Which drive is lying?

vbimport

Hello,

Recently I decided to replace my aging benq DW1620 with Asus DRW-24B1LT which, as I understand, is actually LiteOn iHAS424 inside. In addition I have an additional drive capable of error checking: Samsung’s TS-L632H.

I checked a couple of DVDs recently burned by benq in all 3 drives, and got very different results, see an example attached (those are results of a test of one dvd in all 3 drives).

Since results are so different, which of them tells the truth? According to LiteOn, the burn is extremely bad (though the drive doesn’t have any problem with reading the disk), according to Samsung it is just not very good, and according th BENQ it is good.

Who is right? How it is possible to interpret so different results?

P.S.: unfortunately I was wrong saying that LiteOn can read the disk - Alcohol 120% was able to create an image from the disk, but nero had failed, stating that it encountered an incorrectable error

PIE/PIF is not an intrinsic property of a disc that can be measured objectively, so each drive reports how it subjectively encounters such errors while reading/scanning the disc.

So in other words, each drive is expected to tell a different story - it’s just that in this case, the stories are very different. But you shouldn’t think of this as one drive lying and the other drive telling “The Truth”. There is no Truth, only a subjective measurement.

That being said, not all drives produce useful PIE/PIF scans, and I’m not familiar with the Asus DRW-24B1LT and if it’s a LiteOn inside as you say, but you might be right.

The bottom line is that you either have a bad disc or a bad drive.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2546252] I’m not familiar with the Asus DRW-24B1LT and if it’s a LiteOn inside as you say, but you might be right.

The bottom line is that you either have a bad disc or a bad drive. [/QUOTE]

Yes the Asus DRW-24B1LT is basically a Liteon iHAS424 inside as you can see in
my system burner specs I have 3 installed at the moment and all 3 cross flashed
to different iHAS models. :iagree:

I also have an Asus DRW-24B1ST in an external enclosure that is basically just a
iHAS324 on the inside. All 4 of the drives are excellent scanners and burners with
the cross flashed iHAS424 drive being the best of the best it is the most consistent
burner and scanner of them all. :clap:

As for the original posters question I would 100 times rather believe the Liteon scan
over the Samsung scan as Samsung drives are known to not be the best scanners out
there on the market. Now as for the BENQ scan I always take a scan from them lightly
with a grain of salt. :bigsmile: