Where to order Restore DVD for Gateway GT4024 Desktop PC

vbimport

I am helping a client Restore a Gateway Desktop PC model GT4024,
s/n XRB6621013838; the Restore DVD p/n 107230 arrived Defective (severe scratches), and thus unusable.

Have been through ** 4 ** tech. support people via phone at Gateway, Live Chat, and now e-mail with Gateway; they allege "Restore DVD no longer available as Gateway PC is too old (2006), and to talk to Local Retailers for Replacement DVD. Local Retailers informed me “we do not keep inventory of Gateway Restore DVDs.”

Any ideas where to obtain the Restore DVD p/n 107230? This is very poor performance on Gateway’s part!

Richard in Louisiana

What happened to the Recovery Partition? You should be able to access it by pressing the F11 key at the prompt.

Also if the F11 isn’t there to use you can and should’ve made restore cd from one of it’s program files that makes the restore cd/dvd for you to reboot if the system was to ever go down. That would bring it up to factory resets. Also I find it hard that gateway did what they did with your restore cd and didn’t give you replacements for them. If you still have the receipt you should talk to someone up higher and demand better recovery cds for what your purchased them for. Considering they arrived as you say damaged they gateway should fix the problem.

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=wordsmith1776;2450131]I am helping a client Restore a Gateway Desktop PC model GT4024,
s/n XRB6621013838; the Restore DVD p/n 107230 arrived Defective (severe scratches), and thus unusable.[/QUOTE]Just an idea: see if you can create a backup of that disc perhaps using another computer. Other drives might handle that scratched disc and should enable you to create a working copy.
My favourites for this dirty job would be Liteon and Samsung (TSST) drives.

Michael

Any of the big name system Mfg’s be it Gateway, Dell, HP, etc., etc., is the same way they
only keep the restore disc available for purchase for so long of a time it is something like 2-3
years. After that you are out of luck getting one from the Mfg you usually have to get one of
them off of ebay or find someone that still has one of the same kind as long as you have the
original install key you should be good to go. The other route you can go is to buy a full Retail
or OEM verison of the OS and install it yourself you will need to find and DL the original drivers
but you loose the extra bundled SW and crap ware that is included on the original restore disc.

Ebay Windows restore disc’s for Gateway

http://computers.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=gateway+&_sacat=11226&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&Platform=Windows%20%28PC%29&_dmpt=US_Software&_odkw=&_osacat=11226

Success; after 6 phone calls to various Gateway techs, the Restore DVD was finally ordered; the F11 Restore option was not available, as evidently the Recovery Partition was wiped out, when someone else attempted Restore with the defective (scratched) DVD. Thanks, everyone, for all the tips!

[QUOTE=wordsmith1776;2450131]I am helping a client Restore a Gateway Desktop PC model GT4024,
s/n XRB6621013838; the Restore DVD p/n 107230 arrived Defective (severe scratches), and thus unusable.

Have been through ** 4 ** tech. support people via phone at Gateway, Live Chat, and now e-mail with Gateway; they allege "Restore DVD no longer available as Gateway PC is too old (2006), and to talk to Local Retailers for Replacement DVD. Local Retailers informed me “we do not keep inventory of Gateway Restore DVDs.”

Any ideas where to obtain the Restore DVD p/n 107230? This is very poor performance on Gateway’s part!

Richard in Louisiana[/QUOTE]

Ok just send em an e-mail, I can help you, I had the same problem and I got fix it by mean of Linux… Install my Original Gateway Software.

[I]Edit by Moderator: jajim58, we don’t allow email addresses in the open forum. If you wish share one, please do so through private messages here at the forum. Also, this particular problem was solved in Oct of 2009. But nice of you to want to help.[/I]