Which Firmware?

vbimport

Ive got a old dvdrom, 166S. I go and download the unofficial firmware from the site that everyones recommending.

Anyway now on my desktop i dont know what to do. My old liteon dvd rom, currently writes max at 4x and reads max at 12x. In the firmware folder i have more folders called “12x, 14x and 16x” and inside them are more exe flash files.

I dont get the bit where u flash ur drive with 16x…i mean if my drive was made to be 4x write max and 12x read max, if i flash it to 16x wouldnt that be like overlocking it? and not be safe as in stable?

Which speed do i choose and which .exe file do i choose in the speed folder??

your 166s can write dvds?

OOPS! I got confused with my Pioneer A06…ok, my Lite On 166S is dvd rom…

I dont get the bit where u flash ur drive with 16x…i mean if my drive was made to be 12x read max, if i flash it to 16x wouldnt that be like overlocking it? and not be safe as in stable?

Which speed do i choose and which .exe file do i choose in the speed folder??

it’s safe to overclock the readspeeds. otherwise the patched firmwares wouldn’t be there :wink:
flash the .exe with the highest speeds. if it causes problems, reflash with a lowerspeed version of the specific disctype.

ok and can i leave my pionner dvdrw on the same IDE cable?

yes

my 166S cannot handle more then 9X with DVDROM DL .
The best setting is 16X DVDrom, 12X DVD +/-R, 12X DVDRW, 8X DVD DL (Rom or +/-R).