Which IDE connection?

vbimport

if i have 3 IDE drives [3 cd writers] in my pc, in addidtion to my IDE hard drive, does it matter which connection they go to? Do all the connections suppot DMA [i need dma enable for 2 or the 3 writers].
Also, when i buy a retail CD writer [LTR-40125s], will it come with any necessary cables, or will i not need any, or do i ned to buy some.

all can be dma if the drive support it.

better get round ide cables if it gets crowdy.

Retail versions of a drive will/should also include all the necessary cables. But sometimes you’ll get a cable that can only attack one drive to an IDE connection. I have three writers myself in my system and still using flatcables. I’m thinking of changing this to round cables if I can find some. My setup:

-IDE1 master: hard disk
-IDE1 slave: Mitsumi CR-480ATE
-IDE2 master: TEAC CD-W540E
-IDE2 slave: Waitec MEGALUS

Every device DMA enabled.

Originally posted by G@M3FR3@K
But sometimes you’ll get a cable that can only attack one drive to an IDE connection.

I hate it when my writers attack :slight_smile:

attack of the killer drives…i know tomatoes do atatck

Woo, attacking flat-cables! How discusting! :smiley:

Originally posted by Airhead
Woo, attacking flat-cables! How discusting! :smiley:

Is it true that UDMA 100 cables attack 3 times faster than the standard ones ? :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Some people :rolleyes: :smiley:

I meant to say ATTACH

Happy now? :wink:

i liked attacking better :slight_smile: ( i will stop now :slight_smile: :slight_smile: )

Thank you :wink:

wot a load of bull on my thread…but anyone , whats the difference btween a roun or flat cable.

look at there names…

the round ones are round…lol

the round ones take less space in your computer…you wll get better are flow from your fans. so evrything will be cooled better.

it is also easier to reach your drives with roundcables…they do not need that much space

OkI just saw this thread. Attack the ide. Sounds like a virus movie or something. Gamefreak you know will are just messing with you. Nothing personal.

It seems that the round ide cables do something significant for airflow and I just found that out recently. One of the boxes I have only had one side panel on and the whole case got warm with it being on, and I tried the round ones, it still gets warm but not as bad as was.

cloakdoa

I tried the round ones, it still gets warm but not as bad as was.

that is because

Oh my, is that cd on fire?? I smell some hot plastics…

Originally posted by shuebhussain
whats the difference btween a roun or flat cable.
Orginally, the rounded cables were flat ribbon cables, carefully separated so that they could be bundled (rounded) more easily. and covered with heat shrink type plastic sheath. Rounded ATA66+ cables now have to be specially constructed…

…the ATA4 standard introduced a CRC check for data transfer as speed increased from 16 to 33 MB/s. The ATA66 ‘standard’ (part of ATA4) lowered the voltage, necessitating some shielding using 40 additional wires, often referred to as conductors, to prevent crosstalk (noise). These 40 pin/80 conductor cables are essential for ATA66+ (blue, grey & black connectors). The master must be on the end. ATA4 also introduced the overlapping and command queuing protocol allowing UDMA devices of different speeds to be cabled together without any degredation of performance - just don’t mix PIO & UDMA!

…if the ATA66+ cable wires are simply split and mashed together then you lose the shielding which is essential for data integrity because the CRC check just can’t cope without it. Avoid cheap ‘ATA100’ rounded cables. The right ones, not longer than 75cm, in Oz cost somewhere between $USD12-15. They look neater in a busy case and there are some cool colors.

…don’t try to make them yourself for the reasons I have explained.