Which Brand for DVD-RAM?

vbimport

Hi,
I would like to backup my Data on DVD-RAM. So what is the best Brand for this format?

The Blank DVD Media Tests forum is for posting results of burns and scans of blank DVD media.

Your thread belongs in the Blank Media forum (the parent forum), and I’m moving your thread there! :slight_smile:

Maxell or Panasonic

Anything MIJ, which includes Hitachi Maxell and Panasonic.

I’ll add Verbatim, they are made by Panasonic. Verbatims are often easier to find and sometimes cheaper.

Michael

I only used Panasonic (it was all I could find until I recently saw some Verb RAM at Maplin’s). Works good, though. :slight_smile:

Brand new Verbatim 3x DVD-RAM, bought today:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-RAM:Matsushita Electric Industrial CO.,LTD.-M01J3004]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disc & Book Type :       [DVD-RAM] - [DVD-RAM]
Manufacturer Name :      [Matsushita Electric Industrial Co. Ltd.]
Manufacturer ID :        [Matsushita Electric Industrial CO.,LTD.]
Supplementary Info :     [M01J3004]
Formatted Capacity :     [2,236,704 Sectors = 4.58 GB (4.27 GiB)]
(...)

Apparently they have changed their MID. This is an older Verbatim disc:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-RAM:Matsushita Electric Industrial CO.,LTD.-M01J3003]
Disc & Book Type :       [DVD-RAM] - [DVD-RAM]
Manufacturer Name :      [Matsushita Electric Industrial Co. Ltd.]
Manufacturer ID :        [Matsushita Electric Industrial CO.,LTD.]
Supplementary Info :     [M01J3003]
Formatted Capacity :     [2,236,704 Sectors = 4.58 GB (4.27 GiB)]

I had old 3x Verbatim DVD-RAM in jewel cases which still had the crystal style font and DataLifePlus on it… now there are 3x DVD-RAMs in slim cases with Scratch Guard? I think this is the new MID.

Your best price will be from Panasonic.com. If you join their free club you will get no charge shipping and the 3X will come in just a little more than $1.

Hi,

Yepp. I have them in Slim Case. This is the “old” version". As far as I remember, these were declared as 2-3x certified.

now there are 3x DVD-RAMs in slim cases with Scratch Guard? I think this is the new MID.
Indeed. I have bought one in Jewel Case today. Same price as in a 5 or 10 pack.
But I could also get Panasonics for that price :slight_smile:

Michael

I have some of the older 2x-3x Panasonic branded discs and they have the 3003 ID as well.

That offer is only for US residents, isn’t it? :frowning:

Sorry. :sad:

Any MIJ RAM will do. Best is if you go with Panasonic or Maxell branded MIJs. But Panasonic 5x sometimes could be Maxell made so it does not mean when buying Maxell or Panasonic that they will be “home made”.

I like the panasonic branded ones myself. No failure issues or anything after around 18 months occasional usage on a standalone recorder. Not the most stressful environment but certainly better than some of the horror stories from -/+RW users with failed discs after a few uses.

You can now find Verbatim 5x DVD-RAM online in Europe. I don’t know who makes these but it’s probably Panasonic/Matsushita.

Yup, have used some of those Maxell MIDed Panasonic 5x DVD-RAM discs. No problems at all.

Maxell and Pana is great in case of DVD-RAM.

I only have a couple of RAM discs, i only really use them for my standalone panny recorder. The oldest disc i have is probably nearing 3 years old and its still the disc i use the most and it works perfectly. I generally record a few hours a week so its had well over 100 re-writes.

RAM media is the best! I just wish it was faster and more compatible