Which 3500A firmware is stable and does SL bitsetting?

I haven’t gotten my ND-3500A yet, but it’ll be here Wednesday so I’m posting here and a couple of other places asking questions in preperation to start to use it out of the box like I need to.

I understand it will ship with 2.16 firmware which supports bitsetting on DL media only. I’m not doing any DL burns at the moment, just DVD5 backups of PS2 games. However, I would like to make some DVD-R movies but I’m afraid my DVD player might be too old (about 2, 2 1/2 years) and I figured that bitsetting some DVD+R discs as DVD-ROM might be good.

Can anyone tell me which firmware will meet my needs and how to flash? I would PERFER to flash in Windows, but I can boot DOS from a CD if needed (it’s kinda a pain) Anyways. Thanks for your help!

Try “Search”…

2.C7 (3500Fast.exe) is what you want (stable &good writing quality bases on TDK’s FW). To get SL media bitsetting, you’ll need to flash with 2.F8 (MD16Fast.exe) first, then use book type utility (WinBType.exe) to change SL &DL media booktype to DVD-ROM. Finally flash with 2.C7 (3500Fast.exe)

You can get them from http://tdb.rpc1.org/index.htm

2.C7 -->read NEC ND-3500AG
"BETA TDK 1616N Version reporting as “_NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG” 2.C7 DOS, and 2.C7 Windows. "

2.F8 -->read MAD DOG MD-16XDVD9
“BETA Version 2.F8 TDB Windows Flasher includes DVD +R SL and DL Book Type setting tool.”

I love how on every forum someone will take the time to post “Search…” instead of a valid answer. Kinda eliminates the advantage the Internet has for information. I realize the search button is a valuable tool, but there’s just so make invalid posts that contain the search words I was putting in.

Anyways. For stablility and such I should use: “BETA TDK 1616N Version reporting as “_NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG” 2.C7 DOS, and 2.C7 Windows.” and for DVD+R bitsetting: “BETA MAD DOG Book Type Version reporting as “_NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG” 2.F8 DOS, and 2.F8 Windows.”?

When I try to download from the dangerous brothers, it says I’m trying to do an offsite link or something. I’m using their forum page.

Also, does the “Windows” packages on tdb website include a windows flasher? Can someone link me to both the 2.C7 and 2.F8 firmwares?

Also, what is RPC and riplock and things like that?

The answers are Yes, Yes, &Yes. Just doubleclick the link below (such as http://tdb.rpc1.org/index.htm), scroll down the page to find NEC ND-3500AG &MAD DOG MD-16XDVD9 and click on the links as in cyan below to download them.

You can get them from http://tdb.rpc1.org/index.htm
2.C7 -->read NEC ND-3500AG
"BETA TDK 1616N Version reporting as “_NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG” 2.C7 DOS, and 2.C7 Windows. "

2.F8 -->read MAD DOG MD-16XDVD9
“BETA Version 2.F8 TDB Windows Flasher includes DVD +R SL and DL Book Type setting tool.”

Kenton, given that you are new and haven’t followed the numerous threads that have people reporting the results of different firmware, it does get very tiresome when the answers are all there. Have you read the Read first threads? From the TDB website, it’s clearly shown the two firmwares that you are looking for are all the way at the bottom had you scrolled down. Once you’ve downloaded the zipped or rar’ed files, you can find out what is inside those files.

Since you have about 3 days until you receive the drive, why not spend some time reading through the threads?

Yo KTL-

AMEN!!!

Mike

Everyone has their own opinioins for a completely stock firmware I would use 2.27 it has both dl and sl bitsetting and the lastest write strategies…

What is wrong with original F/W 2.16 that came with the drive? I have had my NEC ND-3500AG with F/W 2.16 almost for a week, in using it for ripping, reading and burning process absolutely flawless. Automatically set the burning DVD disc at DVD-ROM format using Nero as burning tools.

Nothing, as long as you don’t need single layer DVD+R bitsetting, can live with the riplock and don’t need your drive to be region free.

What is riplock, is that the firmware that keeps the OEM drives ripping at slower speeds than the retail drives?

RPC is region protection (i.e. I’m region 1 because I’m in North America)?? right?

And so the official NEC 2.17 supports +R bitsetting?

No, unlike Pioneer, there is no difference between OEM and retail version of the drive. Both have riplock enabled with the stock firmware. And yes, riplock means that ripping protected DVD discs is limited to a certain speed on purpose, although the drive could rip them (much) faster.

RPC is region protection (i.e. I’m region 1 because I’m in North America)?? right?

RPC stands for “Region Playback Control”. The difference between RPC I (-> hacked firmware) and RPC II (-> stock firmware; all drives sold today have to be RPC II) is that the latter only allows you to change the region of your drive five times, while the former allows unlimited region changes (important for people who view / rip DVDs from different regions often). But having a ‘region free’ (-> RPC I) drive / firmware alone is not sufficient, the region protection scheme includes the OS and software player as well. And yes, North America = Region 1.

And so the official NEC 2.17 supports +R bitsetting?

Official NEC 2.17 firmware is not out (yet), so we don’t know. Modified firmware by TDB and Herrie as well as official firmware by NEC OEMs like TDK, Maddog and IODATA do support SL +R bitsetting already. Read the sticky threads for details.

@igkahn, the 2.27 firmware doesn’t support Ritek DL unfortunately. And it does not have the latest writing strategy. The latest is TDK 2.78, but I am having a little problem with it now. Read my other thread.

With TDK firmware you can have Ritek DL support.

I FLASHED IN WINDOWS USING HERRIES 2.17 AND IT WAS VERY VERY EASY-AFTER REBOOT IT RECONIZED THE DRIVE AS 3500AG --WORKS GREAT–WELL THATS WHAT I KNOW ABOUT THIS FLASH SOFTWARE CAUSE I HAVE USED IT. YES FLASHED IN WINDOWS (NOTE U NEED TO DOWNLOAD RAR TO UNZIP FILE-- EAASY TO FIND THOUGH)
HOPE THIS AS WELL AS OTHER MEMBER HAS HELP :iagree:

Where did you download Herries 2.17? His website has been taken offline

Found it via search button :wink: