Which brand of CD-R is Better?

vbimport

2 stores by me have Maxell and TDK 700MB 80 min 50 pack CD-R’s on sale for 5.00 and 6.00 respectively. Which is the better brand? Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Bill

I would (and have used ) Maxell, they are Ritek, the Maxell Pro MIJ are Taiyo Yuden, all the newer TDK I have gotten have been CMC :Z

[QUOTE=gameman007;2074066]2 stores by me have Maxell and TDK 700MB 80 min 50 pack CD-R’s on sale for 5.00 and 6.00 respectively. Which is the better brand? Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Bill[/QUOTE]

I’ve used both Maxell (Ritek) and TDK (CMC or MBIL) and all of them have been fine. :slight_smile:

maxell all the way tbh or Hp or verbatim pastells if u can get them

In my opinion, recent 48x CD-R media can be split up in two classes:

Class 1 - Taiyo Yuden & Verbatim Super Azo
Class 2 - Everything else

Class 1 being excellent, Class 2 being decent to very good.

You usually get CMC, Ritek, Prodisc, Daxon or MBI CD-Rs, no matter what brand you buy (maybe some MIC stuff at no name brands, but even these wont give you problems in my experience)

I agree with Class 1 but in the USA Maxell Ritek for me anyway is light years ahead of newer CMC made CD-R’s, I can’t play any CM in my car without them skipping.

[QUOTE=Womi;2074100]In my opinion, recent 48x CD-R media can be split up in two classes:

Class 1 - Taiyo Yuden & Verbatim Super Azo
Class 2 - Everything else

Class 1 being excellent, Class 2 being decent to very good.

You usually get CMC, Ritek, Prodisc, Daxon or MBI CD-Rs, no matter what brand you buy (maybe some MIC stuff at no name brands, but even these wont give you problems in my experience)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=MegaDETH;2074106]I agree with Class 1 but in the USA Maxell Ritek for me anyway is light years ahead of newer CMC made CD-R’s, I can’t play any CM in my car without them skipping.[/QUOTE]

I would add Daxon CD-Rs to class 1 - they are actually a pretty good and very underrated.

[QUOTE=Womi;2074100]Class 1 - Taiyo Yuden & Verbatim Super Azo[/quote]As much of a Verbatim fanboy I am for DVDRs, I think that their CDrs stink, personally. High jitter, poor stability.
I certainly wouldn’t put them up there with TY. :disagree:
In my experience the only true Class 1 media are:

• In-house Maxell (disappeared)
  • Old Mitsui (old story…)
  • In-house Sony (disappeared? :confused:)
  • Taiyo Yuden (unbranded, Verbatim pastels…)
    I have no experience with Daxon.

Back to the OP’s question, I think the Maxells (probably Ritek) will be better than the TDK. But most CDRs aree kinda OK these days, as long as you don’t buy the el-cheapo stuff and stick with ‘reputable’ brands. No guarantee they will last long, though. For long-term get Verbatim pastel (will be TY) or unbranded TY from a good dealer, and burn @12X-@24X. Slower is overkill and faster produces high jitter in many burners. Original jitter with CDRs has been shown to be a pretty good indicator of potential media stability (don’t ask me why).

What burner are you going to use BTW?

[QUOTE=pepst;2074115]I would add Daxon CD-Rs to class 1 - they are actually a pretty good and very underrated.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you. Daxon CD-R’s are pretty good media.

I only have a 50 spindle of Fuji branded Daxon I use for reviews. They sure scan pretty no doubt but there was a lot of talk a while back about bad stability.

Maybe i will have to burn one and let my car player work on it for a while. :cool:

[QUOTE=juancdg;2074157]I agree with you. Daxon CD-R’s are pretty good media.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=MegaDETH;2074235]I only have a 50 spindle of Fuji branded Daxon I use for reviews. They sure scan pretty no doubt but there was a lot of talk a while back about bad stability.

Maybe i will have to burn one and let my car player work on it for a while. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Even my oldest CD-R made by Daxon/Acer Media (7-8 years old) are still in perfect shape while most of Prodiscs and cyanine CMCs and Riteks of he same age heavily detoriated.
And I also never had any problems even with the cheapest Daxon made discs (no name or Intenso branded), unfortunately I cannot tell the same thing about no name CMCs or even MCCs (first made in India media were simply terrible :Z).

[QUOTE=Womi;2074100]In my opinion, recent 48x CD-R media can be split up in two classes:

[B]Class 1[/B] - Taiyo Yuden & Verbatim Super Azo
[B]Class 2[/B] - Everything else

[B]Class 1[/B] being excellent, [B]Class 2[/B] being decent to very good.

