Which is better, AD-7260S or AD-7280S?

vbimport

Hi all,
I currently own an AD-7200A but need to choose a drive for a new PC. I have been very happy with the AD-7200A, so thought I would stick with Optiarc again.

However, there seem to be a few Optiarc models currently available. I can currently choose between either the AD-7260S or the new AD-7280S, but is the AD-7280S better than the AD-7260S? As it appears to have only half the buffer memory? (I did read through the scans thread, but dont really know how to interpret the results)

Also, I have read that the chipset manufacturer has changed from NEC to Renesas, but since Renesas merged with NEC last year, is this still an NEC chipset just rebranded, or an entirely different chipset? :confused:

Lastly, should I perhaps be considering any older Optiarc drives, like the AD-7200S or AD-7240S? Taking into consideration that I would have to buy them used.

Thanks in advance for any advice/info :slight_smile:

First of all, I can’t really answer your main question, but I can add at least some information

[QUOTE=raptor93;2609771]As it appears to have only half the buffer memory? (I did read through the scans thread, but dont really know how to interpret the results)[/QUOTE]
While the 7260S seems to have 2 MB RAM, the 7280S only has 1 MB.

Also, I have read that the chipset manufacturer has changed from NEC to Renesas, but since Renesas merged with NEC last year, is this still an NEC chipset just rebranded, or an entirely different chipset? :confused:

The chipset of the AD-7280S is a successor of the one used in the AD-7260S. It’s not related to previous Renesas chipsets from before the NEC merger.

Just picked up an 7280S.

on the 1.20 firmware I see:
120_auto
120_rpc1
120_orig

Which one will allow bitsetting on DVD+R?

The chart is a little confusing.

Are these drive ok for ripping audio? Anything better out there offhand?

Welcome mrboonmee, I can’t tell you if there is anything better but 1.20 auto is for bitsetting

[QUOTE=mrboonmee;2617378]Just picked up an 7280S.

on the 1.20 firmware I see:
120_auto
120_rpc1
120_orig

Which one will allow bitsetting on DVD+R?

The chart is a little confusing.

Are these drive ok for ripping audio? Anything better out there offhand?[/QUOTE]

The 1.20 is a IOdata OEM firmware which supports auto-bitsetting on DVD+R. So all of them support bitsetting automatically. The 120_auto is a RPC2 AutoReset patched firmware.

As 2601 already explained, the 1.20 firmware should automatically bitset at least DVD+R and DVD+R-DL. However this firmware will not work on most retail 7280S drives, so you probably have to use 1.01 instead

[QUOTE=Liggy;2617394]As 2601 already explained, the 1.20 firmware should automatically bitset at least DVD+R and DVD+R-DL. However this firmware will not work on most retail 7280S drives, so you probably have to use 1.01 instead[/QUOTE]

ok, well this is an OEM drive i bought, no retail box etc. Is there another drive that would be better?

thx

Didn’t know where to post my question and decided to post it here.

So, I’ve got 7261S with dead laser head. I really needed lightscribe feature, so I’ve searched more and found 7260S with dead board (with wrecked chipset), and then I took its laser head and replaced the dead one in 7261S - it worked and now I have nicely working drive with lightscribe. But… The laser head from that 7260 is quite old and used as far I know and I want new laser head for possible future replacement, just in case. My question is simple - will the laser head from 5280/7280 fit? Should I buy one of them for this purpose? Thanks in advance for possible help.