Which browser add-ons do you use?

vbimport

I guess the thread title is self-explaining :slight_smile:

Firefox
-NoScript
-Gcache+
-Ghostery

A Greek/English dictionary, adblock and flashblock, these are more than enough fro me on Firefox.

adblock plus is all so far

Chrome with: Tampermonkey, AdBlock, Awesome Cookie Manager, Ghostery, and of course MyCE Updates.

(The Myce Update Tracker Chrome Extension is here: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/myce-update-tracker/olbdkdapmenglefblophljlnbomaiejd?hl=en )

:wink:

I also use that one, Google Hangout Extension and Chrome to Phone

I switched from IE9 to Opera Next when IE announced their security problem.
I plan to stick with Opera Next.
So far I’m not using any “add-ons” which Opera calls “Extensions”.
There are several available including some of the ones posted above.

I have about 43 different extensions for my Firefox. I’\d list them all, but… there’s 43 of them! I’d rather spend the time some of them, since I have so many. That’s not including those that were disabled, for one reason or another.

FireFox
-Classic Compact Options
-Back/forward dropmarker
-Status-4-Evar (these first three to make FireFox like version 3)
-Adblock Plus
-User Agent Switcher (for unauthorized tethering)
-DownloadHelper
-1-Click YouTube Video Downloader

Firefox

NoScript
Adblock Plus
Personas Plus
FoxClocks
Mircosoft .net Framework Assistant

To name a few.

:cool::cool:

I looked at the add ons posted
I decided to use:
Adblock Plus
User Agent Switcher
These seem to be built in"
Opera Next seems to have a built in “NoScript” functionality
Back/forward dropmarker: on Opera just R-click arrow for drop marker

I didn’t add these:
Ghostery: Phones home to company to report tracking. This information is sold to advertising companies . Good for detection but at a privacy price.
Tampermonkey Script changer interesting but more than I need.

I use TamperMonkey to provide Download links in YouTube. This is what the script adds to YouTube:

[B]Work PC:[/B]
Firefox 29.0.1

[ul]
[li]Advanced Cookie Manager 5.7
[/li][li]Classic Theme Restorer 1.1.8
[/li][li]Download Window 0.4.5
[/li][li]Firebug 1.12.8
[/li][li]Flashblock 1.5.17
[/li][li]HttpFox 0.8.14
[/li][li]Live HTTP headers 0.17
[/li][li]Modify Headers 0.7.1.1 (needed that one to showcase a severe security issue we had and which is now closed :bigsmile:)
[/li][li]PageRank Client 1.2
[/li][/ul]

[B]Home PC:[/B]
Firefox 29.0.1

[ul]
[li]Adblock Plus 2.6.3
[/li][li]Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon 0.9.2
[/li][li]Advanced Cookie Manager 5.7
[/li][li]Classic Theme Restorer 1.1.8
[/li][li]Color Management 0.5.3
[/li][li]Download Window 0.4.5
[/li][li]Firebug 1.12.8
[/li][li]Flashblock 1.5.17
[/li][li]FoxStocks 1.36
[/li][li]Html Validator 0.9.5.8
[/li][li]HttpFox 0.8.14
[/li][li]Live HTTP headers 0.17
[/li][li]Modify Headers 0.7.1.1
[/li][/ul]

[QUOTE=platinumsword;2729015]Firefox

NoScript
Adblock Plus
Personas Plus
FoxClocks
Mircosoft .net Framework Assistant

To name a few.

:cool::cool:[/QUOTE]

I use neither of those except for any plugins my .Net framework is installed but it doesn’t have a plugin showing that I can see.

FF 29.0.1
Adobe Acrobat Create PDF
Download Helper
DownthemAlll
DownthemAllAntiContainer
Fee Download Manager
TrackMeNot

As to ad blocking I use the tried and true simple Hosts edit and that basically blocks all and any pop ads or page ads from even appearing on my left or right side of my browser windows. That is way more effective then with any of those ad blocker software can ever do.

