Which DVD writer?

I’m sure this question comes up a lot but I’ve read all the pro’s and cons of the various drives and I’,m still undecided.

My basic ‘must-haves’ are at least 4X and -R and +R, decent CD-R speed i.e at least 24x which rules out the Pioneer A06.

The Lite-On 8x sounds good but there’s the issue with restricted media support and now this new thing about bitsetting. I can’t find out which other drives support this feature.

Then there is the LG 4040. DVD-RAM would be nice but I’ve read some negative reports about build quality and read-speed.

My ideal would be the Plextor, except for the price!

Any further pointers or factors to consider?

Originally posted by mbriody
[B]I’m sure this question comes up a lot but I’ve read all the pro’s and cons of the various drives and I’,m still undecided.

My basic ‘must-haves’ are at least 4X and -R and +R, decent CD-R speed i.e at least 24x which rules out the Pioneer A06.

The Lite-On 8x sounds good but there’s the issue with restricted media support and now this new thing about bitsetting. I can’t find out which other drives support this feature.

Then there is the LG 4040. DVD-RAM would be nice but I’ve read some negative reports about build quality and read-speed.

My ideal would be the Plextor, except for the price!

Any further pointers or factors to consider? [/B]

Why do you want a DVD- burner? DVD+ means compatibility! :smiley:

But seriously, most DVD players support DVD+R, and I think just about all new players are capable of playing + media. The prices of + media are falling rapidly (and that is for name brand I’m talking about). Why is DVD+ better? Well, this article will tell you why! Soon DVD- will be like Betamax to VHS. Cassette to CD. OBSOLETE!

The LiteOn poll indicates that a lot of DVD players won’t touch +R media.

I’ve got an XBox which I’m having chipped and I believe that -R media works best on it.

Originally posted by wbrooke
[B]Why do you want a DVD- burner? DVD+ means compatibility! :smiley:

But seriously, most DVD players support DVD+R, and I think just about all new players are capable of playing + media. The prices of + media are falling rapidly (and that is for name brand I’m talking about). Why is DVD+ better? Well, this article will tell you why! Soon DVD- will be like Betamax to VHS. Cassette to CD. OBSOLETE! [/B]

Originally posted by mbriody
My basic ‘must-haves’ are at least 4X and -R and +R, decent CD-R speed i.e at least 24x

Just 2 drives that meet your specifications…

LiteOn LDW 411S that has got a very good review at CD Freaks :slight_smile:
http://www.liteonit.com.tw/ODD/english/new_p_e/english--p-drw4440.htm

or maybe one of the BTC DVD writers :confused: Check out the BTC Forum
and http://www.btcusa.com/english/2-2-dvd_rw.htm

Andy :smiley:

From the forums here the LiteOn looks like it has loads of issues/problems and I assume it lacks the bitsetting feature like the 8x drive?

Don’t know much about the BTC so its worth a look.