Which AMD CPU?

vbimport

It’s time to screw around with my PC again. Does anybody know which of these CPU’s is better to use:
Athlon 64 3800+
Athlon 64FX 57
Athlon 64X2 4800+
I am using Athlon 64 3500+ which works fine with 4GB RAM and Vista Ultimate 64Bit. It is an ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 MB, two Seagate 300GB HD’s, and Benq and Plextor burners. I have never used an FX or X2 CPU, and really can’t tell by using other peoples PC.

Get the dual core CPU. It will deliver the best performance especially with applications that can taken advantage of dual core processors. Where are you getting the CPU’s from? There aren’t many new socket 939 CPUs being sold now.

another vote for the 4800 if you can get your hands on one, that is one of the best chips on 939

I typically get my parts from the warehouses in the City Of Industry from the manufacturers. Newegg is in the same neighborhood. Just a leisurely drive away. Everything is available because unsold stock is always my treasure chest. Also there are a lot of warehouses in Silicon Valley north of here.

[QUOTE=slytrans69;2046267]I typically get my parts from the warehouses in the City Of Industry from the manufacturers. Newegg is in the same neighborhood. Just a leisurely drive away. Everything is available because unsold stock is always my treasure chest. Also there are a lot of warehouses in Silicon Valley north of here.[/QUOTE]

I’m envious.

[QUOTE=slytrans69;2046267]I typically get my parts from the warehouses in the City Of Industry from the manufacturers. Newegg is in the same neighborhood. Just a leisurely drive away. Everything is available because unsold stock is always my treasure chest. Also there are a lot of warehouses in Silicon Valley north of here.[/QUOTE]

I thought Newegg doesn’t have will call. I’m not far from their warehouse or this might be “Who you know not what you know” thing :stuck_out_tongue:

Yo slytrans69-

I just changed from the AMD x2 4400+ to the Opteron 180 (which is the Opteron similar to the x2 4800+ but faster and somewhat more hardy)-

It is currently residing in my 'puter oc’ed slightly to 2502 and running at a very stable 87f-

I got it as a new boxed cpu with heatsink/fan offa ebay for $175 shipped-eh!!

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz (Black Edition) - 87.99
GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H - 79.99 (add 10$ for 780G chipset)
Mushkin 2Gb DDR2 PC6400 - 38.99
207$ for a new (faster cpu), mobo (good one), memory (stock)
Cant really say that 175$ for an Opteron 180 is a “power buy” looking at the above and having in mind that TDP is much higher for an Opteron CPU.
These prices are from Newegg.
//Danne

Yo DiiZzY-

Good analysis - however OP looks like he’s trying to stay with his 939 socket board (Like I did)-eh!!

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2059383]Yo slytrans69-

I just changed from the AMD x2 4400+ to the Opteron 180 (which is the Opteron similar to the x2 4800+ but faster and somewhat more hardy)-

It is currently residing in my 'puter oc’ed slightly to 2502 and running at a very stable 87f-

I got it as a new boxed cpu with heatsink/fan offa ebay for $175 shipped-eh!![/QUOTE]

That sounds like a pretty good deal. I am using an AS Rock 939 Dual-SATA2 in my test PC. I have the daughter board, which is an AM2 with four DDR2 RAM slots. This great for testing DDR and DDR2 RAM as well as Socket 939 and AM2 CPU’s. I have two HD’s, one with Vista Ultimate 64Bit SP-1 and the other with XP Pro Corp.64Bit SP-2. I always play ring around the motherboard. The CPU I get, if I like it, will then go into a motherboard I will buy for my main PC, and that one will go into the PC in my shop, which will in turn go into a tower a cheap sale or give away to a friend who wants to get a first PC. This motherboard will support an Opteron 185, but I like what you got. The 185’s are all over $250.00. Who is buying those old CUP’s for that much dinar o? Thanks for the tip. Also this MB is extremely overclockable for both CPU and RAM!

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2059394]AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz (Black Edition) - 87.99
GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H - 79.99 (add 10$ for 780G chipset)
Mushkin 2Gb DDR2 PC6400 - 38.99
207$ for a new (faster cpu), mobo (good one), memory (stock)
Cant really say that 175$ for an Opteron 180 is a “power buy” looking at the above and having in mind that TDP is much higher for an Opteron CPU.
These prices are from Newegg.
//Danne[/QUOTE]

I just checked out Newegg. Luckily for me they are not very far, 20 minute drive. That is socket AM2. I have the AM2 daughter card for this motherboard, and I do not yet have an AM2 CPU. It does support up to 5200+. So far I only use it to work on people who bring in PC’s to work on. Most of the new store bought Vista PC’s are running AM2 CPU’s. I hadn’t thought about TDP because even though it has been 100 degrees all week, I have an AC in the window beside my PC desk so I never worry about that. My HTPC is at the other end of the same room and my test PC is on a rolling work table on the side of the same room. My PC in the shop is next to an AC also. Obviously I do not like heat. The ocean is my perfect temp.
This AM2 might be perfect for my HTPC. It is hooked up to my motorized dish, cable, HD roof antennae, and ATSC tuner card. Thanks

By steping up to the new AM2 gear and getting one of the 65W or 45W parts you actually save a good amount on the electric bill comparted to getting one of the older 100+ watt cpu’s. Any difference in price is made up for in the first year of electric bills. Also by having a PC that generates less heat, the air conditioner doesn’t have to run as long to cool the room, again saving more electricity. Same thing goes for when people switch over to compact flourescent bulbs, they not only use less electricity they also generate less heat.

[QUOTE=Charlie T;2056744]I thought Newegg doesn’t have will call. I’m not far from their warehouse or this might be “Who you know not what you know” thing :p[/QUOTE]

I have a resale number.

Yo slytrans69-

linkie to ebay $175 opteron 180 (only three left and 14 more hours)-eh

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMD-Opteron-X2-Dual-Core-180-SKT-939-Pin-2-4Ghz-Retail_W0QQitemZ350060510328QQihZ022QQcategoryZ80142QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2059562]Yo slytrans69-

linkie to ebay $175 opteron 180 (only three left and 14 more hours)-eh

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMD-Opteron-X2-Dual-Core-180-SKT-939-Pin-2-4Ghz-Retail_W0QQitemZ350060510328QQihZ022QQcategoryZ80142QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Currently scanning inputs. My search key before was “Socket 939 Opteron”. I just changed it to 180 Opteron" and got lots of 'em instead of only a couple. The $175’s are gone, but there is one for $75 coming up. I’ll see what it will cost. Buy it now ones are $179.

I have 2 Socket 939 computers both running Opteron Dual Core, I have 1X 185 and 1X 180. I have the 185 running at 2.6 and the 180 @2.4. I love them both. Both are suffienent to run most programs, the 185 is even powerful enough to run HD or Bluray. I will upgrade when the new 45 nm chips are available at a reasonable price.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2059913]I have 2 Socket 939 computers both running Opteron Dual Core, I have 1X 185 and 1X 180. I have the 185 running at 2.6 and the 180 @2.4. I love them both. Both are suffienent to run most programs, the 185 is even powerful enough to run HD or Bluray. I will upgrade when the new 45 nm chips are available at a reasonable price.[/QUOTE]

I have two socket 939 computer too. Towards the end of last year I decided to pick up two dual core processors before they became scarce. I got a 2.2 ghz with 512k cache and a 2.0 ghz with 256k cache. The 2.2 ghz is over clocked to 2.8 ghz and the 2.0 ghz is over clocked to 2.4 ghz. It really made a difference and now I can probably use these computers, as is, for another 1-1.5 years. I got the 2.2 ghz for around $60 and the 2.0 ghz for $40. Combined with 2 gig of RAM they really are decent performers. I figure the current state of the art quad cores will be cheap by the time I upgrade again.

A good dual core CPU (any socket) is usually good enough to keep up with current video cards and run most game very well. I do think the time has passed to consider upgrading S939 systems to dual core as the only CPU’s left are more expensive than changing to an AM2 CPU, DDR2 RAM and an AM2+ motherboard.

The difference between the Athlon 64X2 and the Opteron is that the Opteron has three transport streams instead of just one. Therefore it will run faster even with a slower MHz rating.