Which burner should I get for backup purposes, BH14NS40 or BDR-2208?

vbimport

I just want a burner to backup my pictures videos and some zip files to BD-R’s and maybe to DL BD-R’s too. That’s all I’m going to be using the burner for.

If you do suggest the LG one is it worth spending the extra 20$ for the BH16NS40 ? It’s not like I’m going to be burning at 16x anyway.

Yo New_Wolf-

I would advise going with the Pioneer 2208 as they have proven to be very reliable BD burners for several years!!

I would go with the [B]BH14NS40 [/B]as you can also burn M-DISC media
with that, which will last a lot longer than common DVD or BD media.

Just perfect for the archiving purposes you’re aiming at!

[QUOTE=CDFmurphy;2687846]I would go with the [B]BH14NS40 [/B]as you can also burn M-DISC media
with that, which will last a lot longer than common DVD or BD media.

Just perfect for the archiving purposes you’re aiming at![/QUOTE]

M-DISC DVD+R 4X Cake Box 50 Pack for 126.99$

I’d have to burn 123 M-DISC’s. No way it’s to much money. I’ll be reburning my 11 blu-rays disc every couple of years cause of updates.

Hi New Wolf,

my apologies for not being precise enough … of course for large files – not for archives of countless small files! – you should still use BD media on a BD recorder (otherwise I would have suggested a DVD recorder with M-DISC functionality), but for the most important private data like personal photos and documents M-DISC is the way to go for several reasons:

[ul]
[li]personal data is not recoverable from other sources - once it’s lost, it’s lost forever
[/li][/ul][ul]
[li]AFAIC I don’t know anyone who has more than a few GBs of personal data, which fits on just one M-DISC
[/li][/ul][ul]
[li]therefore you don’t have to buy a vast number of disks, a package of 10 will last for the drive’s lifetime
[/li][/ul][ul]
[li]I suppose you are aware of the dye degradation issue, but reburning the data every couple of years might not save you from unexpected data loss or undetected data corruption
[/li][/ul][ul]
[li]M-DISC systematically doesn’t suffer from dye degradation, or at least it’s close to zero
[/li][/ul][ul]
[li]in the midterm instead of having to spend more you will rather save a couple of bugs, as you would need multiple DVD disks (frequently repeated backups on media of different types and/or brands) to achieve (approximately) the same reliability of a single M-DISC
[/li][/ul][ul]
[li]any drive that can read DVD ROMs can also read M-DISCs, as both are physically comparable
[/li][/ul]
I’m neither working for Millenniata nor selling their products, only pointing out some alternative and superior solutions … just think it over :wink: