Where's debro's lizard gone?

Oh no!
I’ve lost my lizard! I loved that little lizard … it’s been there for a loooong time … so long, that I guess I’ve just taken it for granted.

I just never expected it to ever go missing … I didn’t think it was detachable, or relocatable …

Hey hang on … get your mind out of the gutters …

I’m actually talking about the little lizard in Suse linux … It’s the equivalent to the start button in windo:doh:ws …

I don’t understand … a fresh install of suse 10.3 (a great heaping pile of poo, riddled with dung beetles … err … bugs) and my lizards gone …

Anyone have any ideas where I can find the lizard?

Has debro lost his marbles too?

It’s not a lizard! The mascot of SUSE is commonly referred to as a gecko called Geeko, but is actually a chameleon.

This of any help?

you know if you would take better care of your lizzard it wouldn’t run away.

[QUOTE=debro;1916443]Oh no!
I’ve lost my lizard! I loved that little lizard … it’s been there for a loooong time … so long, that I guess I’ve just taken it for granted.

I just never expected it to ever go missing … I didn’t think it was detachable, or relocatable …

Hey hang on … get your mind out of the gutters …

I’m actually talking about the little lizard in Suse linux … It’s the equivalent to the start button in windo:doh:ws …

I don’t understand … a fresh install of suse 10.3 (a great heaping pile of poo, riddled with dung beetles … err … bugs) and my lizards gone …

Anyone have any ideas where I can find the lizard?

Has debro lost his marbles too?[/QUOTE]
The lizard had more sense that to upgrade until all the bugs have been worked out :stuck_out_tongue:

Yo D-

Sorry to hear that your lizard has gone missing - does this mean that the engagement is off too-eh??

Nah … but the sex-life is a gonner til I find the damn lizard :stuck_out_tongue:

@honeydew … well … 10.2 was great … and I did upgrade my box (new mobo,cpu, ram & Ati2900) & had to reinstall anyway … so I thought I might as well upgrade the OS while I was at it.

Ater installing the updates & the vid drivers … my mouse went nuts … totally nuts . insanely nuts … And safe mode didn’t work either :stuck_out_tongue:

And I was gonna put 10.2 back on … but it get’s partway through the install (from the DVD) and decides that I don’t actually have any optical drives :stuck_out_tongue:

So I reinstalled 10.3 … and the vid drivers I compiled for 10.2 and it works fine … except that I’ve lost my Lizard.

I suspect the optical drives & the lizard are in cahoots, and are united in their quest to drive me more insane than the hat.
[B]insaneHat![/B]

[quote=debro;1917054]Nah … but the sex-life is a gonner til I find the damn lizard :stuck_out_tongue:

@honeydew … well … 10.2 was great … and I did upgrade my box (new mobo,cpu, ram & Ati2900) & had to reinstall anyway … so I thought I might as well upgrade the OS while I was at it.

Ater installing the updates & the vid drivers … my mouse went nuts … totally nuts . insanely nuts … And safe mode didn’t work either :stuck_out_tongue:

And I was gonna put 10.2 back on … but it get’s partway through the install (from the DVD) and decides that I don’t actually have any optical drives :stuck_out_tongue:

So I reinstalled 10.3 … and the vid drivers I compiled for 10.2 and it works fine … except that I’ve lost my Lizard.

I suspect the optical drives & the lizard are in cahoots, and are united in their quest to drive me more insane than the hat.
[B]insaneHat![/B]

[/quote]Careful now, PUT DOWN THE HAT!!! and come out with your lizard out

I’ve found the Lizard … but I have to switch to Suse style menus, rather than KDE style menus.

[QUOTE=debro;1917054]@honeydew … well … 10.2 was great … and I did upgrade my box (new mobo,cpu, ram & Ati2900) & had to reinstall anyway … so I thought I might as well upgrade the OS while I was at it.

So I reinstalled 10.3 … and the vid drivers I compiled for 10.2 and it works fine … except that I’ve lost my Lizard.[/QUOTE]

I had the same mouse issue during my episode of annoyance with 10.1… quite irritating.
Maybe it’s the ghost of 10.1 come back to haunt you and the lizard is scared :stuck_out_tongue:

As someone who’s installing Suse tonight should I go with 10.2 or 10.3? What’s better in terms of usability/features/stability?

10.3 is way better debro just had a minor hiccup that’s over now :wink:

Ah good to know, better set it off downloading the iso now then!

It’s openSUSE I want right? And also, is it better to get the CD or the DVD download?

10.2 is rock solid stable … but relatively slow.

10.3 is kickass fast … but … seems to have a few niggling issues. It’s ok now that I’e installed video drivers that I compiled for 10.2 , rather than the 10.3 compiled drivers for 10.3 :slight_smile:

The DVD will have the majority of mainstream packages (programs) available to you. It’s the best way to go … especially if you will install on multiple PC’s.

The CD will get you started though … it’ll just thrash your Internet connection for anything extra -> this can be AFTER it’s all installed … you don’t have to select everything at install time :wink:

[QUOTE=debro;1917200]I’ve found the Lizard … but I have to switch to Suse style menus, rather than KDE style menus.[/QUOTE]

Oh god! The lizard tricked me!
It only turned up so it could steal my entire menu bar!

Oh where, oh where has debro’s menu bar gone? Oh where, oh where can it be?

LOL, I just realised my 2000th post was in this topic!

Also, grabbed the DVD via bittorrent and I think I should be now ready to do this!

Lol!
From the desktop properties, i was able to add a menu bar to the top of the screen.

From the top menu bar, i was now able to add the default KDE menu options to the bar.
Running in the KDE menu ->Personal settings, I was able to change the menubars hiding attributes.

Somehow it managed to set itself to auto-hide after 3 seconds … and the only way to get it to pop up was to flick the mouse to the top right corner of the screen … WTF?

Obviously flicking your mouse pointer to the top right corner of the screen makes perfect sense to someone looking for a menubar at the bottom of the screen … right? Right?

I suspect that some of the KDE developers are smoking some serious stuff before adding the myriad of options … which have so far managed to turn themselves on in 10.3 :stuck_out_tongue:

Woot! Managed to get it installed with minimal fuss…now the fun of making stuff work. First on the list is my printer!

Yast will be the first place to go :wink:

It might be in the huge list of already supported printers.
Failing that, you can probably download a pre-compiled printer driver for your printer :wink:

I was rather thrilled that someone had already done it (and posted it on the web) for my GF’s printer :wink:

Look for the name of your printer & “ppd” and you can just import the printer driver directly from the web, if you printer isn’t supported already :wink:

i told him to do that last night but his printer has shitty drivers in suse. He has to download and compile them himself to get them working