Which DVD writer plus DVD RW media gives the most reliable burns?

vbimport

I’m about to buy a new PC and I’d like to move to a DVD writer. The main use for the DVD writer will be to back up hard drive data.

In your opinion, which combination of DVD writer and DVD RW media gives the lowest error count and most reliable result?

I did a forum search on CDFreaks for this topic and scanned all the messages going back a month and didn’t find any threads. If this topic has already been discussed, please post a link and accept my apologies.

Here’s a recent thread… just four positions underneath yours at the time of this post. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:
[thread]141994[/thread]

I thought I’d post a few more details about what I’ve already read in the Blank media forum and in the various drive forums.

I’ve seen a few scans of Verbatim 4x +RW media that have very low error rates.

I’ve also seen a few messages that Benq drives are quite good with R media but not as good as other drives with RW media.

Has anyone found that DVD RAM has lower error rates compared to RW media?

Ritek +/w RW media is easily available in the local stores where I live. I know that Ritek R media isn’t well regarded but what about Ritek RW media?

I’ve found with Ricoh X4 DVD+RW media, both from Fuji and Ritek brand that after a few rewrites the error rates (PIF) starts going up excessively on the majority of the discs. I’ve seen this both with a Plextor PX16 and a NEC 3520A drive. I wish someone would test various +RW media and drives with full use and erase cycles at least 5-10 times and compare the PIE/PIF charts. I get good low PIE/PIF with +R media but thats one time use and get low values with +RW the first use too, its the many uses that is the problem.

Someone did: http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=13934

Thanks DrageMester, that was exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Hopefully other users will post their real world experiences with other drive brands as well, like VeryBadBoy.

That review showed quite a lot of variation between the various media brands and the most common locally available brand of RW media, Ritek, did pretty well, although other brands did better.

It would have been interesting if the CdrInfo review had used other popular drives like the NEC, BenQ and LG but what they did produce was extremely useful in any case.

Maybe this can interest you.

Burner: Liteon 811 (HS0R)
Software: Nero 6.3.1.25
Burnspeed possible: 4x
Burnspeed selected: 4x
Brand: Memorex +RW 4x
Booktype: +RW
Mediacode: PHILIPS 041
Burning time: 13:54
Scanned with CD-DVD Speed 4 on liteon 1633S BS0S

This disk was burned for a total of 46 times (until now), and in spite on
so high PIF is perfectly readable.

Thanks. The CDRInfo review included a Philips 041 +RW disk but it was labelled as Waitek.

Here is the url for the Philips 041 test:

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=13934&PageId=15

CDRInfo used Plextools for their error scanning tests, so I don’t know if their results are comparable to the Nero DVD Speed results.

Does anyone know how the the Plextools and Nero DVD Speed test results compare to each other?

Actually, I’d use a DVD-RAM compatible drive (e.g. LG GSA-4163B) and decent DVD-RAM media (e.g. Panasonic or Maxell). Not cheap, but the most reliable for sure.

My discs are branded Memorex

I haven’t plextor drives, but 2 liteon ones and prefer cd-dvd speed to kprobe (it seems to me more user-friendly)

Sorry: :o Really don’t know.

That Memorex +RW disc scan after so many uses looks excellent compared to what I get after a few uses of Ricoh 4x +RW media with my NEC 3520A. I wonder if its the media or the drive that makes the difference there?

That review got the opposite of what I get with the NEC drive and Ricoh 4x DVD+RW media, they claim to get lower error rates after several uses than the first one or two uses! They only tested with a Pioneer DVD+RW drive though - I wonder if Pioneer is much better write quality with +RW media than the drives I have tried (Plextor and NEC).

I’ve read that DVD-RAM is more reliable than DVDRW. One thought was that DVD-RAM was more reliable because of the shell protecting the media.

Do you use DVD-RAM on a regular basis? Has it been completely reliable for you?

Your experience is extremely interesting, given that it was the exact opposite of what that review found.

You have a good point, are Pioneer drives able to write DVD RW disks more reliably over the long term than NEC drives? Or is that just a problem with the Ricoh DVD+RW media and NEC drives?

I had been leaning towards the NEC 3540, but I’m not so sure now. Maybe the LG 4163 or the Pioneer 109 might be better for DVD RW media.

I don’t know if this can improve reliability, but before each RW (both dash and plus) burning I do a FULL erase of disc.

So in my posted scan, of the 46 times the disc was written 23 was effective burnings and 23 was FULL erases.

In my opinion full erasing is necessary to do a sort of “reset” of the disc, and in this way maybe is possible that disc have a longer durability. This, however, is only my opinion. :slight_smile:

Well… the best scans from DVD±RW disc I saw was from the new Verbatim 8x DVD+RW and Verbatim 6x DVD-RW. Actually all new 6x and 8x DVD±RW disc look a lot better than the old 4x ones.

DVD-RAM disc should be much more reliable than both RW formats… actually the DVD-RAM is different from any optical disc we know today and even have some similarities with HDD… like data written in circles not spiral like on a CD and DVD discs. The number of rewrites to DVD-RAM is also about 100 times greater than to a RW… so in theory DVD-RAM should be more reliable to both RW formats.

Sorry if my question is a little dumb, but DVD-RAM become fragged? And can be defragged?

Because it writes and erases files randomly, the files may become fragmented, but defragmentation would take a very long time because access times are very slow compared to HDDs.

But if file writing is random, then also reading of files is slower on RAM media than plus or minus discs?

I haven’t been using DVD-RAM for long - I’m trusting what I read about it online - but I haven’t found DVD+RW to be quite reliable enough for my purposes. It’s hard to find good media.

What I like about -RAM is its ability to avoid use of bad spots on the media. It works a lot like magnetic media does in that regard.

It also looks really cool :slight_smile: but that isn’t an issue. It’s a bonus.

This is true, but you can simply read the disc back, copying it onto a hard drive, and reburn it in its entirety to defragment it. That wouldn’t take that long.