Which DVD player

vbimport

I searched the site and could not find a thread that covers DVD players.

I’m looking for a DVD player for my TV. I recently had some really nice backups skip (TYG02, 95% quality). I have determined through some troubleshooting that it is my archaic DVD player.

So, I’m in the market for a cheapish DVD player. That plays DVD-+R’s well.

What works for you?

Thanks, JOe K.

My older Philips player plays almost everything I throw at it. Because of it’s age, it doesn’t support burned DL media though.

Imkidd57 has just done a review on a cheap-ish Philips DVD Recorder which you might like a look at, I plan to get one myself given that my player is so tolerant: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f114/cd-freaks-presents-philips-dvdr3480-review-243486/

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

The Phillips players have the advantage of converting PAL <-> NTSC and being capable of region-freeness. They start around $80 US.

[QUOTE=CDan;2061886]The Phillips players have the advantage of converting PAL <-> NTSC and being capable of region-freeness. They start around $80 US.[/QUOTE]

True, even though it’s 4 years old, my Philips is the same. :slight_smile:

Listen to Arachne. The new Phillips at newegg is only $70.00 free shipping and will now do every format and media and upscale to 1080p. Even has HDMI.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882641222

[QUOTE=slytrans69;2061919]Listen to Arachne. The new Phillips at newegg is only $70.00 free shipping and will now do every format and media and upscale to 1080p. Even has HDMI.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882641222[/QUOTE]

This one looks nice. I’ll pick it up with my next paycheck.

Thanks,
JOe K.

[QUOTE=tjcinnamon;2061930]This one looks nice. I’ll pick it up with my next paycheck.

Thanks,
JOe K.[/QUOTE]

That Philips player is a good choice, IMO. It plays AVI (aka Divx) files and has a USB port to play video files from a hard drive or USB flash drive. I have a Pioneer and RCA DVD players with this capability and it is VERY convenient.

I wouldnt go Philips since they in general doesnt use Mediatek chips which have much better compatibility and picture quality in general. Instead I would go for Pioneer DV-400 which is a better player and uses Mediatek chipset.

//Danne

I have to say that there is little difference between the playback quality of the Pioneer DV-400 and the $50 RCA DRC285 players I have. The Pioneer has much better build quality though. According to Videohelp.com the Philips 5892 player has the MediaTek MT1389SE chipset. The 5980 doesn’t. For the price in the link you gave, the Pioneer is the better deal over the Philips, IMO.

That Phillips player ended up being pretty bad. The remote went out in a few days. I got a replacement in about 10 days, the service was good.

The remote doesn’t work well even in line of sight. It has to be at an angle in order for it to get the signal.

It’s nearly impossible to move chapters in a DVD. I always have to use a fast rewind. I have tried this a few inches away from the unit to eliminate the remote not being in the right position.

The player opens up so slowly. There is about a 15 second delay from when it starts ejecting before it actually ejects. The same goes for powering it on.

The upconvert option was less than impressive as well.

Maybe I got a lemon? I am definitely going to get something else. Are there other recommendations that people have? Money is not really an object (DVD players won’t be over 175, I don’t think, if so, then money is an object)?

Is there a DVD player that can adjust the volume for just to vocals, if they have a multiple vocal tracks (ie, French, Spanish, ect)?

My hearing sucks so it would be nice to have some better volume options. I may try a pioneer. I’m definitely not going to throw out the box again. Perhaps I can sell it on CraigsList for a loss :frowning:

JOe K.

If price isn’t a concern then get something from this manufacturer: http://www.oppodigital.com/

Wow…I recently picked up a Philips DVDR5500 recorder, and it’s a lovely piece of kit (if you can handle the annoying remote buttones)…it’s had a fair amount of use since I got it as well.

Sorry your Philips experience wasn’t good :sad:

Sidenote: the DVDR5500 uses a Mediatek chip :wink:

When I was shopping for the Phillips, Panasonic were recommended to me by a knowledgeable mod here…but then, I was after a recorder, not player.

[QUOTE=UTR;2105402]If price isn’t a concern then get something from this manufacturer: http://www.oppodigital.com/[/QUOTE]

The DV-980H looks nice.

I also was looking at the Pioneer DV400. I’ll check it out in the store before I buy it. Have you heard anything about that model?

I also was considering a Yamaha I have some studio monitors from them and they are immaculate!

What are some good overall brands?

I just bought the DV-980H

You could have bought a Popcorn Hour for the same price… :wink:
//Danne

double post

That is a good player from all aspects. I think it will even read hard drives formatted with NTFS. Good choice, IMO.

I have a DV-400V and am very pleased with it. It has a few quirks but nothing that is too bad. The build quality for it is light years ahead of Philips, RCA, etc.