Which file Format

vbimport

Which file format would you recommend for a portable HDD? The drive is a 500GB and would be used by several computers not on the same network. I would normally use NTFS but I think it is FAT32. :confused:

[QUOTE=Pernundel;1997542]Which file format would you recommend for a portable HDD? The drive is a 500GB and would be used by several computers not on the same network. I would normally use NTFS but I think it is FAT32. :confused:[/QUOTE]

What kinda computer are you attaching it to?? Also before you do that make sure they are virus or malware free otherwise you be bring them back home to your computer… But you should find out if it NTFS or Fat32…I think NTFS will read Fat32 but Fat32 will not read NTFS formated drives…but NTFS is better a allocating the HDD size then Fat32…

FAT32 will work with most OS’s including Linux and Mac. The downside is the 4GB file size limit. If all the machines that will ever use it are Windows 2000 or higher NTFS is better.

The HDD would be used only on computers that I built for family members. All are running legitimate XP SP2 OS’s. I guess I will format it to NTFS when it gets here tomorrow. I will mainly use this drive to back up their data (taxes, program keys, genealogy, etc.)

Then use NTFS.

A lot of files can not be read between FAT 32 and NTFS without a special program. So it is best if everyone has the same file system. If only using it as a back up and not having an OS on it, it would not matter.

NTFS2DOS is free and overcomes that.
Also Linux is able to use NTFS.

FAT32, because by using FAT32 you won’t get annoyed with NTFS permission rights set by various admins. FAT32 works excellent.

NTFS! Because it’s more stable FS than FAT32!