Which CD-R has the best top layer protection or coating?

vbimport

Which CD-R has the best top layer protection or coating to help prevent damage to the data layer?

Thanks.

The Verbatim Extra Protection ones are pretty good - though I’ve only used the ones Made in Japan (by Taiyo Yuden).

My step-dad also uses them for his work (he’s a DJ), and the discs have withstood an unreal amount of mistreatment. :wink:

You don’t say where you’re located, but they’re (were?) mainly available in Europe.

Verbie Extra Protection CDRs made by other manufacturers (CMC, MBIL) are more widely available these days, but I haven’t tried those.

The Crystal top layer on Verbatim (Super) AZO CD-R media is the toughest I have tried.

Other candidates I have tried are Plextor branded Taiyo Yuden non-printable CD-R (no longer produced), Verbatim Extra Protection CD-R and Verbatim Pastel Extra Protection CD-R. These are tougher than normal CD-R but not quite as tough as the “Crystal” top layer.

I’m in the USA. Thanks for the replies so far.

I live in U.S
Crystal top layer Verb [B]Photo CD-R [/B](Super AZO CD-R ) in Micro Center
10pack $7.99ea
But it is[B] MII[/B]

Verbatim are pretty good with most of their media. I like TY ceramic coat too.

What you want to avoid is media that has unprotected spots where writing is, if you know what I mean. (For most careful people it never matters but some people have kids who are rough and whatnot).

Here’s a pic I grabbed online real quick, see where the silver parts are that say Verbatim etc - Those spots don’t have much protection against scratches and are usually the first spots to get hit if the discs are handled roughly. http://www.aitway.com/images/18-06-07_1513.jpg

[QUOTE=Burnsama;2170289]Crystal top layer Verb [B]Photo CD-R [/B](Super AZO CD-R ) in Micro Center
10pack $7.99ea
But it is[B] MII[/B][/QUOTE]

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0261969

And no one has mentioned these:

Thanks for the PIC negritude :slight_smile:
I can’t find any MAXELL CD-R PRO in my area about 1 year ago :sad: