Where's my jitter?

I have a Liteon 165h6 HS0D. I tried CDspeed 4.7.0.0. No jitter. I checked the Jitter DVD box on the Advanced menu and I tried all speeds. Still no jitter.

I tried DVDscan. No jitter there either. Where’s my jitter?

Is the amount of jitter a function of the quality of the burner or the quality of the disc, or both?

I heard only the latest Lite-On 18x supports that. I could be wrong thr.

It’s a function of the quality of the disc :slight_smile:
Other Liteys support jitter check too, but please use the latest, experimental firmware. :wink:
Even my old LiteOn SHW-16H5S does that, with the new firmware LV4D on it. :bigsmile:

Not sure what firmware you need but you need to scan at 4x.

Did you try that?

Let us know…

I tried 4x. And 1x, 2x, 6x, 8x, 12x, and maximum.

I may try to find the experimental firmware, or maybe I’ll just do nothing :slight_smile:

If you notice I haven’t even bothered to update to the latest official Liteon firmware. Hmmm, maybe I’ll try that. Gotta be done sometime.

On the subject of firmware, does this drive learn as it burns? If so, would it forget what it learned if I flashed new firmware?

When I start a Disc Quality scan with jitter enabled using 4x speed, it takes several seconds after the spin-up before anything happens in CDSpeed, so it’s possible that you’re being too impatient. The other scanning speeds don’t work (properly) if you enable jitter scanning AFAIK.

On the subject of firmware, does this drive learn as it burns? If so, would it forget what it learned if I flashed new firmware?
If you have enabled HyperTuning, the drive will learn, otherwise it won’t. If you upgrade firmware to another firmware with a compatible HyperTuning version, the learned media is remembered - otherwise the learned media is reset.

That’s the theory, but please don’t ask me which firmwares have compatible HyperTuning versions.

It was firmware. I put in the latest official Liteon HS0E, and I now get the wiggly purple line (at 4x) :bow:

Well, how far back is the capability supposed to go? I get a nice purple line with a SOHW-1633S@1653S CS0R @ 4x. Is the line meaningless? :slight_smile:

Could you post a screenshot of such a scan, please?! :slight_smile:

This was burned and read by the same drive.

Algol, I don’t know about the jitter, but that’s an awesome scan.

My litey 1693 is a great reader, often reporting 1/2 or even 1/3 the PIFs of my new 6 series, but I never got one that good. Or maybe these things don’t show all the PIFs. :confused:

My 1693 doesn’t show jitter but it doesn’t have the latest firmware either.

The jitter values are way too high. :slight_smile:
I’ve only seen discs with a jitter high like this if they were severely broken, or if they were burned by LG GSA-x1xx and scanned by a BenQ. :wink:

Algol

Would you do a transfer rate test? I suspect that the drive under-reports PIE/PIF, assuming that the jitter returned is correct.

Same disc, same drive.

The PIE rates are not consistent with the jitter levels. Either the PIE rates reported are too low, or the jitter values are too high. I tend to believe that the former is true.

It seems that disc is not bad enough to cause reading problems by that drive, but it is quite possible that it will be unreadable by other drives not before long. I hope I am wrong though.

Being a contrarian by nature, I disagree :slight_smile: I guess the jitter is wrong. The PIFs might be low. They seem to be with my 1693, but I’ve no reason to doubt the PIEs.

It might be interesting to test the jitter with DVDscan. When I do, it gives a different result than CDspeed. So far though, DVDscan gives higher results than CDspeed, but nothing as high as this.

Evidently some Ritek media scan very well at first, but deteriorate rapidly. See.
However, the jitter must be wrong as kg_evilboy says. Compare.

@ steve b – When using your 1693 was the jitter check box greyed out under Advanced options?

No. It’s the only thing that’s not grayed out. But when I scan, I get no jitter. I’m using the KC4B “experimental” firmware from the codeguys site. I’m guessing it’s not based on the latest Liteon firmware, but I don’t know for sure.

Anyway I do get jitter from my new Litey 165H6, and this 1693 is working fine for my purposes so I don’t think I’ll change the firmware.

You are not serious then.

I guess the jitter is wrong.
There is no evidence for that.

The PIFs might be low.
You are not a downright contrarian after all.

I’ve no reason to doubt the PIEs.
Enough reasons have been given somewhewe else.

It might be interesting to test the jitter with DVDscan. When I do, it gives a different result than CDspeed. So far though, DVDscan gives higher results than CDspeed
Right

Sorry, but you have misundersood that information.

How about measuring jitter with DVDScan also?