Which DVD brand?

vbimport

i was looking aroung the net for some DVD and found out loads of different brands. some have huge margin in prices.

are DVDs all the same?
is it ok to buy the cheaper ones without compromising the stability of my data stored in it?
or should i go for the expensive ones to ensure that my data wont be lost?

whats DVD brands do you recommend?
is 1TEK and Platinum any good?

thanks. be waiting for any suggestions.

Cheap dvds with non-descript brands are pot-luck. Sometimes you’ll strike a brand that is okay, other times you will get burned badly and loose data/movie files within weeks or have dud burn after dud burn.

Best rule of thumb. Use brand name disks only and try to get them on sale, if you can. For sensitive data and back-ups use high quality disks like TDK, etc. They are your back-ups, after-all. Imagine getting half way through a Norton’s disk restore and having a disk die on you…I know, it’s happened to me! :iagree:

No, DVD recordable media isn’t all the same - quality can vary widely.

I’d be concerned about buying Ritek DVDR media at the moment, at least until they can get their quality control together. As for the Platinum, never heard of it, sorry!

If you can buy online, Taiyo Yuden make excellent discs…for regular stores, try Verbatim.

May I also suggest having a little look around the Blank Media forum here at CDF :slight_smile:

Edit: Haha, Stroppy posted before me…and reminded me about TDK, doh! :doh:

Most people tend to go with Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim, but it’s really down to personal preference and which media suits your drive.

Cheap media can cause problems with some burners and do tend to produce lower quality burns.

Have a look at the blank media forum for some suggestions.

If you post your location (not too specific ie UK / USA etc) I sure you will get some recommendations on where to buy quality media at reasonable prices.

You may also want to look up your burner in the optical drives forum. This will give you an idea of what media it likes

Edit

Edit: Haha, Stroppy posted before me…and reminded me about TDK, doh!
You both beat me :frowning:

This is so true. One of my drives won’t burn a certain kind of Verbatim well, but the others burn it beautifully.

So stating your drive and firmware could help here :slight_smile:

Second that or is it 3rd or 4th :confused: , agree to all , comes to experimenting with different media to find what your drive likes best :smiley:
Sorry slow on the keys , went as fast a my 2 fingers could

Hi,

This brand (by bestmedia.de) is quite widespread here in Germany. They put anything, they could buy for a low price into their boxes and spindles. Sometimes, such a spindle contains media from several manufacturers. :rolleyes:
Last weekend I saw CD-R from them in a spindle, that has the typical TY shape…

Michael

Ah, thanks for the heads-up! :slight_smile:

This is the only brand my NEC 1300 & 2500 refused to recognise let alone burn. I bought a spindle of them when I first got a DVD writer abd had to take them back.

That says a lot about Platinum discs :bigsmile:

Yup, especially since the NECs are pretty flexible with media.

Well, to be fair, we are going back quite a bit now, they have had plenty of time to improve. Wonder how they would work now? I haven’t seen them for sale anyhwere I go shopping so never had the chance to try them again.

Don’t I know it Jester I think I have thrown everything in the 2500 since I had it and the only failiure was a PS2 game back up that I burnt at 8x instead of 4x and so was my fault.

thanks for the opinion guys. sorry didnt know that theres a blank media forum should have posted my question there. il try to look the blank media forum and the optical drive forum to gain some more knowledge.

im here in UK and im not sure what burner my PC has but it says something like “TSST corp CD/DVDW TS-H552B” is that it?. lol sorry.newbie

im intending to use the DVDs on video backups.

thanks again for all the help.

TSST = Toshiba Samsung Storage.

Just found this out in another thread, so we’re all learning here. :bigsmile:

umm… sorry im not sure how to find out what firmware im using.

Nero InfoTool should tell you (if you have Nero installed, it’s in the Toolkit)…I believe CD-DVD Speed will too (also in the Toolkit).

You say you’re here in the UK…as a rule, Verbatim media is usually very good on most drives. :slight_smile: Whether other media would be good too, I wouldn’t know about (since the last Samsung drive I owned was a CD-RW)…so I’d wait for a few more people to chime in. :bigsmile:

TSST = Toshiba Samsung Storage.
Always wondered what that meant - nice one arachne :clap:

Here’s a bit more info for you.

I use sony but that is because they seem to work best in my burner although lately I have been getting a bad media error for some reason.

Best buy has Verbatim 16X DVD-R and +R media on sale for 7.99 USD per 25 pack spindle… dont think you’ll find a better deal on 16X anywhere else… recommend ordering online as in-store pick up… if they’re out of stock at the store u select, they will ship it within 3 days, for free!

Best buy has Verbatim 16X DVD-R and +R media on sale for 7.99 USD per 25 pack spindle… dont think you’ll find a better deal on 16X anywhere else… recommend ordering online as in-store pick up… if they’re out of stock at the store u select, they will ship it within 3 days, for free! *** free shipping that is