Which 8x DVD writer to buy?

vbimport

There are now many 8x DVD writers to choose from. Most cost around US$100 at least in Japan, US, and Europe. Most reviewers and other users seem to like NEC, Lite-On, and Pioneer 8x writers especially.

Choose your most favorite one.

At this point I like my NEC 2500 and all the new things Herrie and the Dangeruos Brothers are cooking up for it. I would also consider a Nutek 082 as it has bitsetting for all media and the write quality I’ve seen lately with most media is as good as my 2500, they also seem to be on top of trying to keep firmware updates and fixes coming and might also release a dual layer upgrade just like they probably will for the 2500.

i just picked up a liteon 851s today :slight_smile:

So far i like my NEC 2500A :wink: … maybe TDK 880 should be here too ? :slight_smile:

Originally posted by deto77
So far i like my NEC 2500A :wink: … maybe TDK 880 should be here too ? :slight_smile:

TDK880 is a rebaged NEC2500 problem with TDK is lack of firmware support.

I’m currently using a Lite-On LDW-811S without problems. Works great and hasn’t burned a coaster with Memorex or Ritek media.

Here in South Korea, LDW-812S seems to be the cheapest 8x DVD writer, available easily and widely. NEC and LG cost about 20 percent more. Pioneer DVR-A07 costs nearly 50% more.

Um, what’s a 801S and a SOHC-812S? :wink:

Originally posted by code65536
Um, what’s a 801S and a SOHC-812S? :wink:

I realized I made some errors there just after I posted this thread rather in haste, sorry. :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Kenshin
I realized I made some errors there just after I posted this thread rather in haste, sorry. :slight_smile:

Fixed. Sorry for being lazy. :slight_smile:

LDW-401S
LDW-411S
LDW-811S
SOHW-812S
SOHW-832S

are correct model names.

Originally posted by Kenshin
SOHW-832S

Yes, I want to get this one now!! Say, where can I find it? :wink: :smiley: :bigsmile:

Originally posted by code65536
Yes, I want to get this one now!! Say, where can I find it? :wink: :smiley: :bigsmile:

At Lite-On I think. :slight_smile:

Okay this is what I’ve been searching for… 3 days of lurking and searching finaly paid off. I just placed my order for an NEC 2500A!

I own 1 Pioneer A03 and a couple Emprex 1004’s which I’ve been pleased with but none have the possibility of a Dual-Layer upgrade like the NEC may have.

Is there a bargraph URL to a “Which DVD-R Media to Buy?”
I’ve been pulling my hair out for months trying to find the right Hardware/Media compination to give me the best preformance on the widest variety of HOME DVD Players (Toshiba, Philips, Sony, etc)!

Great group!

What are the advantages of the different models?

I want to be able to back-up dvd movies - so far my TRANSONIC dvd player ($50US) has chewed up two - it spins too fast and makes weird noises, but so do all the cheap DVD-players around here.

I need a burner that can burn DVD-R and +R that can be read on a PS2 drive also, as well as burning movies.

I’m looking at the Pioneer A07/107, the LiteON 851 and 812 and the NEC 2500 drive.

The best DVD-R/+R media here is Verbatim (MMC), so chances are I’ll need a burner with pretty good media compatibility and burns.

Which would be the best for me, and why?

Also, is the A06/106 a stronger burner than the 107?

Cheers,
Kyrowire

Originally posted by KyRoWire
[B]What are the advantages of the different models?

I want to be able to back-up dvd movies - so far my TRANSONIC dvd player ($50US) has chewed up two - it spins too fast and makes weird noises, but so do all the cheap DVD-players around here.

I need a burner that can burn DVD-R and +R that can be read on a PS2 drive also, as well as burning movies.

I’m looking at the Pioneer A07/107, the LiteON 851 and 812 and the NEC 2500 drive.

The best DVD-R/+R media here is Verbatim (MMC), so chances are I’ll need a burner with pretty good media compatibility and burns.

Which would be the best for me, and why?

Also, is the A06/106 a stronger burner than the 107?

Cheers,
Kyrowire [/B]

If you want a well-rounded drive with great CD burning and good reading, then get a LiteOn. If you want the best in burn quality, get a NEC or maybe a Pioneer.

It really depends on what your priorities are. As a LiteOn owner, I’m very pleased with my drive. I feed it decent media (Riteks & Ricohs) (it’s not that expensive) and it’s always giving me great burns. If you want to use cheaper media (like Princos :Z), then you’ll need to get a burner that can handle them better like the NEC.

Hi All
I`ve been reading these threads for a few days now & just had to sign up. Great info here & very informative on all accounts.

I have been using a Lite-On LDW 851S for for about 8 weeks with a few coasters here & there using Ritek Datasafe G04 / Verbitam Data Life Plus. The reading of the Lite-On is very good but Im not so sure about the writing from it? However Ive just purchased a Nec 2500a. I am now reading with the Lite-On (slave) & writing with the Nec (Master) & all seems very good at the moment.
Quest Solver

I chose a Lite-On SOHW-812s and have been very pleased with it so far…great firmware support.:slight_smile:

Don’t forget to note that the TDK 880N is a rebadged version of the NEC-2500a,and a damn good burner at that…:wink:

I went with the Nutech and I had problems with it, LONG story for those of you who are curious, but to cut a long story short the techies told me that i have a 50-50 chance that the dual layer f/w update will work, I tried it and it wont allow me to burn DVD-R, the drives have a lot of problems, samething with the mt.ranier support, they told me it doesnt work. So I looked at the 811s, great all around drive, dvdwriting quality could be better though, but still I can’t complain, some problems though with cheaper media, use the known brands just in case. Liteon 812s seems to have quite a few bugs, and dvd writin quality isn’t that good, NEC has its ups and downs, but a very good choice, proportional good/bad advantages. Then I saw the review on cdrinfo about the toshiba SD-R5272 and I bought it, and to tell you the truth I dont know what to complain about for this drive cept maybe the DAE speed could be higher, but still a damn good drive. Great reader/writer, with CD/DVDs. It supports the latests Safedisc versions for those of you who “backup” games. audio ripps is good but it doesn’t support key2audio. thats not a problem cause all you gotta do is jump on kazaa lite and your done. One other cool thing about this drive is DVDRAM reading. Most drives dont support that. NEC has poor reading, few features, (even with herries f/w)but great writing, liteon has great features and good cd burning, good reading, but average dvd writing quality with the right media, and the tosh has verygood cd/ good dvd writing quality, excellent reading, lots of features, cd/dvd compatibility, and very good price comparable to the nec and liteon. This is the best choice ive seen so far, but this is my opinion, ill do some serious in depth testing and see whats up, and then ill confirm my statement of the tosh, but so far sooooo great.

Hey, I’ve heard so many good things about the Lite-On Drives…Which is the best to get. I only need to write to DVD-R for backup of Downlaods, I also trade anime frequently and CD-Rs are far to expensive compared to DVD- media. Can anyone recommend me to a great DVD±RW drive, it just needs to produce great results on CD & DVD media.

I’m not fussed by speeds just write quality, i need a drive to write to low qulaity discs well…