Which Blu-ray Burner and Media?

vbimport

I’m going to buy a Blu-ray burner or two, and I’m still looking at which model to buy and what media to pair with it.

The LG WH10LS30K seems like a pretty good burner and can do 10X on some media…

But before I decide on a burner, I need some recommendations on blank media that has unbranded silver shiny tops to them for use with labels. Yes, I know labels aren’t the preferred label solution, but I can get fantastic looking artwork and color at a fraction of the cost of inkjet printed discs. I use Meritline labels and they have NEVER caused any problems on DVDs or CDs thus far. I don’t expect problems on BD media.

I’ve spotted Optical Quantum BD media around the web, but is it any good? Anything else I should look at?

Thanks!

I’m not sure which mid codes Optical Quantum is using these days. I’ve seen reports of them using both Philips and Ritek codes. http://club.myce.com/f142/optical-quantum-white-inkjet-printable-4x-bd-r-260153/

Many of us around here are a bit leery of blu ray media using Ritek mid codes. Ridata, Maxell, and Memorex use them. You should be aware that not everyone is avoiding the Ritek disks…they seem to be very popular over at doom9 forums.

I use Verbatim these days, and have been pleased with them. The ones I use do not fit your criteria, as they have brands on top and a white color. They aren’t inkjet disks however. Stick with the inorganic dye Verbatim, not their LTH disks, unless you are absolutely certain that your burner and ALL the players you will use the disks in are compatible with the LTH organic dye disks.

I would think quality of media outweighs any esthetic considerations.

By the way, labels are still not recommended. :wink:

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2526935]I’m not sure which mid codes Optical Quantum is using these days. I’ve seen reports of them using both Philips and Ritek codes. http://club.myce.com/f142/optical-quantum-white-inkjet-printable-4x-bd-r-260153/

Many of us around here are a bit leery of blu ray media using Ritek mid codes. Ridata, Maxell, and Memorex use them. You should be aware that not everyone is avoiding the Ritek disks…they seem to be very popular over at doom9 forums.

I use Verbatim these days, and have been pleased with them. The ones I use do not fit your criteria, as they have brands on top and a white color. They aren’t inkjet disks however. Stick with the inorganic dye Verbatim, not their LTH disks, unless you are absolutely certain that your burner and ALL the players you will use the disks in are compatible with the LTH organic dye disks.

I would think quality of media outweighs any esthetic considerations.

By the way, labels are still not recommended. ;)[/QUOTE]

I’ll look around some more. I’m kind of working backwards: Find silver shiny, then see if it’s any good. I’m wasting time going to merchants and picking good brands and then finding out they don’t offer anything but branded discs.

I’m well aware labels aren’t recommended, but the reasons I often hear don’t outweigh the benefits for me or my clients. The whole thickness issue hasn’t been a factor since I started using Meritline’s labels. I don’t know who is making them for Meritline, but they are incredibly thin and stick VERY flat on the disc. I can’t remember the measurements I did years ago, but a silver shiny disc with a label was thinner than a disc with an inkjet lacquer. As far as balancing is concerned, I’ve found the trick is to use the correct label applicator to ensure there is absolutely no tolerance between the center hole and the disc edges. I’ve also found I can print and apply labels faster than most semi-affordable disc printers. Refilling ink in my Canon Pro9000 is also much cheaper than ink for a disc printer. As far as waterfastness–well, why would you have a disc near a liquid anyways!? If you need to clean your discs, you’re not doing something right… Lastly, maybe not the case for Blu-rays, but for DVDs and CDs these days, if there ever is an issue, just make a new one, right? I’ll probably get a “pro” disc printer someday, but for now, it’s the best look for me.

Ritek is nothing more then potential trouble, why risk it either way to save few cents.

Verbatim, Sony, Panasonic, Phillips, TDK

and don’t use labels, buy printable disc, a printer that can burn on disc and do that instead.

I’d recommend the Pioneer BDR-205 for the burner. It’s about $200 now but if you wait you can usually find it on sale for $180 every couple weeks. The LG WH10 and Lite-On iHBS112 are cheaper alternatives, but LG is known for releasing as many new drives as possible and not supporting their existing ones with firmware updates. The Lite-On is new and not much is known about Blu-ray burn quality. Lite-On drives seem to have shorter lives in general as well.

For the media, I’ll second (or third, of fourth) the recommendation to avoid Ritek media. There’s a whole thread dedicated to Ritek BD-R that have seemed OK right after being burned, but have deteriorated and died less than a year later. I’d recommend non-LTH Verbatim 4x, which is on sale right now at newegg, $24.99 shipped for a 10-pack.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817130047&cm_re=verbatim_bd-r_4x--17-130-047--Product

[QUOTE=muzicman82;2526896]The LG WH10LS30K seems like a pretty good burner [B]and can do 10X on some media[/B]…[/QUOTE]

Another thing worth mentioning is that if you can wait, you’ll get higher quality burns by sticking with the rated speed of the disc. I’m not aware of any BD-R that are rated faster than 6x.

" not sure which mid codes Optical Quantum is using these days. I’ve seen reports of them using both Philips and Ritek codes. http://club.myce.com/f142/optical-qu…x-bd-r-260153/

Many of us around here are a bit leery of blu ray media using Ritek mid codes. Ridata, Maxell, and Memorex use them. You should be aware that not everyone is avoiding the Ritek disks…they seem to be very popular over at doom9 forums"

I noticed this thread about BLU-RAY discs and have a question regarding codes. How can we tell before buying what coding the blu-ray disc is using? Ritek versus Philips is mentioned in this thread. Is there anything on the packagin we can look for?

Thank in advance if anyone can enlighten me on this.

John

^You won’t be able to tell mid codes from the packaging. The only way to have a good idea of the mid code used on a particular type of disk is shared information in forums like ours. After you buy them it is easy to find out the mid code…several programs can tell you the disk id, including ImgBurn (free burning program).

If you’re looking for a general recommendation on media, I still think Verbatim is a good choice for BD-R. Get the regular, inorganic dye version of Verbatim, not the LTH.

Japanese made BD-R and BD-RE disks are also very good if you can stand the prices. Sony and Panasonic disks have a reliable reputation.

[QUOTE=Some Random Guy;2527059]I’d recommend the Pioneer BDR-205 for the burner. It’s about $200 now but if you wait you can usually find it on sale for $180 every couple weeks. The LG WH10 and Lite-On iHBS112 are cheaper alternatives, but LG is known for releasing as many new drives as possible and not supporting their existing ones with firmware updates. The Lite-On is new and not much is known about Blu-ray burn quality. Lite-On drives seem to have shorter lives in general as well.

For the media, I’ll second (or third, of fourth) the recommendation to avoid Ritek media. There’s a whole thread dedicated to Ritek BD-R that have seemed OK right after being burned, but have deteriorated and died less than a year later. I’d recommend non-LTH Verbatim 4x, which is on sale right now at newegg, $24.99 shipped for a 10-pack.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817130047&cm_re=verbatim_bd-r_4x--17-130-047--Product[/QUOTE]

Excellent advice that is … :clap:

I would choose the BDR-205 over the LG any time! :iagree: