Which IDE DVD Burner for Quality Verbatim DL DVD Rom book type burning

Hi Guys,

Currently I have NEC 3550a but it looks like it is dying on me.

I need some good DVD Burner with book type selection mostly for burning Verbatins DVD+R DL in DVD Rom mode.

I read that a lot of people suggest Pioneer 115D - will it be good for my purpose - will it be best?

Or maybe should I go with nec 7xxx series? or something completely different.

My priority is quality of burning and readability by other drives in my case Benq ;). Noise / Riping / Speeds does not matter at all.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to CDF :slight_smile:

Where are you located? I’d recommend either the Pioneer 115D or an Optiarc 72xxA drive - as you suggested :wink:

Thanks for quick answer :).

I am writing from Ireland and I can get here both Pioneer 115D and Nec 72xx.

I know that there is no problem with getting Moded FW for NECs but how about Pioneer? Or maybe it’s default is good enough?

So Ultimately which of those 2 you would personally choose? and if you got 5 minutes why>?

Edit:

BTW I bearly used my NEC (maybe 300DVD s on his account) and I have it for as long as they r produced (it is from one of first batches on market).

But recently I started to burn DVD DL and from 10 - 2 last (from bottom of cake) had errors like this:

ImgBurn

I/O Error!

Device: [1:0:0] MAD DOG MD-16XDVD9A2 3.F3 (K:) (ATA)

ScsiStatus: 0x02
Interpretation: Check Condition

CDB: 2A 00 00 1B 88 C0 00 00 20 00
Interpretation: Write (10) - Sectors: 1804480 - 1804511

Sense Area: 70 00 03 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 0C 00 00 00 00 00
Interpretation: Write Error

I found topic with exactly same erros on exacly same model of NEC and guy had thise errors for weeks - no solution - he bought new DVD Burner.

So probably it is cheaper for me to buy new one then loos another X Verbatims - or maybe anybody has some creative ideas about what to do?

The proble is I am soon going to my home country and I would buy another 30 Verbatims DL and new Burner or just 30 Verbatims and test old good NEC.

Ireland, excellent :D…and yep, you can mod 115D firmware with MediaCodeSpeedEdit (sticky thread at the top of each burner forum). :slight_smile:

I personally find the stock firmware for the 115D is good enough though. :wink:

You got that error with Verbies? Ouch.

As for which one to pick. They’re both excellent drives, so I’d pick whichever’s cheapest!