Which browser?

vbimport

Last night I got a nasty virus or something. Ran a scan and 5 infected objects were found. Removed them, but this morning my Internet Explorer won’t work. It opens fine, but won’t open any web pages – I get the message, “Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage”.

I’m wondering if I could somehow delete it (IE) and download another browser. Which one is a good one, in your opinion?

Any help or suggestions will be most appreciated.

I personally use Firefox (with the Adblock Plus and Flashblock add-ons) - but we have a thread started by Da_Taxman that might help you decide: http://club.myce.com/f3/what-browser-choose-310304/

:slight_smile:

You might want to try another scan.

Once you have Firefox installed, you should run one of the online virus scans…Kaspersky, Trend Micro, BitDefender, etc.

You can download Firefox on another machine and transfer the installation package to the computer that has problems if you can’t get connected any other way.

Chrome is another good choice for a browser by all reports. Fast, modern, stable.

Which version of IE do you have now? You can get IE8 and install it also.

Thanks, [B]Arachne[/B]…I’ll check out the link you provided.

[B]Kerry[/B] - I have IE 7.1. While I was waiting for replies to my question here, I did a system restore, going back 2 days. When the computer restarted, IE is now working just fine. Don’t know why I didn’t think of that this morning (wasted a chunk of my day trying to figure out a fix LOL).

I’ve heard good things about Chrome…Firefox as well.

Thanks so much to both you and Arachne for the rapid responses.

Glad it’s sorted :)…and you’re welcome :slight_smile:

I’ve yet to try Chrome, might give it a go on the other PC (it needs a format anyway so if I don’t like it…) :slight_smile:

Hi,[QUOTE=LadyC;2520784]
[B]Kerry[/B] - I have IE 7.1. While I was waiting for replies to my question here, I did a system restore, going back 2 days. When the computer restarted, IE is now working just fine. [/QUOTE]create user account with restricted permissions for your daily work. This will block ~95% of all malware installation attempts. No “Anti”-Something-software can beat this.

Michael

[QUOTE=LadyC;2520760]Last night I got a nasty virus or something. Ran a scan and 5 infected objects were found. Removed them, but this morning my Internet Explorer won’t work. It opens fine, but won’t open any web pages – I get the message, “Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage”.

I’m wondering if I could somehow delete it (IE) and download another browser. Which one is a good one, in your opinion?

Any help or suggestions will be most appreciated.[/QUOTE]

I’d simply go to Microsoft (or cnet or “file hippo” and download and install a fresh copy of Explorer8, but there is no reason whatsoever you can only have one browser on your computer.

you can only have one default browser (choose carefully)

I’m not in the microsoft hate society as some are, but I’ve never
been happy with Firefox.

I’ve got Google Chrome but I’ve only spent a few hours playing with it.

So I can’t really judge…

As for your virus problem…
What Virus protection programs are you using?

IF you are running a windows OS (you probably are because the other OS’s are sterile mules) check your Security status, check to make sure you are getting automatic updates (most deal with “security”) from Microsoft, but go to the windows update website and click the "custom"
option.

I use both the free version of AVG and Microsoft Security Essentials(free download from Microsoft) along with Windows Defender (also free)

but I don’t depend on “automatic updates” to keep the definitions updated I go to the site a couple times a week and “force” the updates…

Even most of the optional ones…

But if you manually select updates on the windows update website one of them will be Explorer 8.

I got Explorer 8 on several systems I’ve set up for others in the last couple weeks by simply letting automatic updates do it’s “thing” automatically, because updating 6.x or 7.x to 8 is virtually automatic unless you have automatic updates turned off.

I had intended to update to 8 manually, but it saved me the trouble
(I have a 4gb flash drive that’s loaded with all my general use drivers
and “install kernels” for what I consider “necissary” software. on freshly set up machines)

I don’t make fun of IT guys anymore because I’ve lately come to the belated realization that I are one:)

AD