Which BenQ 1655 firmware?

Just installed my drive and I’m looking for firmware suggestions/links.

Will be using the drive to burn SL and DL disks, preferrably with bitsetting for both.

Which firmware do you recommend?

Thanks.
S.

Hi cdswifty, welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

I’m using BCIB firmware on my BenQ DW1655, and the only problem is with some specific combinations of settings and media (Verbatim 16x DVD+R Made in India with SolidBurn Enabled and WOPC disabled), but otherwise this firmware is working slightly better for me than earlier firmware, especially with 16x rated Taiyo Yuden media and Verbatim CD-R Super AZO media Made in India.

The BCGB firmware would be my second choice because it doesn’t have the specific problems that BCIB has, but it’s also not quite as good for some of the DVD and CD media that I use.

BCIB would also be my choice, unless you want to burn CMCMAG E01 discs, as OPC operation is broken for these discs in all firmwares versions except BCDB… same thing with the 1650, by the way.

EDIT Maybe the above is not true for BCGB, I have no idea, not tested.

BCIB it is. Do I just download and run the executable, or is the flash process more complicated?

Not too knowledgeable about media, but it seems like BCIB is the most widely recommended unless you need to burn specific media.

Also, several people recommended QSuite. How would I use that in combination with ImgBurn?

Thanks.
S.

If your drive comes with BCxB firmware, yes just download and run the exe. If your drive comes with GCxB fimrware you will need BQFlasher.

Also, several people recommended QSuite. How would I use that in combination with ImgBurn?
You don’t need QSuite when burning with ImgBurn. ImgBurn can also control booktype, SolidBurn, Overspeed, WOPC and Test Write.

You need QSuite when you want to clean the write strategies or do QScan.

Welcome to cdfreaks btw. :wink:

OK, so would I run QScan to get the optimal burn settings and enter these in ImgBurn?

When would I want to “clean the write strategies”?

Sorry, I know these are newbie questions. :slight_smile:

Thanks.
S.

Hi :slight_smile:
Take a look [B]here[/B] for info on QSuite.
Cleaning EEPROM can be useful prior to flashing a different f/w. Or if a rogue disc has thrown the SB learning curve off track.

Flashed my GCAB firmware to BCIB using BQFlasher. Everything appears to be working well. Burned a few discs using ImgBurn already.

Turns out I have some CMCMAG E01 discs. Should I just burn those with my NEC 3350? Can’t imagine you guys flash back and forth between firmwares when you want to burn different discs, do you?

Thanks.
S.

wats the safest to flash the drive to BCIB ?..

a link to a good guide will help

cheers

The “safest” is not to flash to BCIB at all. This firmware is very sensetive and has problem handling MCC-004 and CMC MAG E01 media.

Ah, forgot your original question… but search is a great tool because this topic has been covered in lenght. :wink:

What MCC004 issues (apart from the 4x write speed one that some users seem to have)?

Well… there’s this problem. :doh:

It only seems to happen with some MCC 004 media and with SolidBurn=On (for known media) and WOPC=Off.

[I]Off topic[/I]

Isn’t that (and DrageMester’s experiences) enough for a good 16x rated media…? :wink:

Not for me. :slight_smile:

[B]DrageMester’s[/B] issue has certain requirements to trigger & I have not experienced 4x problem with 1650 equivalent firmware or even BCIB when I tried it for a while. IIRC [B]DrageMester[/B] stated he was using BCIB currently with his 1655 :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, with SolidBurn=On/On and WOPC=On. :iagree:

Hey … don’t hijack my thread. :slight_smile: I had a question:

Flashed my drive with BCIB firmware, but have some CMCMAG E01 discs. Should I just burn those with my NEC 3350? Can’t imagine you guys flash back and forth between firmwares when you want to burn different discs, do you?

And as long as you brought it up … what’s the issue with the Verbatin MCC 004 discs? I burned a few of these this morning using the BCIB firmware. How do I determine if there’s an issue? They seem to play fine.

Thanks.
S.

:stuck_out_tongue: I flash my drives back and forth sometimes depending on the dvd media that I use. :slight_smile:

Use Nero Cd-Dvd speed version 4.7.5.0 to do quality scans on the discs you’ve burned.

whats the best 1655 FW to use with media code speed edit for burning DL verbatim 2.4x discs at 8x?

I’m using BCGB with media code speed edit but the drive acts up sometimes and wont eject, takes long to eject, or half ejects and closes again.

It burns the verbatim dual layers fine but I just don’t like it acting up, before I started burning dula layers I used BCIB and the drive didn’t act up this way

If you dont care about lightscribe i would highly recomment crossflashing to a 1650. I crossflashed my 1655 to a 1650 with f/w BCDC and it was the best thing i could have done. My 1655 was not that great but once i flashed to BCDC i have had EXCELLENT burns!

I’m trying to burn DL discs for the first time with my dw1655 BCDB. I’m using ridisc extreme but nero always give me burning errors at 2.4X. I made the test with qscan and with good results. It’s because the firmware version? Which i should use BCHB or BCIB?
Thanks