Which IDE Burner?

vbimport

I ordered the Sony Optiarc 7240 from Newegg last week and finally got around to installing it today. The problem is that my desktop PC has IDE cables and the 7240 is SATA. So I now need to return the 7240 to Newegg (and pay a $3.30 restocking fee, plus return postage) and select a new IDE-compatible burner.

I have looked at Newegg’s page for IDE burners but don’t know which one to get. Any recommendations?

Avoid 22x Samsung. The LiteOn should be the most fun drive of em all.

[QUOTE=kg_evilboy;2520086]The LiteOn should be the most fun drive of em all.[/QUOTE]

There are 4 LiteOn burners on that Newegg page (also, what do you mean by “fun” - ?):

iHAP222-06 with LightScribe (don’t need) - $25.99 + $1.99 S&H

iHAP322-98 - $27.99 + $7.56 S&H

iHAP422-98 with LightScribe (don’t need) - $28.99 = $2.99 S&H

iHAP122-04 - $23.99 + $3.99 S&H

Any opinions on the Pioneer DVR-118LBK - $24.99 + $2.99 S&H?

If you don’t need LightScribe, don’t get it. Firmware updates tend to be faster for non-lightscribe equivalents anyway. I’d go with either the 122 or 322 as far as current drives go.

If there’s any way you can get your hands on a Pioneer DVR-111D, 112D, 115D, 116D, or 117D - or an Optiarc AD-7200A - then go for it. They’re discontinued but were highly praised at CD Freaks. The Pioneer DVR-118L you linked to is a Mediatek chipset drive - quality is not as good as the earlier, NEC chipset Pioneer drives.

Wow, those older Pioneer models are going for $150-250 on Google Shopping. Think I’ll pass for budgetary reasons (I’m just an occasional burner). I did find a Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7200A at Amazon for $39.99. Is that model really hugely better than the LiteOns?

That’s too much for a 7200A. Get either the LiteOn iHAP322-98 or iHAP422-98, they have newer chipsets than the iHAP122-04 and iHAP222-06. NE usually runs free shipping promo from time-to-time if you can wait that long. Lastly, I’d keep the 7240S in case you ever go SATA, not worth returning it, PLUS you’ll likely pay for shipping back.

[QUOTE=KTL;2520199]Lastly, I’d keep the 7240S in case you ever go SATA, not worth returning it, PLUS you’ll likely pay for shipping back.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking about keeping the 7240 anyway and save $$ on return postage plus the $3.30 restocking fee. What is the advantage of SATA over IDE? Are there adapter plugs that I can use with my IDE setup? Thanks.

You could pick up a PCI sata card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=sata+cards&x=0&y=0

SATA will have better throughput over IDE and “less” cable mess. All of the 24x burners have been SATA so far, none has appeared in IDE form. Do NOT use any SATA-IDE adapter for optical drives because it will usually cause some compatibility issues. Besides, you’re limiting the SATA drive to IDE standards, which isn’t always the best scenario.

A local store has this PCI SATA card for $29 - SY-SA3512-2R but they’re not sure if it supports optical drives. Any ideas? I’m sure that my 9-year old MSI DVD-ROM drive is IDE as well so will this PCI SATA card work with it or do I need to buy a new SATA DVD-ROM drive as well?

[QUOTE=bean55;2520256]You could pick up a PCI sata card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=sata+cards&x=0&y=0[/QUOTE]

I was looking at some of the cards from this Newegg link - do I need to worry about getting a SATA II card or will a “regular” SATA card work fine? I think that I will need 2 internal ports as I will probably swap out my IDE DVD-ROM drive soon.

This Masscool XWT-PCIE11 PCI Express to SATA / IDE Card with 2 x SATA II internal ports and 1 x PATA internal port might do the trick - ? I don’t know - I’m asking. The price is right: $16.99 + $2.99 S&H. Is Masscool a good brand or are there better models?

This particular model is from SYba with the Silicon Image 3512 chipset. It has 2 ports that can be used as RAID. But this controller will need to have the BASE BIOS from Silicon Image website flashed in order for the SATA optical drive(s) to work properly. However, you should check with your local store to make sure it’s returnable if the Flash chip cannot be flashed.