You usually get CMC, Ritek, Prodisc, Daxon or MBI CD-Rs, no matter what brand you buy (maybe some MIC stuff at no name brands, but even these wont give you problems in my experience)[/QUOTE]

Bit simplistic of an analysis there. I have over 200 CD-Rs here and so I think I’m in a position to offer a differing view. you are right in that MIDs like DAXON, Ritek, Prodisc and so on belong in Class 2. Good media, but not necessarily the best.

I would argue that most CMC MAG belongs in a “[B]Class 3[/B]” classification, being in my experience, even with the best implementations, i.e. Memorex, isn’t all that stable.

[B]Class 4[/B]: Lower-end CMC MAG implementations, such as the crap you buy in discount chain Lidl under the “Octron” brand (unless they’ve improved in the last 5 years, I had a 10 pack of these, all unreadable now :sad: )

Also in Class 4 are crappy sub-CMC grade manufacturers that tint their rubbish quality cyanine discs substrate layers to make their discs look like phthalocyanine. From Wikipedia.

Unfortunately, many manufacturers have added additional coloring to disguise their unstable cyanine CD-Rs in the past, so the formulation of a disc cannot be determined based purely on its color.

I still have 1 CD like that, branded "Mediastar. Nasty.

Hopefully, the kind of CD-Rs I have classified as Class 4 are no longer in common production. But even modern implementations of CMC MAG should be avoided to be on the safe side, as should brands known to use them, like Memowrecks.

[QUOTE=SeanW;2074622]Bit simplistic of an analysis there. I have over 200 CD-Rs here and so I think I’m in a position to offer a differing view. you are right in that MIDs like DAXON, Ritek, Prodisc and so on belong in Class 2. Good media, but not necessarily the best.

I would argue that most CMC MAG belongs in a “[B]Class 3[/B]” classification, being in my experience, even with the best implementations, i.e. Memorex, isn’t all that stable.

[B]Class 4[/B]: Lower-end CMC MAG implementations, such as the crap you buy in discount chain Lidl under the “Octron” brand (unless they’ve improved in the last 5 years, I had a 10 pack of these, all unreadable now :sad: )

Also in Class 4 are crappy sub-CMC grade manufacturers that tint their rubbish quality cyanine discs substrate layers to make their discs look like phthalocyanine. From Wikipedia.

Hopefully, the kind of CD-Rs I have classified as Class 4 are no longer in common production. But even modern implementations of CMC MAG should be avoided to be on the safe side, as should brands known to use them, like Memowrecks.[/QUOTE]
Regarding this and your previous posts I can tell that you are obviously a CMC Magnetics. hater :p:p:p

[QUOTE=SeanW;2074622]Bit simplistic of an analysis there. I have over 200 CD-Rs here and so I think I’m in a position to offer a differing view. you are right in that MIDs like DAXON, Ritek, Prodisc and so on belong in Class 2. Good media, but not necessarily the best.

Hopefully, the kind of CD-Rs I have classified as Class 4 are no longer in common production. But even modern implementations of CMC MAG should be avoided to be on the safe side, as should brands known to use them, like Memowrecks.[/QUOTE]

Of course my ‘classes’ only apply to recent CD-R media. Not 5 year old CMC MAGs :wink:
I have bought some hundred CMC CDRs about a year ago, the cheapest stuff I could get, and the results were and still are good.

A small tip: It’s possible to quote only [I]a part[/I] of posts you are replying to, instead of quoting the whole thing.
Perform the quote as usual and remove everything except the text you are replying to. :wink:

[QUOTE=Womi;2074633]Of course my ‘classes’ only apply to recent CD-R media. Not 5 year old CMC MAGs :wink:
I have bought some hundred CMC CDRs about a year ago, the cheapest stuff I could get, and the results were and still are good.[/QUOTE]

I have a same experience with CMC CD-Rs and DVD-Rs.
The times when CMC was making a crap (cyanine) CD-Rs are gone away.

Thanks for the input gang!! I wound up getting the Maxell CD-R’s based on the comments here (not a bad deal, I found another store that was selling them for 5.00 700 MB 80 min 50 pk. I picked p 4).

Thanks again,

Bill

[QUOTE=gameman007;2074670]Thanks for the input gang!! I wound up getting the Maxell CD-R’s based on the comments here (not a bad deal, I found another store that was selling them for 5.00 700 MB 80 min 50 pk. I picked p 4).

Thanks again,

Bill[/QUOTE]

Please let us know their ATIP when you will buy it :stuck_out_tongue: