Which is best to backup movies - DVR+R or DVD-R?

vbimport

Which is best to backup movies ? -R or +R . I have been using TY DVD+R and my supplier tells me that “a lot of dvd players do not like dvd-video made with +R single layer media”. I backup with CloneDVD/AnyDVD.

My burner is a TSSTcorp DVD±RW TS H-653B in a Dell computer. Dell does not have firmware updates for this drive.

Thanks for your help

[QUOTE=JGobeil;2512293]Which is best to backup movies ? -R or +R .[/quote] +

My supplier tells me that “a lot of dvd players do not like dvd-video made with +R single layer media”.
I have yet to see a normal dvd player that cannot handle +. Where does your supplier base this information upon?

[QUOTE=JGobeil;2512293]Which is best to backup movies ? -R or +R . I have been using TY DVD+R and my supplier tells me that “a lot of dvd players do not like dvd-video made with +R single layer media”. I backup with CloneDVD/AnyDVD.[/QUOTE]

What you heard can be more accurately described as “a lot of DVD players do not like DVD-Video made with +R single-layer media that has not been booktyped to DVD-ROM during the write process.” Unfortunately, not all computer DVD burners support such booktyping on DVD+R single-layer media, which is why many of us have two or more DVD burners installed in the same PC. (For example, Pioneer DVD burners do not support the booktyping of DVD+R single-layer media to DVD-ROM with their stock firmware although there are firmware hacks available to enable such booktyping.)

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2512296]+

I have yet to see a normal dvd player that cannot handle +. Where does your supplier base this information upon?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your answer. I don’t know on what it is based. Here is the complete comment:
“a lot of dvd players do not like dvd-video made with +R single layer media. This is very well known. Customers buying +R for dvd-video usually use “bit setting” on their burner so that the disk reads as a “dvd rom” to avoid such problems. Not all burners have this feature though. If your burner is old, you may not have the latest firmware installed.”

Checking on the CloneDVD forum, I see this comment that would go along with what my supplier is writing:
“For +R, +RW, and +R DL blank media, change the booktype of the blank media you’re using to “DVD-ROM”, if your burner supports bitsetting changes. This step improves the chances of playability in/compatibility with (standalone, mostly) DVD players. The best way to do this is through the software that came with your burner (if possible)”.

Regards
Jules

Did you check the date on those claims? :slight_smile:
Sure, it’s best to use booktype if you can. That’s why i got a NEC.
But i guess todays players (especially the chinese crap, they are FAR better than the high brands!) should be able to handle anything you throw at them.

[QUOTE=RJL65;2512304]What you heard can be more accurately described as “a lot of DVD players do not like DVD-Video made with +R single-layer media that has not been booktyped to DVD-ROM during the write process.” Unfortunately, not all computer DVD burners support such booktyping on DVD+R single-layer media, which is why many of us have two or more DVD burners installed in the same PC. (For example, Pioneer DVD burners do not support the booktyping of DVD+R single-layer media to DVD-ROM with their stock firmware although there are firmware hacks available to enable such booktyping.)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your reply. My burner seems to support booktyping to DVD-ROM. Nero DiskSpeed 5 tells me this about one of my backups:
Disk type: DVD+R
Book Type: DVD-ROM

If you had to choose one to backup movies, which one would it be, +R or -R ?

Regards
J

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2512312]Did you check the date on those claims? :slight_smile:
Sure, it’s best to use booktype if you can. That’s why i got a NEC.
But i guess todays players (especially the chinese crap, they are FAR better than the high brands!) should be able to handle anything you throw at them.[/QUOTE]

Here is the link:
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=29302
The comment is dated 8 april 2009, edited 25 nov. 2009.

If I understand correctly, you are saying that it doesn’t matter if I use +R or -R to backup movies ? As I wrote in the previous post, my burner uses booktype.

The Wii and BenQ drives in xbox 360s don’t seem to like DVD+R never had any problems with a real DVD player

All my standalones play both fine .All but one is a rebadged Funai of assorted flavors though.One only burns -R it plays both . Even an older Samsung player only has no problems with either.
So there may have been a time when this was true.Now mine do OK.
I even have several discs burned with a Matsushita “Hammer” drive that didn’t allow Booksetting to DVD-ROM I haven’t had any of those not play either.

Yea… but let’s go back to my original question. Which is best to backup movies, +R or -R ?

I have been having problems with my backup disks and I want to make sure I correct the problem. I was using stick on labels and from now on I will be printing on the disks (just ordered an Epson Artisan 700). I also want to make sure I use the most suitable type of blank disks.

I personally use +R (and bitset when/if needed, depending on the player I will use to view it, and whether it will tolerate plain ol’ +R booktype).

The two DVD recorders I’ve owned (Philips and currently an LG), play +R whether bitset or not. Ditto with a really old Philips player.

Generally, I’d say go with whichever you like, as long as you’re using quality discs and don’t burn too fast (I usually burn at 8x-12x).

I prefer +R too. A few years ago, I have been producing a lot of video DVDs (putting travel videos on DVD for customers) on bitset DVD+R. I got few (maybe 2%) of them back and had to replace them with DVD-R that worked flawlessly.

Nowadays even non-bitset DVD+R shouldn’t be a problem with recent standalones.
The cheap no-name DVD standalones are not necessarily better than the expensive brands, but the really old and picky players from expensive brands just won’t die. :slight_smile:

If you burn DL, the best option will be (bitset) DVD+R DL anyway.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I guess I’ll stay with the +R disks.

The read problems I have been having really seem to be due to the stick-on labels. Case in fact, I take a disk I can’t read, I soak the label with hot water to soften it, I sponge with a towel and - surprise - I can read it without problems while the label is still damp and soft. This is most probably because I remove the warp in the disk caused by the stick-on label. It works every time.

[QUOTE=JGobeil;2512314]Here is the link:
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=29302
The comment is dated 8 april 2009, edited 25 nov. 2009.

If I understand correctly, you are saying that it doesn’t matter if I use +R or -R to backup movies ? As I wrote in the previous post, my burner uses booktype.[/QUOTE] If it does, use it and stick to +.

Sticking to + also has other benefits. + is more error correcting efficient and can also use small table of contents. + is usually cheaper than -.

There’s only one device i know that needs - media and that’s the Nintendo Wii or GameCube.