if you use good media (e.g. Tayio Yuden, like the Plextor CD-Rs). :slight_smile:

Look at this scan I made. It was a Plextor 48x CD-R, burnt at 48x, and it’s really perfect. :slight_smile:

EAX_ECX

I am running two PX-716SA’s connected to my ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe motherboard. Over the years, I have had many Plextor products, starting with a Plextor SCSI CD-ROM in 1964. Without a doubt the Plextor PX-716SA’s are the best Plextor has ever offered.

I am using No Name 8X DVD-R media, and both Roxio and CloneDVD 2 offer to burn at 16X and 2.4X DVD+R Dual Layer media at 2.4X and 4X. Although I have burned at all the speeds offered, I almost always burn DVD-R’s at 4X and Dual Layer DVD+R’s at 2.4X.

The bottom line, I don’t remember when I last burned a coaster. The blank 8X DVD-R media that I am using are High-Speed DVD-R (DVDR) 8X 4.7GB White Inkjet Hub Printable Blank DVD Media, that only cost me 24 cents each.

BTW: dvd identifier identifies these discs as: Taiyo Yuden TYG02 which I’m told are about the best you can buy.

Eric

Sorry about that. This statement should read:

Plextor SCSI CD-ROM in 1994

Not: Plextor SCSI CD-ROM in 1964

Hehe. :slight_smile:

In the first 30 minutes after posting, you can edit your post with the button.

Regards,

ET

My 716 is a great burner as well as my 1640/3500/3530/3450/A09XL/2510/1616 etc

I enjoy the fast reading of the 716 and A09XL to feed my 1640 and 3500. But all my burners work great and say that NEC/PLEX/BQ/LITEON/PIO/LG current models will be fine. It is all about price and quality! Chas and others seem to have had great luck with the 1693 and others with the 1640. Those would be my top choices today! The 109 and 110D can be a bear to install on some systems. The 1640 and 3540 have had sporadic quality issues that are minimal IMHO.
However next week and month more burners will be out. So jump in if you need a burner. :cool:

PS/ get the internal if you are dying for a 716! LOL