Which is a better format for dual-layer DVD-R's: Sony or Verbatim?

And is there a better choice than these two brands? I am kind of new at burning DVDs, and want to copy a 3 hour movie for my friend with the best quality possible. Also, is $30.00 for 10 Sony dual layer DVD-R’s a good price or can I get them cheaper online? Thanks alot.

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

I’d probably go with DVD+R DL rather than -R DL (some players like them better, plus you can bitset the +R DL to DVD-ROM if needed).

But back to your question…I’d go for Verbatim (look for Made in Singapore on the packaging). Only time I’d pick Sony ones is if they were cheaper and made in Singapore. :slight_smile:

Hi :slight_smile:
Welcome onboard HV77. :iagree: :clap:
This will probably be one of the few threads where most if not all responses will be in favour of Verbatim DL. :wink:

Why don’t you try some Verbatim D/L :bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile::wink:

Make sure your stand alone DVD player supports -R Dual layer first, then for sure go with the Verbatim they burn excellent.

Ok, good deal. 2 questions though- why is Verbatim cheaper if it is superior quality, and will Verbatim DL’s play on most standalone DVD players? Thanks.

@ HV77 … yep they will play on most standalone players but if i recall you generally need to do something about the layerbreak point which a program like imgburn will do for you.

but me personally why i think verbatim’s are cheaper is cause the “name” sony is more known in general. so in other words, sony is jacking up the price of there media cause there name is on it. (me personally i dont really like sony anymore cause of the rootkits on peoples pc’s a while back etc, just a shady/greedy company)

p.s. this is what i was talking about… http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=1777 … looks like it’s only if your creating a .iso file on your pc for a dvd video disc on dl media)