Which disc holds Epson Ink better -- TY Silver, or White Inkjet printable tops?

To me, it seems the white top would have better ink absorbtion. But I haven’t had a look at the Silver Printables to compare, nor do I have an Epson DVD printer yet – I’m just trying to find what works best together before making any purchase. I don’t intend to print background images, only basic title info in black text.

Mostly, I’m looking for a solution which will permit the Epson to print a TY 8x printable disc, where the ink will be set sufficiently in an hour (or less) to allow burning without the risk of the ink running.

I’ve looked at thermal printing options, but the affordable printers have a higher print cost and some of them may scratch the discs…

Thanks. :slight_smile:

As long as it is a printable disc then it will “take” the ink. The only difference is the way the print will look. I personally do not like the look of a print on a silver printable compared to a white, others are the otherway round. Where the silver and white printables are concerned it is a matter of personal choice, though as you are only printing text I would go for white.

Makes no difference what type disc you use if you have your print driver set correctly. You can use different paper types and adjust the color and contrast to suit yourself. Regardless of what you use, it should be dry to touch within a few minutes, or less.

Plain text would look strange on a silver printable, rd, the white provides the best contrast especially against black text.

I had read “scare” stories about Epson ink running on a printable if not allowed to dry overnight before burning, but perhaps that is with a full disc print at default print density settings. Sounds like the Epson software will allow me to set the print density to a less-saturated level, which will absorb/dry faster.

Thanks for the fast response, guys! :slight_smile:

Slightly OT: are you printing and then burning ? I have just taken delivery of a canon iP5200R and without giving it any thought scaned a disk and then printed.
Does anyone think that it matters which way round you do it. Using plain white inket printables the disks I have done so far are dry as soon as the printer spits them out.

As to the original question - I think that printing to white makes design a bot easier.

Makes no difference, unles the burn is crappy - in which case you just wasted some ink.

I had read “scare” stories about Epson ink running on a printable if not allowed to dry overnight before burning, but perhaps that is with a full disc print at default print density settings.

These stories are started by people who are using the wrong kind of discs. Inkjet discs shouly be touch-able immediately, tacky for maybe one min. If printed at max intensity with very dark colors, tacky for maybe 3 min, but under no circumstances should you see “runny” ink.

My Epson R200 prints have always been fine within 5 minutes (erring on the safe side).

You guys know where I can get a 50pack of TY white inkjet printables online for cheap :D!?

rima.com… but they only have 100 packs of white…

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width=“100%” border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style=“BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset”>Originally Posted by HarrySmiith

Slightly OT: are you printing and then burning ? I have just taken delivery of a canon iP5200R and without giving it any thought scaned a disk and then printed.
Does anyone think that it matters which way round you do it. Using plain white inket printables the disks I have done so far are dry as soon as the printer spits them out.

As to the original question - I think that printing to white makes design a bot easier.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Makes no difference, unles the burn is crappy - in which case you just wasted some ink.

That is sound advice :slight_smile:

The methodology of printing a disc before writing applies best to a higher volume videotape-to-DVD transfer business type model, where it is easier to keep track of jobs if the project title is already on the disc to be burned – and especially after the disc is burned – where it can go straight into its matching case, with insert already printed during the burn.

I would personally use the white matte surface printable - If you are printing text I don’t see a problem with burning your discs within that time.

I personally never burn my idiscs after printing them and would recommend you burn your media FIRST, then print them. Printing the media first and then burning will likely get you a higher error rate on your disc due to the handling and the possible debris/dust present on the tray.

As to drying times, it depends on what printing mode you use. There are 2 types of printing, normal CD/DVD printing or premium surface CD/DVD. In most cases you will use the normal printing with excellent quality. I really don’t see the need for using the premium surface mode as it consumes much more ink and requires longer to dry (usually 24 hours at least).

In that case take a look at the canon iP5200, ip4200…

using yuden000T02 and burning at 8X I didn’t even think about how long it takes to dry… they were dry enough to tough as soon as printed. If you intend to burn after I guess it might be best to wait a while.

If work allows I will print one later and then burn immediately to see if there is a problem

This has only happened to those using the wrong type of discs as rd has said. Namely thermal printable discs hich are not for use in a inkjet as long as you use injekt printable there will be no problem. I have printed and stuck straight into a DVD player with no problems, drying time was however long it talk me to walk 5 yards to the other end of the living room.

The methodology of printing a disc before writing applies best to a higher volume videotape-to-DVD transfer business type model,

They actually do it the same way as most of us burn and then print, they showed it on TV a while back.

Have just printed a dvd and then immediately burned. No problem that I can see.
No need to wait 24 hours.

Harry -

In that case take a look at the canon iP5200, ip4200…

Wish we could get those in North America… :frowning:

PS - Nice scan :slight_smile:

You can get the Canon printers in the USA, but you have to pay handsomly for an imported UK model.

[OT]

You had me pick my english/french dictionary again. LOL - I knew only the adjective, not the adverb, and only the other meaning of “handsome”. I didn’t know it could mean “generous”… learning everyday. :slight_smile:
[/OT]

[OT again]
Comes from the days when looking handsome cost a lot of money and so handsomely means expensive when paying for something or generous when receiving something.

Back on topic.

The drying time is only recommended by the printer manufacturers to cover themselves. I get the warning of allowing longer for the print to dry if I use full face printables and set the diameters accordingly, even though it dries quickly, they are covering themselves from me printing on the normal printables where the surface doesn’t go right to the center of the disc.

O.T, has epson fixed that problem they had with trays going bad after a period of time>?