Which ATA/DVD-R Drive Add to Media Center

Hi! I bought a new HP Intel Quad Core-based PC with Vista Premium. I want to add a second DVD-R/DL Drive to it as much of what I use is AnyDVD/CloneDVD for backups and would prefer to copy drive to drive. I also use Adobe Premiere for some DV editing and want to burn DVD movies from it with Nero Ultra.

Anyway- I planned on pulling the Sony DRU-830A from my old PC and transferring it as it’s pretty new and I like it…NO DICE- I didn’t realize the new HP machine is all ATA, not an IDE ribbon cable to be had. So I need to buy an [S?]ATA drive.
As for the drive that’s already in there now, Vista Device Mgr says it’s:
“ATAPI DVD A DH16A1L”
Nero Info doesn’t tell me much more but that the FW is ‘KH15’
The HP PC seems to have an ATA Power cable free and it appears I can plug into one or two more open ATA connectors on the bottom of the motherboard but they do not document that very well at all. There are a number of bright red ATA cables already connecting (2) 320GB HDs and the Lightscribe DVD-R/DL drive above, but it looks like there is a blue and a beige open connector.
SO…what drive do I pick given this background? Any suggested source? IOW is there a good one I can walk into Best Buy and pick up over the weekend or should I order one of the Top 5s on here from an online vendor?
THANKS- great info here.

Hi,

Just for clarification: ATA means anything, so there are PATA (Parallel ATA) for the classic drives with IDE flat ribbon cable and the new SATA (Serial ATA) with the thin cables.

As for the drive that’s already in there now, Vista Device Mgr says it’s:
"ATAPI DVD A DH16A1L"
Nero Info doesn’t tell me much more but that the FW is 'KH15’
Seems to be a Liteon drive. OEM of course.

The HP PC seems to have an ATA Power cable free and it appears I can plug into one or two more open ATA connectors on the bottom of the motherboard but they do not document that very well at all.
You mean SATA?

SO…what drive do I pick given this background?
You did like your Sony DRU 830. Why not getting the same drive in SATA version? That would be the Samsung SH-S183 series.
Don’t be confused, Sony DRU-830 is a Samsung SH-S182D clone :slight_smile:
You might also have a look for the brand new SH-S203 drives, they look very promising.

Michael

Thanks for your reply. Any idea if Best Buy, Circuit City or Costco might sell the Samsung drives you mention?

Or buy an adapter and use the IDE drive in the new computer anyway.