Which DVD-Burner to buy

Hi,
i’m searching for a new dvd-burner for my PC. My actual one is a NEC 2500 and i was happy with it, till it starts since a few weeks to burn cds and dvds with wrong sectors, so that for example the movie is not playable at 60-70% of the film.
Now i want to buy a new one. I want a burner with a very good error correction und a very good write-quality. These are the main goals, speed is not very important! It would be nice if Lightscribe would be on board, but its not a “must-have” if ther is a much better one without lightscribe.

Please help me! :smiley:

I thought here are freaks? Is no one able to give me a tip? :sad:

btw: can i use a normal internal dvd-drive in an external usb case. whats zhe different in using firewire for the burner?! :bow:

Buy BenQ 1655 or NEC 4551.

I really like my LiteOn 165p6s, although it only has the DVD-RAM capability. However, I only have completed 3 burns with tyg02 media, although all were excellent. Otherwise, a BenQ 1655 does seem to be a very good burner, and will also let you do quality disc scanning at 8x and 8ECC, whereas the Liteon 165p6s will let you do scanning at 1ECC, something that should give you a more indicative picture of your burn, and how good it really was or not.

I have a Benq 1650. It’s a drive generally well regarded in this forum.

I’ve also heard good things about the Pioneer 111/110.

Hi.

Erm, did you browse through the forums? Have you read some reviews?

btw: can i use a normal internal dvd-drive in an external usb case. whats zhe different in using firewire for the burner?! :bow:
This is a FAQ. There is a big thread about that here.
In short:
For external use a writer is preferred, that supports UDMA-4. Recommended chipsets for external enclosures are Prolific and Cypress.
Firewire usually offers less system load and allows a smoother data transfer. Like with USB, there are drives that work good in external enclosures, some others are poor.

Michael

Thank you for the answers so far! I have decided now to buy an external drive.
Would you prefer the

- Samsung SE-S164L  or
 - LG Electronics GSA-2166D   ??  :rolleyes: 

Does one of them have a technologie like “solid burn” like benQ?
Does somebody know what drive is in the “LaCie d2”? Or do they build their own drives?

Lacie often uses Samsung drives. Sometimes others.
Maybe a check of their support area, especially the download section might be useful.

I’d personally prefer the LG, if I had the choice of these 3 drives.

Michael