Which burner?

vbimport

My heads spinning trying to read reviews on DVD burners and I don’t think I’m any wiser than I was at the start!!

Anyway, I need a new one and from what I can gather, the newer models aren’t thought as highly of as older models.

I’ve managed to track down an Optiarc AD-7200A and a Pioneer DVR 115DBK (I need an IDE connection).

Are these pretty good and if so, which one is better? Are there better newer ones on the go (that might actually be easier to find!!)

I’m not good at decisions so if somebody could just tell me which is the best burner to get, I’ll trot off and get one!! :smiley:

Hi,[QUOTE=Alison556;2494235]

I’ve managed to track down an Optiarc AD-7200A and a Pioneer DVR 115DBK (I need an IDE connection).
[/QUOTE]Get both :slight_smile:

Michael

I have a stupid question ; I’m not good at decisions too, so : I will buy a new computer, and it will only have 2 5,25 slots… (µatx :sad: ). What drives should I keep between thoses 4 :

• Lite-on SHM-165P6S
  • Lite-on iHAS424
  • Pioneer DVR-S18L
  • Optiarc AD-7241S

The Pioneer is doing very good job with MBI medias, but coasters with Verbatim, Optiarc is average, iHAS424 too but usually ok for crappy noname medias, and 165P6S is old but perfect for TY (that Optiarc dislikes).

The problem is I’ll have to burn medias I’ll be given (no choice possible)…

Or maybe there is an other drive that will fit perfectly ?

Hi,

I’d install these internally:

• Lite-on iHAS424
  • Optiarc AD-7241S

This one plays nicely in an external enclosure:

• Lite-on SHM-165P6S

Since you are not that happy with this drive,

• Pioneer DVR-S18L
    you may consider its retirement :wink:

Michael

Thank you for your answer :flower:
I’ll do like you said, since 165P6S is already in an external enclosure it’ll be easier.

Even if S18L is really amazing with mbi, I wish I hadn’t bought it, it doesn’t have the “little thing” that older Pio had (even if they were quite slow readers) :a

[QUOTE=Lithium466;2495185]Thank you for your answer :flower:
I’ll do like you said, since 165P6S is already in an external enclosure it’ll be easier.[/quote]My own drive (ex Sony DW-G120A :smiley: ) is in an enclosure also :slight_smile:

Even if S18L is really amazing with mbi, I wish I hadn’t bought it, it doesn’t have the “little thing” that older Pio had (even if they were quite slow readers) :a
If I remember correctly, the 18 drives are not based on NEC chipsets. :frowning:

Michael

Yep, x18 are based on MTK chipset, in fact they are rebadged QSI (that I did’nt know when I bought mine).
Pioneer did good work with firmware, but there is still place for improvement (in fact the QSI base seems crappy, noisy and WARM after 2 or 3 burns) :slight_smile:

My 165P6S was a DW-G120A too :smiley: