Which DVD Labels does everyone use Avery, Memorox, Neato, etc?

Which DVD Labels does everyone use Avery, Memorox, Neato, etc?

I’ve burnt 20 DVD’s from a Bachelor trip and want to use an image as the label on the DVD.

Seen many different reviews but trying to find a product that people like. Does Matte look better than glossy?

Hoping to find something readily available at a local retailer (Office Depot, Staples, etc)

Thanks

WARNING!

Paper labels can screw up a DVD - as they can expand and contract with humidity and heat, this can put a DVD out of alignment and cause reading failures either quickly or over time.

Read here for other experiences. http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/sticky-paper-labels-dvd-r-discs-beware-173236/

I would urge you, under no circumstances whatsoever should you use paper labels, many of the people here who have either used paper labels on DVDs or recieved paper-labelled DVDs have had major problems. The best way to label discs is to use printable discs with a matching disc capable printer, or failing that, Lightscribe drive+discs.

If you absolutely must use applied labels, I would recommend the Memorex DVD labels, these are made of polyester.
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=202191747&listingid=29007196&dcaid=17902

Unfortunately, these can be difficult to find if you are not in the United States.

And if you are an impatient guy, don’t even bother with lightscribe as a disc takes around half an hour to print - that’s 10 hours at least for your 20 discs. Inket printer = 1-3mins.

I second the Memorex polyester labels as recommended by SeanW, but only if there’s no other choice. Readability of these discs may be a concern after a few years though, so beware.

Avoid labels like the plague :frowning:

We don’t use labels. Sorry.

who’s “we” ? I’ve used these labels for a while now with no problems at all.

the polyester labels would be a good choice if you must use labels…

[QUOTE=beachbumm;2212375]who’s “we” ? I’ve used these labels for a while now with no problems at all.

the polyester labels would be a good choice if you must use labels…[/QUOTE]

He must be referring to the “gods” of CDFreaks. :stuck_out_tongue: Wait a few more years (if they even reach that long!) and give me a percentage of those sticky-papered discs that will be completely readable. I’d say it’ll be close to nil. :stuck_out_tongue: The polyester might be better than the paper labels, but still they’re the worst labeling idea if you want your data safe and readable.

I learned this lesson the hard way, so I hope you heed the warnings of the oldies. Uh, I meant, the veterans. :bigsmile: :smiley:

[QUOTE=evo69;2212392]I learned this lesson the hard way, so I hope you heed the warnings of the oldies.[/QUOTE]Me too. I never used paper labels on DVDs, although I bought a stack of paper labels years ago, I saw the above mentioned thread in good time. Now I just use 'em for genral labelling from time to time.

However, one time I bought an unpublished (at that time) and hard to find TV series on DVD. Now, this company had all the best stuff - Pioneer DVD recorders, TYG02 media (Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD-R) BUT they used paper labels with an overdose of adhesive :sad: Some were partially unreadable right out of the box, others became more troublesome over the space of 2 years. By the time I had started scraping the labels off, only about 5 of the 23 were fully readable, and most were permanently damaged, some seriously.

I still have a stack of sticky-paper labels too, and I use them if I want discs that I give out to self-destruct within a year. :stuck_out_tongue: For mine enemies I use a healthy double- to triple-layer application of sticky labels to imbalance their drives after constant use, with the hopes of total drive annihilation. :bigsmile:

But seriously, no, I haven’t tried that yet. I’d love to, but I still don’t hate anyone that much. :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

I know I’m going against what is recommended but does anyone know of retailers in California that carry the Memorex labels? I need these by Friday so I was hoping to find them locally.

You might try Staples.

Never use sticky labels!

staples, office max, best buy…
I too made the mistake of paper labels, what a mistake it was. I use the poly labels for my daughter, she likes them for her movie collection that she plays on her portable player, and wow does she abuse the dvd’s. I have some a year old that have been played mulitple times that still work fine.
It all depends on what YOU want to do, but you did ask for advise and the majority of the “experts” will definately guide you away from labels. If you are looking for longevity of the dvd’s info, i would recommend good media and using a sharpie as your best bet.

[QUOTE=Zippity;2212218]Avoid labels like the plague :([/QUOTE]

^ Agreed :slight_smile:

As I’ve said many times, I lost quite a lot of valuable data to labelled discs, so I wouldn’t touch labels with a ten-foot pole.