Which 240 - 250 gig SSD to get

vbimport

Im building a new computer and Im a bit stuck on what drive to get. The ones Im looking at in my price range are the Samsung 840 Evo, the Sandisk Ultra Plus and the Crucial M500.

I can find all the fresh benchmarks in the world but steady state benches are much harder to find…especially with the M500 240, seems people skip that and just test the 480 gig…problem is they have vastly different speeds so you cant interpolate anything to the 240 by looking at the 480. On Fresh drives the 840 Evo and the Ultra plus are clear winners. But from what Im seeing is they both suffer a lot in steady state.

So anyone have any real world results with a drive that actually has stuff on it? I have a feeling that these drives may even out as they actually get used…

Get the OCZ Vector 150 for 189.00 at Newegg. Its 240gb (223gb after format) but its got the best warrantee and its the best SSD they ever made. Price isn’t bad either…

Was really trying to keep it under 150…but that does seem like a pretty good deal.

Both the evo and the m500 are very good SSD’s, both drives have a solid performance and are very well build. If you can find the Sandisk extreme you should also look at that drive.
Notice that all three manufacturers make their NAND and also have total control over the firmware, also the Vector is an excellent drive.

You can always leave some un-partitioned space on your SSD drive as OP, 10GB would do the job, and you will have a hard time noticing a drop in pref romance.

Any reason not to get the Seagate 600? Speeds are pretty good, its very consistent, its got good endurance and the price is right at 139:

Seems as good as if not better that the 840 Evo and the M500 in that range and maybe only slightly worse than the OCZ but 50 bucks less…

The seagate 600 SSD is also a very good drive, if you can find it at a good price, go for it.

[QUOTE=loki993;2719091]Any reason not to get the Seagate 600? Speeds are pretty good, its very consistent, its got good endurance and the price is right at 139:

Seems as good as if not better that the 840 Evo and the M500 in that range and maybe only slightly worse than the OCZ but 50 bucks less…[/QUOTE]

I agree with Vroom, good choice.:wink: