Which burner to buy

OK, so I backed up my files on CD, then reformatted my harddrive and reinstalled Windows. Once I got it all running, I quickly checked that the drives could read and such and they all worked, but I didnt try writing a cd. When I needed to write one the other day, the drive just kept saying that I didnt have a blank disk, so I tried other disks and they also didnt work. I contacted Yamaha (I had a CRW2100EZ) and they said that the drive was toast. I kind of don’t believe it since I wrote a disk a day or so before I reformatted, but I can’t figure out what else I can do since they will not help me. Seems like a generic response to something they do not want to troubleshoot, but there are no conflicts showing in the device manager so I wouldn’t even know where to start!

At any rate, since it is sometimes easier to replace things than fix them, I am in the market for a new burner. I was thinking of taking this opportunity to upgrade to a DVD burner (since it took 4 CDs to backup my files!), but I don’t know anything about them. What are the pros/cons versus a CD-RW? Which one should I get? Should I get a SCSI or IDE?

BTW, my computer is:
P4 1.4GHz
640 MB RDRAM
64 MB Elsa Gloria III
Kenwood TrueX 52x CDrom
Yamaha CRW2100EZ burner (will be removing)

Thanks for the help in advance!

The decision btw cdrw and dvdrw is a tough one I would say because nowadays things are so large that having larger capacity is worhtwhile. Particularly games. If your needs are simple and do not commonplace surpass the 700mb limit then I would suggest an ASUS or Lite-on 52x. They are great burners and defeat marketing protections on audio and data cd’s well. One of my friends is very happy withhis Sony DVDRW and given Sony is a great overall mfg in just about any product line I would pass along his opinion.

Hope it helps some & Good Luck!!!

I would recommend getting a Lite-On IDE drive. If you need a DVD burner now, the LDW-410S, a DVD+RW drive, can write DVDs at 4x, CD-Rs at 40x, and CD-RWs at 24x. If you don’t need a DVD burner, the LTR-52246S (52x24x52x) and the LTR-52327S (52x32x52x) would be good choices.

Thanks for the suggestions, however, after reading the reviews here and because of their reputation I chose the Plextor 708A. I have to say that this drive is just unbelievable and I am giddy I am so excited about it!! I am still playing around with the drive but so far I have no complaints. One of the most impressive things about the drive is how quiet it is - it is hardly audible even at full spin. Also, the speed is just incredible. I backed up my files, about 2.4 GB, on the rewriteable disc that it was packaged with and the entire disc was written in about 5 minutes.

On a less than happy note, after I installed the plextor drive and installed Roxio 6, my yamaha drive works too, so the whole purshase was unnecessary. However, I am now hooked on the drive and am going to keep it. I did send an “I told you so” message to Yamaha and told them I would not be buying another one of their products due to their poor attempt at tech support! They want me to call them back to discuss the issue…