Which DVD-RAM Drive?

I am completely lost at what to get!

I want to replace my Nec 3520 that I gave away. I thought I’d get the new Nec 4550 since I was pretty happy with the previous, but it seems those aren’t gonna show up in the US this century.
I think I’d like to have a RAM capable drive, not sure I’ll use it, but I like the idea. :stuck_out_tongue: Is there a reason to advise against it? :confused:

So what is a good option?

Uses:

• Back up some data
  • Burn DVDs to be played in a stand alone player. Copies (back-ups) of my DVDs, and things I recorded directly on my PC.

*If it makes any difference, this will go in the USB enclosure that I already had the old drive in (Vantec Nexstar 2)

Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

The best advantage of RAM media is that are more reliable of rewritable RW media (both plus and dash). And with windows xp they don’t require any driver to run; windows will format these discs in FAT32, and you can have a large “floppy” to store data in a reasonably reliable way

That’s what I thought, and hence the reason why I am looking for a DVD-RAM drive. Cheaper than burning a DVD-R just for one viewing on the TV and then tossing it away.

Thanx for confirming my suspicions :stuck_out_tongue:

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

In my previous post I forgot to say that that not all standalones are able to read RAM media.

Oh ya, I know that. But I am also looking for a new DVD player at the moment, and I’ll make sure to get one that supports RAM media.

LG is the only one with extensive experience in building RAM burners.

Keep in mind that RAM writing is SLOW, if that’s not a problem then it’s a good way to move video back and forth. Although RW works fine for that too.

so that would be the LG GSA-4167B?

Any LG. 4166 (lightscribe) or 4167 are the newest models.

Does LG support firmware upgrade over USB? (Drive will be installed in enclosure)

With my old NEC it was no problem to flash a firmware over USB, but the LG instructions (on their site) specifically say that the drive should be hooked on a master IDE for the firmware upgrade to work. Does that mean no external drive support? :confused:

Unfortunately all I have is 2 laptops, so it’s not an option to plug it in a desktop just to get the new firmware on there!

Thanx for all the help so far :slight_smile:

I guess I found the answer to my question and that is a YES. :smiley:

For the record here it is: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=159602&highlight=usb+firmware