Same setup in Laptop and Desktop Windows 7.

@ coolcolors . Maybe you could give a short tutorial on doing this with Hosts.

Opera Next has “Do Not Track” in its’ settings . I think this is similar to “Track Me Not”.

I use many listed here so I’ll just add the ones I use that aren’t listed.

Scrapbook
Image Zoom
No Squint
Exif Viewer
FEBE
Tab Mix Plus
DoNotTrackMe

[QUOTE=cholla;2729136]@ coolcolors . Maybe you could give a short tutorial on doing this with Hosts.

Opera Next has “Do Not Track” in its’ settings . I think this is similar to “Track Me Not”.[/QUOTE]

Let me repeat, the file should be named “hosts” NOT “hosts.txt”.

Here is the site hosts I use to addon to my hosts file.

http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/

There is instructions in the hosts file edit. I will post a part of it the rest you can also read where it start at
"For Windows…" this is the part where it instructs you where you can find the hosts file to edit.

For Windows 9x and ME place this file at “C:\Windows\hosts”

For NT, Win2K and XP use “C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts”

or “C:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts”

For Windows 7 and Vista use “C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts”

or “%systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts”

You may have to use Notepad and “Run as Administrator”

For Linux, Unix, or OS X place this file at “/etc/hosts”. You will

require root access to do this. Saving this file to “~/hosts” will

allow you to run something like “sudo cp ~/hosts /etc/hosts”.

Ubuntu users who experience trouble with apt-get should consult

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-613521.html

For OS/2 copy the file to “%ETC%\HOSTS” and in the CONFIG.SYS file,

ensure that the line “SET USE_HOSTS_FIRST=1” is included.

For BeOS place it at “/boot/beos/etc/hosts”

On a Netware system, the location is System\etc\hosts"

For Macintosh (pre OS X) place it in the Mac System Folder or Preferences

folder and reboot. (something like HD:System Folder:Preferences:Hosts)

Alternatively you can save it elsewhere on your machine, then go to the

TCP/IP control panel and click on “Select hosts file” to read it in.

------------------

| As well, note that the format is different on old macs, so

| please visit http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/mac/ for mac format

For Android place the file at “/system/etc/hosts”. You will need root

access on your device to do this.

------------------

To convert the hosts file to a set of Cisco IOS commands for Cisco routers

use this script by Jesse Baird:

http://jebaird.com/blog/hosts-ip-host-generating-blocked-hosts-host-file-cisco-router

Here’s is what I did to merge my hosts file with their hosts file.

1. Download the site hosts file to a download folder.

2. Then copy the downloaded hosts file to the Temp and another folder to save the Original “hosts” file just incase.
    2a. Uncheck the PC hosts file from “Read-Only” if it not checked leave it I tell more later why not being “Read-Only” is bad thing for the PC hosts file.

3. Use Word to edit the downloaded hosts file and then do this edit to it…
    Before:

#<localhost>
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1 localhost
127.0.0.1 local
fe80::1%lo0 localhost
#</localhost>

4.After: Notice the “#” I placed in front of each link…this customization I did seem to worked fine under Windows 7x64…

#<localhost>
#127.0.0.1 localhost
#127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain
#255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
#::1 localhost
#127.0.0.1 local
#fe80::1%lo0 localhost
#</localhost>
5.Now to start the edit now the downloaded hosts file you opened in Word don’t use Notepad it will mess it up and you can guess how I know that already. Be sure to make the “4” change to that location and then do a “[B]Ctrl-A[/B]” to copy the entire downloaded hosts file that was opened in Word.

1. Now I open the copy hosts file in the Temp folder in Notepad and make sure if there is a:

127.0.0.1 localhosts

I made sure to add a “#” infront of the 127 locations there shown here:

Copyright © 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.

This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.

This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each

entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should

be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.

The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one

space.

Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual

lines or following the machine name denoted by a ‘#’ symbol.

For example:

102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server

38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.

127.0.0.1 localhost

::1 localhost

Not sure what other Windows O/S might will look like but this comes as a direct copy from my PC hosts file that I only change the last two half of it using the “#” character.

1. Now in Notepad that was opened when you opened Word for the downloaded hosts file. Go to notepad that has your PC hosts file open and go to the last line and add a blank return line then do a right click then paste the downloaded hosts file there and you should see your hosts file size increase.

2. Now save that PC edited hosts file in your Temp folder. And this time change the attribute to “Read-Only”. Why do this-this will protect your hosts file from having malware write redirects there to send your browser to their malware infected sight. This is what users don’t notice this little secret is a malware favorite friend-all your ads block and no scripts-once this hosts file is compromised those ads block will be of no use to stop pops or ads from coming through.

3. I am including the hosts file as it should look when you have it completed but you can also use it as well it will be set to “Read-Only” and is ready to copy to your PC hosts location to overwrite the current one there. Just be ready you will notice some site saying can’t load the ad page and that means it is working also you will get some pages showing “x” unable to load page as well other times the page will will open another browser page and will say unable to load page or be complete blank. And some pages that you went to previous that would pop with ads will now just load no ads or popups. And if you use Yahoo mail you might notice on the left/right side those ads will stop and some will say can’t load.

4. This will improve your page load time and improve your browsing so you can enjoy it more. This is something I had to learn by trial/error until I found this hosts site that finally stop those darn popups and ads from coming through.

5. Here I will attach my hosts file as zip file for you to look to see what I did. Just Unzip it to a folder and then you can use Notepad to open the file just remember it will be “Read-Only”. If you want to edit it make sure not to save it to another file but use the “Save” if you use “Save As” it will not work only “Save” option is to use that is why I said to make a backup so you don’t mess up the original files. The download hosts file even mentions this:

This file must be saved as a text file with no extension. (This means # that the file name should be exactly as below, without a “.txt” appended.)

1. The download hosts site periodically does update their hosts file but for the vast majority should be good with the current one but if you feel the need to change to the latest host blocker one can do that as well. Hopefully this instructions being rough will help others but look at the zip file and that should give one a starting point.

hosts.zip (64.8 KB)

Thanks coolcolors , It’s late for me & I’m about ready to go to bed so I gave your instructions a quick scan. I will read them throughly later this morning.

I already knew where the host file is on Vista but others might not so good information on that.
I already added to it a while back to stop the adds in Skype when it’s GUI is used.
SpyBot S&D also adds to it . I’m sure I can merge it with the one you posted. I will try to make sure there aren’t duplicate entries.
Then I will disable AdBlock Plus & see how it goes.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2729159]5.Now to start the edit now the downloaded hosts file you opened in Word don’t use Notepad it will mess it up and you can guess how I know that already. Be sure to make the “4” change to that location and then do a “[B]Shift-A[/B]” to copy the entire downloaded hosts file that was opened in Word.[/QUOTE] Perhaps you mean “[B]Ctrl-A[/B]” ?

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2729171]Perhaps you mean “[B]Ctrl-A[/B]” ?[/QUOTE]

Man that must been a late night… lmao…yes it was suppose to be Control-A can one of the MODs go and fix that or can I still edit it?

[QUOTE=cholla;2729167]Thanks coolcolors , It’s late for me & I’m about ready to go to bed so I gave your instructions a quick scan. I will read them throughly later this morning.

I already knew where the host file is on Vista but others might not so good information on that.
I already added to it a while back to stop the adds in Skype when it’s GUI is used.
SpyBot S&D also adds to it . I’m sure I can merge it with the one you posted. I will try to make sure there aren’t duplicate entries.
Then I will disable AdBlock Plus & see how it goes.[/QUOTE]

I tried Spybot in the way past and but with just the hosts edit it seem to work ok for me so far.