Which external burner is a true bang for bucks?

Hi all,

I’m new on this forum, but I have been checking it out a bit for some time.
My situation is this:
My laptop dvd-writer is failing too many times now. Which by the way is pretty odd since it had only been used for 2 years or so, and only to back up my Wii-games. Anyhooo…
I decided I should buy an external dvd-writer as a replacement.
Now I don’t burn anything that often, thanks to hard disk mediaplayers and such, so I’m not to keen on spending a lot of money on something that I wont be using that much.
That being said, when I do use the writer I (naturally) want it to work. Sure, there are no guarantees that everything will go perfectly, but there must be some standards to maintain.
I read the (old) topic on Top 10 Writers, but those seem to be all internal drives. And since my budget is limited, buying an external casing AND an internal drive is not an option, really.
After searching for external drives in store at local retail stores, these are the drives that survived the budget filter:
Lite-On eSAU108
Lite-On eZAU120
Lite-On eZAU220
Lite-On DX-20A4PU
LG GE20NU10
LG GE20LU10
Samsung SE-S084B
Samsung SE-S224Q
Samsung SE-S204N
Also there’s a unfamiliar slimline writer : DM701 Slimline DVD Writer, which pretty much has basic stats (as it seems) for slimilne external writers, but because of the unknown factor it’s doubtable anybody knows the quality and results with that one.

Since the writers are slimlines as well as normal sized ones, I’ll elaborate some more on the criteria (next to the main one: budget <=€55 )

• Media compatibility:
    I use(d) mediocre quality DVD’s (Arita), which work most of the time on the Wii. Yet by the sound of it, I don’t think it always likes them.
    So it must be a versatile writer with pretty good overall results.

• Speed;
    Of course I’d love the writer to be really fast, but as I said earlier: I don’t burn that often, and when I do I’m rarely in a hurry so speed isn’t that much of a factor. Add to that, that Wii-backups shouldn’t be burned at a high speed at all, you can understand why it’s no main criteria.

• Slimline
    I like the fact that slimline writers are able to use a usb-port for power, unfotunately slimlines do tend to be slower (a lot in comparison), besides that I’m not planning to take my writer along anywhere, but If I did I could just as well put it in a bag, not necessarily in my pocket.

So, to end this long story, for the ones that didn’t get lost along the way :wink:
Which external writer would you recommend for me?
Thanks in advance!

@ Cherek,

Suggest avoiding a SlimeLine External Optical Dive. Compared to a Half Height Optical Drive SlimeLine Optical Drive are poor performers. You already have personnel evidence that a SlimeLine Optical Dive are poor performers with the failure of your internal LapTop SlimeLine Optical Drive.

Suggest obtaining a quality Half Height Optical Drive and installing it in a quality External Enclosure. This is not a difficult task to perform. Suggest visiting the CDFreaks External Enclosure Forum (http://club.cdfreaks.com/f143) for detailed information.

Regards,
bjkg

I´d suggest taking one of the Samsungs in an external case.

and

Don´t buy crap media.

and

Speed is not essential…it will only make a difference of seconds

Hi,[QUOTE=Cherek;2286282]

• Slimline
    I like the fact that slimline writers are able to use a usb-port for power, [/quote]This is what I don’t like at all. External slim drives draw more power from the USB than specified. USB specs are 500 mA for power, these drives need up to 1500 mA (depending on model).
    Might work, might work with trouble or - worst case - kills USB port.

Get a half height external drive.

Michael

Thanks for the replies so far.
Based on your comments I decided the slimlines were not the thing for me then. That leaves the following half -height external burners

Lite-On eZAU120
Lite-On eZAU220
Lite-On DX-20A4PU

LG GE20NU10
LG GE20LU10

Samsung SE-S224Q
Samsung SE-S204N

@bjkg;
I don’t doubt creating an external burner (external enclosure + internal burner) isn’t that hard. The thing is, that that would exceed my budget that I created for this purchase. It would result in something like €70.
So I really need advice on these out of the box solutions. But thanks for the suggestion and link.

@deanimator;
As said above I can only look at out of the box solutions, I understand they may not be the best. But I’m looking for the best of this rest, so to speak :slight_smile:
About the Media, in the future I’m planning on buying Verbatim for my more important file storage (Game backups mostly)

@mciahel;
Wow, I didn’t know that! I just thought it handy when i didn’t have a socket in the vicinity, but that’s not worth the wreckage of my laptop.

So, any suggestions / advice on the above listed dvd-writers that made the final cut?

[QUOTE=Cherek;2286425]Thanks for the replies so far.
Based on your comments I decided the slimlines were not the thing for me then. That leaves the following half -height external burners

Lite-On eZAU120
Lite-On eZAU220
Lite-On DX-20A4PU

LG GE20NU10
LG GE20LU10

Samsung SE-S224Q
Samsung SE-S204N

(…)
So, any suggestions / advice on the above listed dvd-writers that made the final cut?[/QUOTE]I’d go for the TSST SH-S204N (if you can get one) or one of the LG drives.

If CD-R application does not matter, the Lite-On DX-20A4PU is another candidate.

Michael

@ Cherek,

Unaware of how you are figuring that a “Factory Made” External DVD Burner is cheaper than installing a Half Height DVD Burner in an External Enclosure. In my personal experience I have just the opposite experience. I have assembled numerous Half Height DVD Burners in External Enclosures and have found this cheaper than purchasing a “Factory Made” External DVD Burner.

Regards,
bjkg

@mciahel;
Thanks for further shortening the list. CD-R isn’t a real factor, but when there’s no price difference I will weigh it in.

@bjkg;
I must say I probably haven’t seen everything available.
But what I have seen (brands as Mapower and Macpower) had cases for €30 or more (with power supply) and I could only find them on Ebay. And given that a good internal writer is about €30 or more, I came to that conclusion that it wouldn’t be worth the trouble.
But I admit I should surely must have missed enough.
But bear in mind: I live in Holland so if I need to order anything online I have to be able to get it delivered. And there will be shipping cost pressing the budget.
But I’m all ears if you have better suggestions.

[QUOTE=Cherek;2286565]@mciahel;
Thanks for further shortening the list. CD-R isn’t a real factor, but when there’s no price difference I will weigh it in.

@bjkg;
I must say I probably haven’t seen everything available.
But what I have seen (brands as Mapower and Macpower) had cases for €30 or more (with power supply) and I could only find them on Ebay. And given that a good internal writer is about €30 or more, I came to that conclusion that it wouldn’t be worth the trouble.
But I admit I should surely must have missed enough.
But bear in mind: I live in Holland so if I need to order anything online I have to be able to get it delivered. And there will be shipping cost pressing the budget.
But I’m all ears if you have better suggestions.[/QUOTE]

You may want to check out the HP DVD1170e. This is an out of the box burner w/case & LightScribe, AC Adaptor, USB Cable and Nero 8 Essentials software. Cost about $75 @ Wal-Mart. I’ve owned mine for over a month and it’s been a good performer. I really don’t know how HP’s rank around here and basically bought this Burner on the spur of the moment when looking around in the store. Seems to have everything I needed except BluRay, and the price was right.

@ cajieboy,

Welcome to the Forum

Perchance did you happen to note in Forum Members Cherek #8 posting that you quoted that Forum Members Cherek states that he lives in Holland and also states that shipping cost are problematic.

Also are you aware that NewEgg (http://www.newegg.com) has the HP DVD1170e External Optical Drive for 55 Bucks which includes shipping?

Regards,
bjkg

My 2 pennies’ worth: I’d go for an LG external - I’ve had my own external LG (a GSA-E10N) for just over three years, it’s had some heavy use, as I use it more than my internally-fitted drives, and it’s still going strong. :slight_smile:

BTW, welcome to the forum!

Thanks all for your input. I appreciated it a lot.
Unfortunately I couldn’t get the Samsung 204n (because the links of the store price comparison site I used, were obsolete. In the end they all linked to 224Q.

I also had to buy a new portable hard drive, and in the same store they had a Lite-On eZAU120 for just 30 euro’s. So I got that one, I hope it isn’t to bad, since nobody really recommended it :slight_smile:

I can vouch for the LG’s BTW, I bought one for my mom (also E10N) about three years ago, and it still works like a charm.

Now I’ll have to find out if the firmware can( / needs to) be changed. But this community / forum is bound to give me enough info, as I’ve found out and read thus far.
Thanks again!