Which burner to use

I have the liteon SM165h6s and the LG H62N, how do I know which to use when burning CD and DVD+R SL? There are no direct comparisons of the two.

That depends on the MEDIA used.

Why not try out both - you can quality scan DVD media using the Litey to check quality.

Having said that, for burning purposes, I’d use the H62N. We have one in my mum’s machine and it’s a nice drive. Just don’t burn your CDRs at too high a speed. I use 16x-24x.

I had the non-LS version of the Litey (the 165P6S) and it’s a little more tolerant of media quality than the LG is though. With the LG, you need to use good media.

:iagree:
The CD-R capabilities of the Liteon are average at best, so the LG is the much better option for CD-R.
For DVD SL, both drives can be good, depending on the media you are using.
Fortunately, the Liteon is a decent DVD (not CD!) scanner, so you can compare the results.

Michael

The CD-R capabilities of the Liteon are average at best, so the LG is the much better option for CD-R.
For DVD SL, both drives can be good, depending on the media you are using.
Fortunately, the Liteon is a decent DVD (not CD!) scanner, so you can compare the results.

Michael[/QUOTE]

What’s wrong with the liteon scanning the CD?

I had the non-LS version of the Litey (the 165P6S) and it’s a little more tolerant of media quality than the LG is though. With the LG, you need to use good media.

I use the verbatim DVD+R.

For CD I have a bunch of HP cdRs.

So if the LG isn’t tolerant of media quality, why should I still use it?

Another thing is that the LG seems to have problems ripping music from pressed CDs. I need to run it many times in slow mode for EAC to report a good rip. But for the liteon I can do it in one run in fast mode.

Also, is there a superior burner out now that I should buy that’s much better than both of them that I have right now?

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/top-5-optical-drives-2008-cd-freaks-members-choice-249785/

I took a look at this poll, why does everyone favor the older models instead of the newer ones?

And is it true that all brands just rebadged liteons these days?

Hi,[QUOTE=Goit;2281901]What’s wrong with the liteon scanning the CD?[/quote]It doesn’t report C1/C2 errors properly. On request, I can do a scan with Benq DW1650, Optiarc AD-7200A and a SHM-165P6S.

I use the verbatim DVD+R.

For CD I have a bunch of HP cdRs.

So if the LG isn’t tolerant of media quality, why should I still use it?
The LG doesn’t like poor media, but you should get nice results with good media.

Also, is there a superior burner out now that I should buy that’s much better than both of them that I have right now?
I like my AD-7200 :wink:

Michael

So does that mean that all of the music that I ripped with EAC were bad? Or is that just for scanning?

And are the Benq Optiarc, and Liteons the only brands that can do scanning?

Plextors can do scanning as well, and there are specialized tools to use with them.

I personally do a lot of dvd scanning with my Samsung SH-S203B, though you have to do a registry fix to enable it in Nero CD/DVD Speed. I find it to be very similar in scanning to my BenQ (though the Samsung isn’t as good for cd scans and doesn’t report jitter). Your mileage may vary on this model of Samsung…Bob tells me his isn’t a good scanner.

My Optiarc 7240s is not a good scanner, so apparently not all Optiarcs work well either.

Edit: I believe Michael was talking about cd scanning with the Lite-on.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2281946]

Edit: I believe Michael was talking about cd scanning with the Lite-on.[/QUOTE]

That is for the ripping music question that I asked right?

And so most drives out there scans poorly? Isn’t Plextor also rebranded these days?

And what’s the best speed for the Liteon and LG that I have to burn DVD+R, DVD+RDL and CD-R?

Also, I have heard that DVD burners are bad for burning CDs. Is that still true?

[QUOTE=Goit;2281949]That is for the ripping music question that I asked right?
And so most drives out there scans poorly?[/quote]Scanning capabilities are absolutely unrelated to CD (or DVD) ripping.

Isn’t Plextor also rebranded these days?
That’s correct. Latest Plextor branded drives are recycled Liteons.

And what’s the best speed for the Liteon and LG that I have to burn DVD+R, DVD+RDL and CD-R?
Don’t use the Liteon for CD-R. As for DVD media, 8x or 12x should be okay, but this depends on the media you are using. Just test the results with your Liteon.You may also browse the Scans&Discussions threads of these drives to get an idea about what speeds give the best quality.

[QUOTE=Goit;2281958]Also, I have heard that DVD burners are bad for burning CDs. Is that still true?[/QUOTE]This is at least true for Liteon drives.
Pioneer and NEC drives are rather good CD writers.

Michael

[QUOTE=Goit;2281949]That is for the ripping music question that I asked right?

And so most drives out there scans poorly? Isn’t Plextor also rebranded these days?

And what’s the best speed for the Liteon and LG that I have to burn DVD+R, DVD+RDL and CD-R?[/QUOTE]

Yes

Many drives are poor scanners, some like LG don’t support it at all. Plextor is indeed selling rebadged drives these days.

Best speed is not something anyone can tell you. You have to do your own testing with your particular burner/media combination. I tend to burn +R at 8x most of the time, though there is little difference using high quality disks at 12x in any of my burners. I burn Verbatim +R DL at 4x…again many others will go to faster speeds with the 8x version of the Verbatim DL, so don’t take my normal speed as gospel.

CD’s I burn at 16x to 24x usually, though it is very rare for me to burn cds any more.

To answer your other question about dvd burners and cds, look at the reviews here at cdfreaks. They are quite extensive in coverage. You’ll find that most dvd burners still do a good job with cds.

Is multisession disk best done with DVD+RW? That’s what I read here.

Multisession should be avoided.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2281976]Multisession should be avoided.[/QUOTE]

This is not to bash you powerusers, but I see a lot of warnings here about bad software/hardwares here and there. Are they that seriously flawed? Because of stuff like multisession is so bad, why would the engineers even come up and actually implement it into their products in the first place?

[QUOTE=Goit;2282232]This is not to bash you powerusers, but I see a lot of warnings here about bad software/hardwares here and there. Are they that seriously flawed?[/quote]There are too much posts of the “Help!!! My data are not accessible” type around here. I don’t want to judge if there is a general design flaw, software bugs or simply PEBCAK.

If you want to put smaller amounts of data onto a disc, you should consider using DVD-RAM (just like a big floppy disc). Both, your Liteon and your LG support this. I’d prefer the LG for that purpose.

Michael