Which DVD±R/RW will you pick for...?

Greetings:

I’ve read some postings / reviews in cdrinfo and DVDRHELP and finally make my choice over these burners:

NEC ND-2500A , BENQ800A / BenQ DW822A, PIONEER DVR-107D. The BENQ800A & DVR-107D is based solely on reading the conclusion. I am not a computer geek so all the test detail and technic are all greek to me. If it were you which one will you pick for the following tasks & softwares:

1- Making / Burning ISO, BIN CD-R format using WinIso and CDRWIN from Golden Hawk Technology. It would be great if the recording time can match my current Sony CRX215A1 (48X 24X 48X) i.e burn a full 700MB in approx 4 minutes. I’ve been pointed out that CDRWIN is a malicious application. If anyone share the same point of view an insight thought would be appreciated.

2- Burning data using Nero Buning Rom

3- Intend to make backup of my valuable Kung Fu’s movies collection using DVDXCOPY or any other alternative application that would let me chose what I want to include (Subtitle menu, Setup menu for soundtrack DTS and AC-3)) or left out (commentary, trailer, movies preview etc) when bakcup. For unknown reason some of my 3, 4 years old DVD suddenly refuse to play. The backup must able to be played on most major DVD player or at least on these Pionner DVD-V630, SONY DVP-NC665P, SONY SLV-D300P and Dell Inspiron 8000.

4- Optionally, make some Tai-Chi video using MiniDV, Di8 and Ulead Video Studio 6.5 (preferable), 7.0 or later if needs be.

Personnally I prefer BENQ DW822A due to its upgradeable firmware to become a Dual layer in the future. However, beside it weakness for the CD-R speed, it will be also no use if it can’t perform the above task. Therefore any recommendation (under $150) would be welcomed and appreciated.

My current IDE DVD-ROM is LiteON XJ-HD166S

Any insight thoughts or additional recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

Hi. I’ve never really used CDRWIN, so it’s beyond me, however I see that you are intending on making backups. If so, the burn quality counts the most. And your budget is about 150 dollars. Then probably the NEC 2500A is your choice. #3 is primarily a software issue, so the burner should not matter. Also if you have multiple stand alone DVD players, the only way to see what plays on them is to actually burn on different medias and test each out.

I own a Pioneer 107D and it is an excellent drive, however your budget may not allow it. :frowning:

As for dual layer burning, medias are not goin to be cheap when they do come out. Therefore I would not recommend the BenQ just for its capability of being able to upgrade to dual layer format burning.

Ryobou

Ryobou: thanks for your recommendation.

There is really no reason (that I can think of) to continue using CDRWin anymore, because Nero burns .bin and .cue files just as well, along with everything else.

G Wiz:

Mine (Nero v5.5) can’t burn bin yet. I like CDRWin because it is lightning fast (650MB in less than 4Min) at burning CD-R media. I don’t think Nero can burn that fast though.