Which burner for protected CD's?

vbimport

I am so confused and I do not know which drive to choose!

I've read many articles on these drives and still can't choose one of them. Some articles say the Asus is very gOOd and others say the Lite-On is very gOOd. The Lite-On has been having some problems when copying copy protected games, which I don't know if it is true, but I heard it on this forum. In other sites and mags they say the Asus is very capable at burning protected CD's, even better than that of the Lite-On, which has been the number one drive for copy protections since way back. I hope once and for all this poll will let me know which ones the best!
:rolleyes:

I wouldn’t buy either of them.

You forgot to mention the LG drives. Any of the GCE series (16x, 32x & 40x) cut safedisc to ribbons without AWS in CloneCD.

The 24x LG drive is questionable.

Don’t know exactly anymore about the Asus. Asus is a good writer, it does do SafeDisc 2.51.021, it is an extremely fast reader when reading protected data cd’s (ask FutureProof, he is really fond of this drive… :stuck_out_tongue: ), but it does something not what other drives can do, can’t remember what it is… maybe somebody else can confirm/explain this?

The LiteOn does it all regarding protected data cds! It is only bad for protected audio cd’s, for this you would need a Plextor drive…

Besides this: the LiteOn can be overclocked to a 48 speed writer, a lot of people in our LiteOn forum have positive experiences with this!

So I would go for the LiteOn! (It’s is also a faster writer because it is using p-cav technology, while the Asus uses z-clv technology…)

:smiley:

Edit:

In this thread FutureProof is summing up the capabilities of the Asus, apparently it does do all the available data protections! So regarding the ability to copy protected data cds there are no differences. So you you should make a decision based on other arguments like price, media compatibility, ability to overclock, etc.

Originally posted by oVerCaffeinated
[B]I am so confused and I do not know which drive to choose!

I’ve read many articles on these drives and still can’t choose one of them. Some articles say the Asus is very gOOd and others say the Lite-On is very gOOd. The Lite-On has been having some problems when copying copy protected games, which I don’t know if it is true, but I heard it on this forum. In other sites and mags they say the Asus is very capable at burning protected CD’s, even better than that of the Lite-On, which has been the number one drive for copy protections since way back. I hope once and for all this poll will let me know which ones the best!
:rolleyes: [/B]

Both are very good. I’d go with the Litey but then I’m biased not having had any failures at all with my LTR24102B. However, since, as I recall from other posts, you’re from Melbourne (like me), check the prices in The Age green guide and just get the best deal. (The Liteys are unbelievably cheap at the moment. :smiley: )

PS Since we don’t have copy protected audio in Oz for the time being, you don’t have to worry about the Litey’s inability to read it.

Lite-On.
Biased? Me? No, how could you say that… :bigsmile:

Can be clocked to a 48x as Upp3rd0G says…

1. I’m not from Melbourne I’m from Bendigo!
2. I’m getting a Lite-On
:o