Which burner? (AKA How Important is BitSetting\BookType)

Right now I am torn between 2 burners. One is the BenQ DW800A and the other is the NEC 2500A.

I know the NEC has better writing quality across many different kinds of DVD media, along with 8x DVD-R ability, but it’s missing one thing, the booktype\bitsetting option.

How important is it? Do only a small percentage of players require it to be set to DVD-ROM? What about gaming systems? Will future firmwares enable that type of setting with the drive, or is that impossible?

Maybe you should first try to get a burned DVD+R from someone else and check if this disc can be read on all your DVD drives. If you can read them, there will be no need for bitsetting, otherwise it might help you

Or just use -R discs and hope that someone makes a tool for it down the road to support bit setting. -R media is just as good as +R basically. The NEC drive far outclasses the first one imho and is worth getting.

If you want to be able to burn +R for whatever reason the LiteOn 811S burns +R/+RW discs really nicely and has good community support. Check the link in my signature for a list of some tools for the 811S.

GL. Enjoy your new burner whatever you get :smiley:

I was not very lucky when using DVD-R discs. They could be played back by my standalone player (+R(W) or -RW did not work), but most media I could get was very crappy. The only media that did not cause any problems was Verbatim. DVD+R were not making that many problems.
So I would prefer bitsetting in firmware, because I guess that those discs will work fine in my standalone.
Maybe I would buy a NEC1300, but unfortunately I have not seen any KProbe scans of discs written with this burner to compare the writing quality. NEC2500 would be great too, but I have not seen bitsetting for it yet.

I think that bitsetting is very important, and hopefully the recorder manufacturers will get the idea and make it more universally supported. I wish the new NEC would support it.

If Bitsetting was supported by the 2500, I would already have bought this drive.
But unfortunately I still have to wait and do not know exactly which drive to get.
LiteOn supports bitsetting (at least with some firmwares), but writing quality seems to be far away from that of the NEC.
The NEC has a great writing quality, but I don’t want do be dependant on DVD-R discs in order to be able to play them on my standalone. :frowning:

Bitsetting is completely pointless
If you have an old standalone player that needs it
chuck the player in the bin and buy a new one.

amazon are selling standalone players for £34
delivered that play everything. Learn to let go
of old outdated equipment.

Originally posted by aggybong
[B]Right now I am torn between 2 burners. One is the BenQ DW800A and the other is the NEC 2500A.

I know the NEC has better writing quality across many different kinds of DVD media, along with 8x DVD-R ability, but it’s missing one thing, the booktype\bitsetting option.

How important is it? Do only a small percentage of players require it to be set to DVD-ROM? What about gaming systems? Will future firmwares enable that type of setting with the drive, or is that impossible? [/B]

I think DW800A is not so popular outside asia(taiwan?). I prefer ND-2500A, but DW800A is not a bad choice. I guess you can find many k-probe scans in cdfreaks, so i would only post DW800A scans

DW800A, firmware B3B7, Ritek 4X +R

DW800A, firmware B3B7, Ritek 4X -R

I don’t recommend Liteon LDW-811S, especially -R. If you really want to buy a drive for k-probe … at the same price level, you are able to buy a better drive. You may bet a new firmware to improve writing quality. Anyway, k-probe scans

LDW-811S(4X burning), firmware HS0K, Ritek 4X +R

LDW-811S(4X burning), firmware HS0K, Ritek 4X -R

Well, I currently have the DW800A, and the k-probe scans look really bad compared to retail pressed DVDs. I only have a Lite-On LTR163D for scans, so I know they can’t be compared to yours.

Pressed DVD:

DVD+R 4x Ricoh media burned @4x:

Same Media burned @ 8x:

So I don’t know if its my DVD Drive having troubles reading burned DVDs or my burner, but the results don’t look that impressive when compared to retail DVDs. Going by your scans, your burns are better than a retail pressed DVD.

Kprobe scans with a DVD-ROM are not reliable and not comparable with scans from a burner so you really can’t conclude anyting about the burn quality from that.

I’m not comparing my scans to his scans, I’m comparing my retail scans to my burned scans.

DW800A, firmware B3B7 ?

I thought B3A7 was the newest out.

Originally posted by DMagic1
[B]DW800A, firmware B3B7 ?

I thought B3A7 was the newest out. [/B]

Yes, it’s the newest firmware from BenQ official.

To aggybong:
I think you don’t need to worry too much. There are three dvd burners in my hand. Liteon LDW-811S, BenQ DW800A, and ASUS 0402P(Pioneer DVR-105). In most cases, Liteon is very sensitive to discs quality. When pairing with Ritek’s Product, it’s ok(though other drives perform better). But when pairing with cheap discs, it’s a terrible reslut. You may update your DW800A firmware, I think B2I7 is enough for you. Then try some BenQ qualified +R diiscs. What I can say for sure:
Daxon (DAXON AZ1)
CMC (CMC MAG F01)
Prodisc (PRODISC R02)
Ritek (RITEK R02)
MKM (MCC 002)
Ricoh (RICOHJPN R01)
TY (YDEN000 T01- 00)
TY- (YDEN000 T01- 01)
For your reference, BenQ qualified -R discs. You’ll need to get a new dual type firmware
http://paydual.benq.com.tw/FPMSFAQ.aspx

and I really don’t think your result is poor. It’s acceptable results. DVR-105/DW800A combination is served me very well. I sold out 106D/107D for cash :slight_smile: 107D is a great drive, but lacking of +R bitsetting … what a pity.

Actually here are some qualty tests done by C’t mag and the BenQ outperforms in quality the NEC-2500A in plus media at 8x and rates pretty well in all categories compared to the other burners. They have of quality index of 100 and some of these burners (15) will suprise you. Nec 2500A is a “34” at 4x for 8x Ritek + media while the BenQ is “73” at 8x for the same media.

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13405