Which Firmware ver of Herries for G04?

Hello,

Can you advise from your experiences which the the better FW for me to be using to burn Datasafe Ritek g04’s.
I have done some burns already with Herries FW version 1.05 & 1.06. I have no way of analysing the results as i dont have a LiteON DVDWRiter (have 165H DVDROM for reads/rips. DVD scans with Nero Tools & DVDinfo show no errors but i know thats no 100% indication of quality.

Wesociety is doing some testing at the moment which may help Herrie implement the best G04 Write strategy in the future.

But what should i use until than ???

Herries 1.05 ?

Herries 1.06 ?

Stock FW ?

Other ?

Please advise

There are various RITEKG04’s (e.g. various mediacodes). It could be that one is being burned with one version and another one with another version again.

Unfortunately I don’t have RITEK G04’s anymore myself, so I can’t test :frowning:

Originally posted by Herrie
[B]There are various RITEKG04’s (e.g. various mediacodes). It could be that one is being burned with one version and another one with another version again.

Unfortunately I don’t have RITEK G04’s anymore myself, so I can’t test :frowning: [/B]

In UK RITEK G04s are the most commeon quality media (supposedly) and i have gone and bought a load of them with the NEC2500. Hoping someone has done DATASAFE burns and is able to comment.

Keep up the good work Herrie.

TOP BLOKE ! !

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ArchV
In UK RITEK G04s are the most commeon quality media (supposedly) and i have gone and bought a load of them with the NEC2500. Hoping someone has done DATASAFE burns and is able to comment.

I bought some from www.svp.co.uk (blankdiskshop.co.uk). DataSafe DVD-R x4 Ritek G04. I’ve got some coasters with v1.06 firmware and now ive got b5. i got one coaster with that out of about 5 burns. They read fine, i did a nero speed test the curve was really nice. havnt got a liteon drive for krpobe…

I have some DataWrite DVD+R they work really well, no coasters from about 15 burns with v1.06 firmware., got them from computer fair.

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:CMC MAG-R01-000]

Disc Type : [DVD+R]
Manufacturer ID : [CMC MAG]
Media Type ID : [R01]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Disc Application Code : [General Purpose]
Recording Speeds : [2.4x]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4,482.6 MB = 4.38 GB]

0000 : a1 0f 02 00 00 03 00 00 00 26 05 3f 00 00 00 00 …&.?..
0010 : 00 00 00 43 4d 43 20 4d 41 47 00 52 30 31 00 38 …CMC MAG.R01.8
0020 : 23 54 37 0a 02 78 6e 02 c8 63 16 16 0b 0b 0a 0a #T7…xn…c…

Here in the states it all ricoh media…never saw a ritek g04…yet…what do they sell them as?, TDK,Memorex,Fuji,Arita,Imation’s all Ricoh’s r01’s

Anyone else got feeback on Datasafe g04’s ?

I am using 107 beta 6 of Herrie’s firmware

I have tried some Datasafe G04’s, they seem better with the NEC 2500.
I used Record now max 4.5 to burn and verify the disc and it went ok.

When doing a speed test from the NEC it failed at the end.
Doing the same test with my Lite on reader went through perfect.

Still going to hold off using G04’s until thier is some improvement.

Originally posted by didds

When doing a speed test from the NEC it failed at the end.
Doing the same test with my Lite on reader went through perfect.

yeh same thing happens to me, with a RITEK 04 but it works fine though. I burnt all of mine with nero.

I will let you if this helps to improve burn results

“Here in the states it all ricoh media…never saw a ritek g04…”

Not in my experience. I buy from
http://www.meritline.com/

You can find ritek g04 there

HTH

–G

Did burn with RecordNow - not much difference…
Lets hope Herries Beta 7 will help out…

archV, is yours an intel based system? could u put up your computer specs please.

a few weeks ago, i couldnt burn a reliable Ritek G04 dvd. now i can do so perfectly. i made the following changes:

reinstalled win2000
flashed from ec2500 v1.06 firmware to herrie’s v1.07beta6
did not install intel app accelerator.

now i burn G04 disks fantastic.

I had this problem before when I had a Pioneer 105 with the Intel accelerator installed. The disc’s started to fail. Then uninstalled it and things started to work. Why did I not think of this before.

Thanks sunama

As a general rule, if you’re having problems with any kind of optical writer, then, if possible, try switching to using the Microsoft IDE drivers.

It doesn’t always work out, and sometimes it’s not possible - but it’s worth trying. Intel Application Accelerator, nForce IDE drivers and the like have been found by numerous forum members to be responsible for their problems.

David

Hi,

Thanks all for trying to help out…
My system specs are as follows…

W2Ksp4
Abit BE7 Intel chipset i845
Highpoint striped raid across 4 x 80G ide 7200 rpm hd
512MB (2700)
NEC2500a (Pri Master)
Liteon 4025s (Sec Master)
Liteon 165h (Sec Slave)

s/w
CloneCD2
Anydvd
Recordmax46
Nero 6316
ReCode 2

The Abit motherboard came with the Intel Accel. software but i dont think i installed it- cant recall. Anyhow I looked under \program files\Intel and also under Add/Remove programs. No INTEL Accelerator mentioned.
Do i need to check anywhere else to ensure it is not installed ? (c:\winnt ??)

from what u say, i dont think u have it installed. but i have another check for u to make:
goto your device manager,
goto ide/atapi controllers (double click)
(double click) primary/secondary ide channel (depending on which channel your nec is on).
select the “advanced settings” tab
then make sure that that channel is set so transfer mode = “DMA if available”

now what i found is that when i have intel app acc installed, the above setting is unavailable to me. but when i uninstall it, it becomes available again and allows me to change the settings of the transfer mode.

I bought myself some Zero Defex media. Ritek G04 that is…
This is from cd-rmedia.co.uk 's homepage:

Zero Defex Xtreme Purple DVD-R 4.7GB - 4x Speed - Generation 4 - Spindle Tub

Zero Defex DVD-R’s definitely live up to their name. These disc’c are manufactured by Ritek and are 4x speed rated, for use in recorders that use the General Purpose type of blank disc, and can write at 4x Speed.

According to DVD Identifier there is no media code on the discs.
Did I get screwed? The dvd-speed graph looks just like a g04 graph that I have seen others post.

if the dvd-speed graph looks good, then be happy. before i made some changes i was burning to datawrite redtop v2 disks, much better than any G04 disk. so at that time, i wouldve been a lot more happier with non ritek disks than riteks.

when buying ritek though, i think u should stick to datasafe or Ritek branded media. if u went the best quality (in the uk) then get the verbatim 4x or 8x dvd+/-r disks (the plextor (taiyo yuden) disks are the best, however, they cost a bomb in the UK - imo not worth it)).

Originally posted by Budman62
Here in the states it all ricoh media…never saw a ritek g04…yet…what do they sell them as?, TDK,Memorex,Fuji,Arita,Imation’s all Ricoh’s r01’s

RICOHJPNR01 are DVD+R media.

Ritek G04 are DVD-R media.

Ritek G04 media has been sold in the states under the Arita, PrimeDisc, RiData, and TDK names.

Interestingly, TDK advertised their spindles of DVD-R media at 2x, though they had Ritek G04 media in there. I guess since they probably used different brands of media there like they did with their +R spindles.

I am taking it all back, from my previous post. All my problems with the Zero Defex discs disappeared. I had connected my 2500a to a Promise TX2 controller… Sorry for the confusion.