Which blu ray burner

Hiya everyone. Sorry if this seems to be a newbie question but I’m struggling in choosing a blu ray writer. I’m thinking of getting the LG GGW-H20L but i’ve come across another LG, the H10N that seems to almost double the price and I can’t figure out why. The pioneer 203 is a little expensive. I know its only £30 dearer but Im pushing my luck with the misses @ £150 never mind £180. Any advice greatfully appreciated.

I was in the same boat and decided on this one LG BH08NS20 but could not find it in the uk and went with the PIONEER.
The one you mention LG GGW-H20L is a bit older and only writes BD-R (SL/DL) @4x but will read HD DVD as well as BLU-RAY
Its maybe worth paying a wee bit extra for the newer one or going with a pioneer
But as always the best advice is to look at the reviews and also what the people who own them think…
I have only a few minutes ago installed my PIONEER so as yet cant tell you how good/bad it is…
zaina has compiled a good comparison table here of some of the newest drives
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f142/8x-blu-ray-burner-comparison-chart-273897/

Many thanks for the response. The pc advisor review seems to think that the H10N is also a blu ray/ HD Dvd drive and the review dates back to a year ago. I would love to buy the pioneer but as i said before I think the misses would have a fit.

[QUOTE=Smudjer;2273494]Many thanks for the response. The pc advisor review seems to think that the H10N is also a blu ray/ HD Dvd drive and the review dates back to a year ago. I would love to buy the pioneer but as i said before I think the misses would have a fit.[/QUOTE]

The H10N is on sale at amazon uk for £146.98 and it is a blu ray/ HD Dvd drive
btw it was double the price on the reviews as some of them are over 1-2 years old (drives were that price then)

First generation Blu-ray burners for PC were $1000-12000 a couple years ago as madmax said, including standalone Blu-ray player for your home entertainment about that price range. Now price dropped significantly.

Regarding H10N, which one? There are GBW-H10N and GGW-H10N, they both were first generation burners from LG. Personally, I would NOT buy the H10N because we are not sure if LG will release any new firmware update and I believe they are discontinued. No firmware update means the drive will not support newer media. Last firmware update for the GGW-H10N was April 2008. The drive only supports 9 BD-R, 2 BD-R DL and few BD-RE and BD-RE DL. No support for the el-cheapo Ritek BD-R and does not support 4x BD-R SL/DL. Some media that can be burn at 4x is Verbatim 2x BD-R and Panasonic 2x BD-R. Other than those two, you will be stuck with 2x burning = 1.5 hours for 50GB or 45 mins for 25GB. :slight_smile:

You would be better off with GGW-H20L, BH08LS20, Buffalo BR-H816FBS (OEM BH08NS20), or Pioneer BDR-203BK.

I recommend Pioneer 203 because it’s made in japan