Which DVD recorder/reader should I buy?

vbimport

I want to buy a good DVD recorder/reader that I could use to connect to the TV (so I don’t need to buy a separate DVD player just for the TV). I’ve been researching but since I’m a newbie I don’t understand most of the technical explanations about the drives.
I want to use the drive to record data and videos that would play on most DVD players, and to watch DVDs on the TV with the same quality (or higher) as the “non-PC” DVD players. If the drive had a remote control it would be even better hehehe
So, which DVD recorder/reader drive would you recommend?

Thank you very much!

you can’t hook up a pc drive directly to you tv. you can however hook your pc to your tv…but it can get complicated. google and the search function in this forum are going to be your best friend for a while…

My video card has an S-video output. Why can it get complicated?

Thanks, I’ll see what I can find with the search engine.

even if your vid card has TV-Out, you’ll still need to send the audio through.

I use the speakers which are connected to the PC.

I read the review of LG GSA-4163B drive (http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/172/1) and it seems to be very good. I’m thinking about buying this one. Would you recommend it? Thanks again :slight_smile:

it’s a good drive…

Ok… this has been very helpful, maybe I’ll take a look on some other reviews and I’ll check with you later.

Thanks!

If you don’t mind running rca cables and whatever type of video cable it shouldn’t be too hard to run video and sound to your tv (if your video card is capable). You can get a simple adapter from radio shack or fry’s or wherever to convert the miniplug out from your sound card to stereo rca that will conect to your tv.

Thank you
I’ll probably just connect the video to the TV and use the pc speakers.
After reading several reviews, I couldn’t decide between the LG GSA 4163b and that Philips LightScribe, but then I couldn’t find the philips drive anywhere, and I figured it would be much more expensive then the LG GSA, because of the LightScribe feature. So I’m going for the LG.

Thanks for the help :slight_smile:

Light scribe disks are about 2$ a piece too (as opposed to 30-40 cents or less). Even if they do eventually come down you might not see the really good deals like you do with regular media (thats why I never bough an inkjet photo printer, the printable media was always too expensive).