Which Audio to select?

vbimport

Ok guys, I am backing up a DVD and want to removie some audio I won’t use.

It has:

1. AC3 5.1-ch English - 292 MB
  2. AC3 2-ch English - 145
  3. AC3 2-ch English - 174

Which one should i remove and what is the difference between 2-ch and 5.1-ch? :confused:

The Dolby Digital (or AC-3) audio standard allows for a number of full range audio channels (up to 5) and a LFE channel (subwoofer). The following configurations are possible.

1.0 Monaural without LFE
1.1 Monaural with LFE
2.0 Stereo without LFE
2.1 Stereo with LFE
3.0 Front L and R plus center or monaural surround without LFE
3.1 Front L and R plus center or monaural surround with LFE
4.0 Front L and R plus center and monaural surround or surround L and R without LFE
4.1 Front L and R plus center and monaural surround or surround L and R with LFE
5.0 Front L and R plus center and surround L and R without LFE
5.1 Front L and R plus center and surround L and R with LFE

Additionally the 2.0/2.1 format may be encoded for Dolby Pro Logic/Dolby Pro Logic II surround sound and the 5.0/5.1 format may be encoded with Dolby Digital Surround EX for a center surround channel.

Remove all but the AC3 5.1 and you will be OK.

NOTE: For those who don’t agree with the preceding information, feel free to contact Ray Dolby at Dolby Labs, the source of this explanation. One of the brightest men in the industry and a genuinely nice guy.

“Thanks to the remote control I have the attention span of a gerbil.” /.

one of the two 2-ch audio tracks is likely to be the director’s commentary (probably the second one), so if you want to keep that, you’ll want to hang onto that as well. otherwise, keeping only the 5.1 audio track will cover all your bases.

Thanks for your help guys. :slight_smile:

So I take it 5.1 audio is compatible with a stereo speaker system?

There is no point having 5.1 sound if you have a 2-ch output, as it will just be converted too 2-ch by the computer/standalone/tv anyway, if you do have a 5.1 output, then keep the 5.1 and lose the 2-ch.

Ben :slight_smile: