Where's my CPU?

vbimport

Hey guys...a friend of mine got a new computer so I took their old Pentium I, 166MHz and upgraded it.

I popped out the 166MHz CPU and put in a 233MHz Intel CPU however it is still showing up as 166MHz? Anybody know whats going on?

I thought maybe the max for the motherboard was 166MHz but the only limitations I know about is for RAM. The computer works fine but I just want to make sure I get the most out of the CPU.

Any suggestions? Thanks...

have you tried adjusting the multiplier for the cpu frequency?

huh?

go in to your bios and look of there are some kind of cpu settings…

or ask your friend for the manual of motherboard

Could be your mobo has a few jumpers on it that need to be set differently. By setting the jumpers differently you alter some hardware settings and thus allowing your mobo (motherboard) to work with the CPU as it should.

A make and model of your mobo would be helpful in this respect…

I hate to shout this but

Read !

The !

Friendly !

Manual !

Unfortunately there is no manual available…but thanks for your suggestions.

Originally posted by Sh82nKraZy
Unfortunately there is no manual available…but thanks for your suggestions.

You can often read the make and model right of the mobo, or an indication at startup.

When you know who the manufacturer is and what the exact model is, it is very well possible that the manual can be downloaded from the manufacturer’s website…

And it might be one of those motherboards that will see only up to a certain cpu. I have a gateway box that will only see a 133 when a 200 is in it.

Look on the motherboard, around the cpu, and look for the things that start looking like 1.5x 2.0x and etc, Also what is also helpful if you start up the pc look at the screen, Note the information that it tells you, i.e(Phoenix bios, aMi , award bios)

The things with the 1.5x, etc these are the multipliers and the other things are the voltage usually. The things have little black cap-looking things on them. These are called jumpers.

My technician here told me that since its an old board i have to play around with the jumpers too. When I get home ill check it out. Thanks for you help guys.

Originally posted by Sh82nKraZy
My technician here told me that since its an old board i have to play around with the jumpers too. When I get home ill check it out. Thanks for you help guys.

You didn’t trust our judgement? :wink:

Couldn’t he tell you what the make and model was, so you can search for an online manual?

I didn’t show it to him, I just told him what was going on like I told you guys and that was his response.

And thank you for your advice…I got it to go up to its max, 200Mhz. But I learned something new…and thats better than the upgrade!

why ask us when you have your own technician:bigsmile:

And still nobody here has a clue what the brand and type of the motherboard is… christ almighty… how do you think we could help you if you give us such little information !?

come on sh8… you know better than that.

why ask us when you have your own technician

Because some of you know more than he’ll ever know. Plus, I asked him for a second opinion.

And still nobody here has a clue what the brand and type of the motherboard is… christ almighty… how do you think we could help you if you give us such little information !?

Oh yea…and its a P5VX-Be by Elitegroup. How do you think I found out how where the jumpers go? I found a page where it gave me info about the CPU jumpers, however it only showed me where to put them for 200MHz. That was the highest speed they had.

Didn’t you see my post? You guys did help me even though I provided such little info. :bow: CDFreaks :bow:

I know you found your answer, but I have a little trick I figured out to share with everyone.

In your bios make sure “Halt on All Errors” is selected. Now if you need the version number of your bios or other information but the the bios screen just flies by to fast, just unplug the keyboard when the screen comes up and it will halt, leaving you plenty of time to write down any needed info.