Which DVD player software to use for Dolby digital support

Hi, I have a sound card with optical digital audio output that goes to my receiver. If I use the software dd player (inter video win DVD 4) that came with it to play DVDs , I can play the DVD back with dolby digital support. I hate this software player. Can windows media player 11 or other free software player suppor dolby digital output? I tried VLC with no luck.
Any suggesions?
Thanks

[QUOTE=andy2005;1952751]Hi, I have a sound card with optical digital audio output that goes to my receiver. If I use the software dd player (inter video win DVD 4) that came with it to play DVDs , I can play the DVD back with dolby digital support. I hate this software player. Can windows media player 11 or other free software player suppor dolby digital output? I tried VLC with no luck.
Any suggesions?
Thanks[/QUOTE]

One thing to notice is your WinDVD is too old they have version 8 out now. Maybe you should update your version should have more audio support. Don’t play DVD on WMP 11 it’s not made for it and not a good player for it. Either go for WinDVD or PowerDVD to play dvd on your computer… VLC won’t play DVD. What exactly are you trying to do with your digital audio out to receiver have to do with playing DVD??? Are you connecting your sound card output to your stereo system?? Also what kinda of sound card you have make a difference in what audio drivers it supports as well…

Hi coolcolors,
I have my PC as a HTPC. So it is hooked up to my lCD TV and mt receiver via optical cable. My receiver can decode the signal fine. VLC plays my DVDs fine (burned to HDD as ISO) but can’t seem to have the correct setting to output DD to the receiver.
Again, I have no problems when using Intervideo windvd but I hate that player and want to find another that supports DD output.

Have you tried powerdvd?

:cool::cool: