Which dvd burner to buy

I am looking for a new dvd burner. The new movies coming out are dual layer and I cant watch them on my computer anymore. I want one the will play the movies from the video store and one that will burn dvds. I just don’t know which one will do both for me. Any help

Welcome to the forum.
Please review the helpful hints in the newbie section http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=145928
This section will answer a lot of questiion and give you tip on searching the forum.
Your question get asked a least once a week in this forum, I think it would be very useful if you searched the forum for helpful answers.

Your question is similar to a question asking what car should I buy.
Many people have different opinions. There is no consensus as to which dvd burner is best. Which car is best?, well what do you want, something fast, something dependable, something that will carry 9 people comfortably etc. It’s similar with dvd burners.

I suggest that you go to the Hardware forum and go to the dvd burner reviews and comments subforum http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107.

What you need to do is gain some knowledge about the different burners so that you can narrow down your choice.

Good luck.

Basically I am wanting to find out how do I know if a dvd burner will play the new dvds on the market. Is it dvd rom or dvd dl?

All DVD readers should play dual layer discs. It’s been around since they first hit the market. If you can’t even play dual layer discs in your computer, then you have some serious problems elsewhere.

But, to answer your question, BenQ 1640 :stuck_out_tongue:

If you want to see what drive does what, the manufacturers site will list this. Also all the main retailers will provide this information when you compare dvd burners.

All the dvd burners read dvd-rom.
All the new dvd burners read dvd dl
All the new dvd burners burn dvd dl (BENQ 1640, NEC 3540 are newest).
Only some of the new dvd burners write dvd-rom. most dvd burners will bitset DVD+R to dvd-rom.
Check out the BENQ 1620, NEC 3520, LG 4165 (older, but still great burners), Plextor 712 / 740 (IMO overpriced) at www.newegg.com (you can also see their specs at newegg).

The above burners are only a few of the many burners that people in this forum think highly of. Also, check out the hardware forum to learn about benq, nec, plextor, lite-on, lg and pioneer forums. All make good burners, each has it’s own following in the forum. The point of the hardware forum is to provide you will a tool to learn about these drives other than manufacturer specs. Also found in this forum are surveys where members have voted for their favorite drive.

Uhhh, DVD-ROM implies a pressed disc, so good luck writing one of those in any burner.

Maybe you meant DVD-RAM?

JUST WANTED TO SAY THANK YOU TO EVERYONE. THERE MUST BE SOMETHING WRONG WITH MY LITEON SOHW 1633S. BECAUSE IT ONLY READ A FEW DVDS AND WHEN IT COMES TO WRITING IT START UP AND THEN MAKE A NOISE LIKE SOMETHING IS GRINDING. TIME FOR A NEW ONE AND I THINK THAT THE LITEON SOHW 1693S LOOKS PRETTY GOOD.

THANK YOU :bigsmile:

Try pioneer It’s usually cheap and reliable, most of friends I know use them brand, and they work for them fine.

NEC 3540, the new LG, Benq 1640 or the Pioneer 109 would be my recommendations.

I stand corrected…

Just to continue the DVD-ROM thread…
QSuite program for the BenQ 1640 drive allows you to change the book type of DVD+R and DVD+RW to DVD-ROM … not DVD-RAM…??