Where to buy iHAS124 "A" version?

Is there any way to tell which is the A version or B version without installing the drive? Will a certain manufacture date cutoff or serial number help me identify a A version drive?

Thanks!

Good luck on finding an A version of that drive now days.
Most of the new ones being sold is either the Y NEC chip-
set or the B version with newer MTK chip-set. The only way
I know to find an A version would be to go there where it is
for sale and to fiscally look at the drive to see what it says. :iagree:

Most place just list them as iHAS 124-0X and do not say what
the rest of the string is whether it is A Y or B and most places
on line will not tell you what it is either :disagree: because one day they
may have the A version and when the next shipment arrives it might
just be the Y or B version as I guess there is no guarantee on what
they will get other than it will be a iHAS 124-0X drive. :confused:

The 0X can stand for 04 or 09 or whatever number they are using at the time.

I got the B version so its still MTK, thats good!

Does it give reliable disc scanning results?

My previous drive was a Liteon 20A1S, brilliant drive but stopped working recently :frowning:

PS: Is anyone working on a custom firmware (FB, EOHT etc) for the B version like Liggy perhaps?

[QUOTE=Eiji;2564075]I got the B version so its still MTK, thats good!

Does it give reliable disc scanning results? [/QUOTE]

Yes it is absolutely a fantastic scanner at least my iHAS124-04 B is anyway. :iagree:

[QUOTE=Eiji;2564075]PS: Is anyone working on a custom firmware (FB, EOHT etc) for the B version like Liggy perhaps? [/QUOTE]

Not sure if we will see and modded FW for the B series anytime soon but maybe
one of these days someone will get around to it. :bigsmile:

As far as I can tell, iHAS524’s are only ‘A’ and 624’s are only ‘B’. That may be the easiest way of getting what you want.

[QUOTE=jubjubbird;2564141]As far as I can tell, iHAS524’s are only ‘A’ and 624’s are only ‘B’. That may be the easiest way of getting what you want.[/QUOTE]

That’s strange, what is the reason that Liteon have kept the iHAS524’s on the A chipset?

Can anyone else confirm that iHAS524’s are only available in A chipset version that is compatible with C0deKings custom firmware?

Also, my [B]iHAS124 B [/B]makes a high pitched sound when a disc is spinning at slow RPM. Is this the case with the [B]A versions?[/B]

[QUOTE=Eiji;2564202]Can anyone else confirm that iHAS524’s are only available in A chipset version that is compatible with C0deKings custom firmware?
[/QUOTE]

Yes, all iHAS524s are true LiteONs based on Mediatek chipsets.

Thank you. Now to purchase an iHAS524!

[QUOTE=Eiji;2564268]Thank you. Now to purchase an iHAS524![/QUOTE]

Well I have yet to see here a confirmation of a ‘B’ 524, and the 524 was the only way to avoid the NEC based 'Y’s

Where are you located? If you do find one, make sure you get the retail boxed version, as on the outside of the box, the serial number sticker states the model and then A, B or Y. If it’s not what you want, send it back saying you’ve changed your mind!

Well, I’m in the UK and ordered from eBuyer since their site said they have 3 in stock but I got an email a few hours later stating they are out of stock :frowning:

I’ve checked lots of retailers online and they all seem to be out of stock of the iHAS524. Is this a discontinued product?

It could very well be discontinued. I got a spare about 6 weeks ago from Amazon, but they don’t have any more other now.

The time of the ‘A’ version may be over :frowning:

Ooh first post!! Me me!!:smiley:
I have a iHAS524.
The model below the S/N barcode is “iHAS524-T98B”

I want the B drive, right? I was confused when I got it in the mail today from the Egg. Manufactured in October 2010. I order it the previous Sunday (from when I posted this)

OK, there are 524 B’s out there now!

A ‘B’ drive will be fine for scanning etc, but there will be no patched firmwares for this (at least for the time being)

[QUOTE=jubjubbird;2565271]OK, there are 524 B’s out there now!

A ‘B’ drive will be fine for scanning etc, but there will be no patched firmwares for this (at least for the time being)[/QUOTE]

So like what’s this mean? I wouldn’t be able to cross-flash this to a iHAS624 and get LightScribe? I’ve never purchased one of those discs so it doesn’t matter to me for the time being.

It looks like the B drive does better burns. It’s not a huge difference, but a small one based on the comparison graphs I’ve found here.

Man, everyone on this forum is anal retentive. 99.99% of people burning discs wouldn’t even care:D

Merry Christmas!

[QUOTE=hceuterpe;2565428]So like what’s this mean?[/QUOTE]

It means that currently there are no third party tools which support the ‘B’ drives. The Flash Utility can dump the firmware OK, but it can’t flash these drives correctly, and its author, C0deKing, has retired…

[QUOTE=hceuterpe;2565428]I wouldn’t be able to cross-flash this to a iHAS624 and get LightScribe?[/QUOTE]

NO, this is impossible! Even if the tools to crossflash the drive were available (which is not the case currently) it is not possible to gain Lightscribe ability by simply flashing a drive with a Lightscribe enabled firmware, because non-Lightscribe drives do not have the hardware necessary to support this function … crossflashing will add the software support for it, but since the additional hardware required to support this function is missing, gaining Lightscribe ability via crossflashing is therefore not possible (this is true for any drive from any maker by the way).