Your current IDE drive(s) will work irregardless of the controller card, so no need to get a SATA -ROM drive.

SATA “I” should work fine, but having SATA “II” doesn’t hurt. Can’t tell what chipset the Masscool card has, but anything with VIA doesn’t work well with SATA optical drives. Best bet is to use Silicon Image-based chipsets. Check my signature for a list of some compatible cards (old and new).

Thank you, KTL, for that detailed explanation. So, generally speaking, Syba (homepage link) makes a good quality product?

I was reading some of your posts in the Silicon Image based Sata/IDE controllers that are flashable or not thread. When I take my machine to the shop tomorrow I will have them try to find the best “fit” for my needs. I couldn’t find the SY-PEX40028 Low Profile (Newegg link) PCI Express card at Syba.com. I’m guessing that I will need 2 internal SATA ports at a minimum. Any ideas as to where Syba.com has listed the SY-PEX40028 on their site?

[QUOTE=borat007;2520361]Thank you, KTL, for that detailed explanation. So, generally speaking, Syba (homepage link) makes a good quality product?[/quote]Generally, yes. If the Rosewill version is cheaper on one day, though, it’s probably the same card, from the same place.

I was reading some of your posts in the Silicon Image based Sata/IDE controllers that are flashable or not thread. When I take my machine to the shop tomorrow I will have them try to find the best “fit” for my needs. I couldn’t find the SY-PEX40028 Low Profile (Newegg link) PCI Express card at Syba.com. I’m guessing that I will need 2 internal SATA ports at a minimum. Any ideas as to where Syba.com has listed the SY-PEX40028 on their site?
If you don’t have SATA ports, chances are you also don’t have PCI-e slots.

From what I can tell, model numbers on store websites do not match up perfectly. Probably has to do with the same card in different configurations sharing the same Syba description and downloads.

I think this is the place to get the firmwares for the 2-port 3512 card(s): http://www.siliconimage.com/support/searchresults.aspx?pid=29&cat=15&ctid=2&

I got lucky - my Asus P5E-VM HDMI mobo had 5 available SATA jacks so I just needed to buy a serial power SATA/Molex adapter and jumper for $5.99 from Hard Drives Northwest (in Bellevue, WA - 43 miles from my house ONE WAY!) and my new Sony 7240 is now good to go.:bigsmile:

Sounds good borat007

I guess we should have asked what mobo you had and we could have told you that you had them already.

[QUOTE=bean55;2520624]

I guess we should have asked what mobo you had and we could have told you that you had them already.[/QUOTE]

Well, that plus I need to get inside of my box more often (I’ve always been a bit tech-shy:o ).

[QUOTE=borat007;2520683]Well, that plus I need to get inside of my box more often (I’ve always been a bit tech-shy:o ).[/QUOTE]

The one thing that helped me understand computers more than anything was - one day I noticed the inside had accumulated a lot of dust. I also didn’t plan on keeping the computer much longer, so what did I do?

I took it apart, cleaned everything, and put it back together. That helped me understand computers TREMENDOUSLY. If you ever do this, try not to have a few screws leftover and not be able to remember where they go, like I did. :stuck_out_tongue:

Mine was surprisingly dust-free. Guess I’m lucky (plus I have lots of vent fans). What makes me the most nervous is taking something apart and forgetting how it goes back together (esp. when upgrading). I appreciate your point, though!:clap:

The way all the newer computers and mother boards work is almost if it fits the spot your trying to plug it into your golden. Used to be you had to remember what color wires were supposed to go together, what plugs actually were for whatever you were trying to hook up and which way they were supposed to go, set ALL the various jumpers to make a CPU or memory module work, or maybe it wouldn’t or you blew it up etc.
Now it’s mostly plug and play so life’s a lot easier. When the very first auto setup boards came out in the 486 days they were much desired and soon every maker had versions and now it’s the norm. So as long as you double check a few things all you have to do is make sure it fits the slot and off you go these days so don’t be scared of minor upgrades. If your not sure ask here or google is your friend, and having the manual is helpful too though most can be downloaded if you don’t have it. :bigsmile: